Friend and Profile Visitor Messages

• Thread starter HallsofIvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the new "notifications" feature and the questions raised about "friends" and "Profile Visitor Messages". The conversation covers the meaning of being a "friend" and whether there are easier ways to communicate with friends besides private messaging. The issue of receiving unwanted "Profile Visitor Messages" is also discussed and the possibility of blocking them and only allowing messages from friends is mentioned. It is also mentioned that unwanted requests for homework help should be refused and the member should be directed to the homework forum. To reply to a visitor message, one can click "view conversation" and type a response. It is also noted that being a friend is not significantly different from exchanging private messages, but it can help keep track of friends and
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"Friend" and "Profile Visitor Messages"

I have some questions about the new "notifications".

What does being a "friend" mean? Are there easier ways to communicate with "friends" than "private messaging" that anyone can use?

I have started getting a number of "Profile Visitor Messages" that are really just the same as "private messages", asking me to solve a problem for them or asking about an earlier post. But, unlike "private messages" there does not appear to be any way to "reply" automatically to "profile visitor messages". Is there any way to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org

You can block unwanted "visitor messages" and only allow people you have listed as friends to message you. Of course any request for private homework help should be refused and the member instructed to post in the homework forum, after all, that's why we are here.

To reply to a visitor message, you can click on "view conversation" and type a response that will appear in their message box.

Thank, evo, I appreciate it.

What does it mean to "be a friend"? Why is it different than just exchanging private messages?

I don't think its particularly different but you can keep track of friends easier through your contact pop-up and contacts list. Also if you restrict visitor and private messages to friends and mentors then you can add which users you want to be able to contact you by Pm, e-mail or visitor messaging. So it is useful in that sense if you don't want people you do not know on the forum contacting you.

Related to Friend and Profile Visitor Messages

1. What is a "Friend" on a social media platform?

A "Friend" on a social media platform is someone you have connected with and can view their posts, photos, and updates on your newsfeed. You can also send and receive private messages with them.

2. How do I add a "Friend" on a social media platform?

To add a "Friend" on a social media platform, you can search for their username or name and send them a friend request. Once they accept, you will become friends and have access to their profile and updates.

3. What is a "Profile Visitor Message"?

A "Profile Visitor Message" is a public message that can be left on someone's profile for others to see. It is often used to leave a comment or message for the profile owner.

4. Can I see who has viewed my profile on a social media platform?

No, typically social media platforms do not have a feature that allows users to see who has viewed their profile. This is to protect the privacy of users and prevent stalking.

5. How do I delete a "Friend" or a "Profile Visitor Message"?

To delete a "Friend," you can go to their profile and click on the "Unfriend" or "Remove Friend" option. To delete a "Profile Visitor Message," you can hover over the message and click on the option to delete or hide it.