Physics problem involving two snowballs?

• Thread starter bkell27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves two snowballs, A and B, being thrown with a speed of 13 m/s from a roof 7.0 m above the ground. Snowball A is thrown straight downward while snowball B is thrown in a direction 15 degrees above the horizontal. The goal is to find the direction of motion of the two snowballs just before they land, represented by theta A and theta B in degrees to the horizontal. The equations Ymax = Vo^2(sin theta)^2 / 2g and Yfinal = Yo + VoyT +.5ayT^2 were attempted, but did not work. The problem may seem easy, but the person asking for help is confused and stuck on finding the
bkell27
Snowballs are thrown with a speed of 13 m/s from a roof 7.0 m above the ground. Snowball A is thrown straight downward; snowball B is thrown in a direction 15 degrees above the horizontal. Find the direction of motion of the two snowballs just before they land.
theta A = ? and theta B = ? degrees to the horizontal.

For the equations I tried Ymax = Vo^2(sin theta)^2 / 2g, and Yfinal = Yo + VoyT +.5ayT^2, but they obviously didn't work or else I wouldn't be on here.

I'm honestly just confused on this problem. It looks relatively easy but I'm just stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
bkell27 said:
Snowballs are thrown with a speed of 13 m/s from a roof 7.0 m above the ground. Snowball A is thrown straight downward; snowball B is thrown in a direction 15 degrees above the horizontal. Find the direction of motion of the two snowballs just before they land.
theta A = ? and theta B = ? degrees to the horizontal.

For the equations I tried Ymax = Vo^2(sin theta)^2 / 2g, and Yfinal = Yo + VoyT +.5ayT^2, but they obviously didn't work or else I wouldn't be on here.

I'm honestly just confused on this problem. It looks relatively easy but I'm just stuck.

Lets start with the easy one:
If snowball A is thrown straight down, what are the velocities in the x-direction Vx(horizontal) and the y-direction Vy (vertical) initially?

1. How do you calculate the force of impact when two snowballs collide?

The force of impact can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the snowball, and a is the acceleration caused by the collision. This will give you the force in Newtons (N).

2. What factors affect the trajectory of two snowballs thrown at each other?

The factors that affect the trajectory of two snowballs include the initial velocity and angle at which they are thrown, air resistance, and the mass and size of the snowballs. Other factors such as wind speed and direction may also play a role.

3. How does the mass of the snowballs affect the outcome of the collision?

The mass of the snowballs will affect the force of impact and the resulting trajectory. A heavier snowball will have a greater force of impact and may cause the other snowball to change direction more significantly.

4. Can you use the laws of motion to predict the outcome of a collision between two snowballs?

Yes, the laws of motion can be used to predict the outcome of a collision between two snowballs. By applying Newton's laws of motion, you can calculate the forces and accelerations involved and determine the resulting trajectories of the snowballs.

5. How does the surface area of the snowballs affect the collision?

The surface area of the snowballs can affect the amount of air resistance they experience, which may alter their trajectories. A larger surface area may also result in a larger force of impact due to the increased surface area coming into contact during the collision.