Calculating Net Force on a Wheel: Magnitude and Direction | 0.350 m Radius

omal3rab
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Homework Statement
Three forces are applied to a wheel of radius 0.350 m, as shown in the figure. One force is perpendicular to the rim, one is tangent to it, and the other one makes a 40.0 degree angle with the radius, and a 10 degree angle with the horizontal.

a) What is the magnitude of the net force on the wheel? [3 marks]
Relevant Equations
Fnet = sqrt(Fnetx^2 + Fnety^2)
tan(theta)= Fnety/Fnetx
Screenshot (367).png

Three forces are applied to a wheel of radius 0.350 m, as shown in the figure. One force is perpendicular to the rim, one is tangent to it, and the other one makes a 40.0 degree angle with the radius, and a 10 degree angle with the horizontal.

a) What is the magnitude of the net force on the wheel? [3 marks]

I am having trouble with Part a) of this problem, I got Parts b) and c) correct, but theres no answer available for a). I don't know whether I should relate Fnet to 𝜏net. I feel like I shouldn't, since the forces are not all being applied to the same point. I got an answer of Fnet = 14.4 N [-3.44°], is this correct? I made my coordinate system positive going up and to the right, made Fnetx and Fnety statements, then related them by Pythagorean Theorem.

Fnetx: 14.6cos(10) = 14.3782 N
Fnety: 8.5 + 14.6sin(10) - 11.9 = -0.86 N
theta = arctan(0.86/14.3782) = 3.44° (below horizontal, hence the negative sign above)
Fnet: sqrt((14.3782)^2 +(-0.86)^2)) = 14.404 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
omal3rab said:
View attachment 335410I am having trouble with Part a) of this problem, I got Parts b) and c) correct, but theres no answer available for a). I don't know whether I should relate Fnet to 𝜏net. I feel like I shouldn't, since the forces are not all being applied to the same point. I got an answer of Fnet = 14.4 N [-3.44°], is this correct? I made my coordinate system positive going up and to the right, made Fnetx and Fnety statements, then related them by Pythagorean Theorem.

Fnetx: 14.6cos(10) = 14.3782 N
Fnety: 8.5 + 14.6sin(10) - 11.9 = -0.86 N
theta = arctan(0.86/14.3782) = 3.44° (below horizontal, hence the negative sign above)
Fnet: sqrt((14.3782)^2 +(-0.86)^2)) = 14.404 N
Looks ok to me.

Likes omal3rab
erobz said:
Looks ok to me.
Thank you! Does this mean I am correct in my assumption that I can't relate Fnet to Torque net since the forces are not all being applied to the same point? I'm still confused on what's the point of this question, since it doesn't help me solve the next part. I could be overthinking this, but it just seems odd.

omal3rab said:
Thank you! Does this mean I am correct in my assumption that I can't relate Fnet to Torque net since the forces are not all being applied to the same point? I'm still confused on what's the point of this question, since it doesn't help me solve the next part. I could be overthinking this, but it just seems odd.
It's an exercise in vector addition, I wouldn't over think it. The net torque is a different quantity from the net force.

omal3rab said:
Does this mean I am correct in my assumption that I can't relate Fnet to Torque net since the forces are not all being applied to the same point?
Yes.
omal3rab said:
what's the point of this question, since it doesn't help me solve the next part
The point is either to check you understand the difference or perhaps to drive home that they are different.

Likes berkeman

1. What is net force on a wheel?

Net force on a wheel is the combined force acting on the wheel in a specific direction. It takes into account all the individual forces acting on the wheel, such as friction and applied force, and determines the resulting force on the wheel.

2. How do you calculate net force on a wheel?

To calculate net force on a wheel, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the wheel. This can be done using vector addition, where you consider the magnitude and direction of each force. The resulting vector will be the net force on the wheel.

3. What is the magnitude of net force on a wheel?

The magnitude of net force on a wheel is the numerical value of the resulting vector after adding up all the individual forces. It is typically measured in newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

4. How do you determine the direction of net force on a wheel?

The direction of net force on a wheel can be determined by considering the direction of each individual force acting on the wheel. If the forces are acting in the same direction, the net force will be in that direction. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, the net force will be in the direction of the larger force.

5. How does the radius of the wheel affect the net force?

The radius of the wheel can affect the net force in two ways. Firstly, a larger radius will increase the distance from the center of rotation, resulting in a larger moment arm and therefore a larger torque. This can affect the net force by changing the direction of the force. Secondly, a larger radius will result in a larger circumference, which can affect the amount of friction acting on the wheel. This can also impact the net force on the wheel.