What is an unapproved visitor message?

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of visitor messages and why they may need to be approved. The members also discussed the effectiveness of private messages in resolving issues and the difference between visitor messages and private messages. It was also mentioned that visitor messages can be moderated to prevent spam.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I got a notification today that said that I have an unapproved visitor message. That's a first for me. When do visitor messages need to be approved?

I noticed that I can approve it myself, so I don't need help with that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lately, we have been having quite a lot of spam in the visitor messages. So in order to fight that, visitor messages of some members had to be approved. Greg can probably explain more, so let's wait for him :biggrin:

What is a visitor message please?

I have seen nothing labelled thus, approved or unapproved.

I do exchange quite a few private messages from those who simply want to resolve a problem quietly without fuss or the intervention of those who want to go tail chasing.
This works very well to the satisfaction of all.

Studiot said:

I have seen nothing labelled thus, approved or unapproved.

I do exchange quite a few private messages from those who simply want to resolve a problem quietly without fuss or the intervention of those who want to go tail chasing.
This works very well to the satisfaction of all.

If you click on a person's avatar and go to their page, there is a place to leave a message for them on that page and you are a visitor there, so ...

[EDIT] I see you have several of them on your page; did you not know that?

Studiot said:
If you click on the "Welcome, Studiot" link in the upper right, you will see yours. If someone leaves a message there, you should get a notification. They differ from PMs in that they're visible to all who visit your profile page.

If you click on the "Welcome, Studiot" link in the upper right, you will see yours. If someone leaves a message there, you should get a notification. They differ from PMs in that they're visible to all who visit your profile page.

Thank you, Fredrik.

I basically never visit that page, since I know who I am.

From time to time we moderate visitor messages to make sure we're not getting spammed "behind our back". I'll look through them in a minute.

Last edited:
Studiot said:
Thank you, Fredrik.

I basically never visit that page, since I know who I am.

I laughed.. haha. thank you.

Related to What is an unapproved visitor message?

1. What is an unapproved visitor message?

An unapproved visitor message is a message left by a user on a website or social media platform that has not been approved by the site or page owner. This means that the message has not been reviewed for content or compliance with the site's rules and regulations.

2. How does a visitor message become unapproved?

A visitor message can become unapproved if it contains inappropriate content, violates the site's terms of use, or is flagged by other users as spam. It can also become unapproved if the site has a moderation system in place that requires all messages to be reviewed before being posted.

3. Can unapproved visitor messages be seen by other users?

In most cases, unapproved visitor messages are not visible to other users. They are usually held in a moderation queue until they are either approved or deleted by the site or page owner.

4. How can I get my unapproved visitor message approved?

If you believe your visitor message was incorrectly marked as unapproved, you can reach out to the site or page owner and request for it to be reviewed. However, if the message violates the site's rules, it may not be approved.

5. Is it possible to delete an unapproved visitor message?

Yes, it is possible for the site or page owner to delete an unapproved visitor message. This is usually done to remove inappropriate or spam content from the site. However, once a message is deleted, it cannot be recovered.