Basic ball projectile motion problem

In summary: DIn summary, two friends stand on a snow-covered roof and throw snowballs from an elevation of 15 m with the same initial speed of 13 m/s, but in different directions. One throws their snowball downward at 40° below the horizontal while the other throws theirs upward at 40° above the horizontal. The question asks for the speed of each ball when it is 5.0 m above the ground, neglecting air resistance. To solve this, the equations Vx=V0cos(theta) and Vy=V0sin(theta) are used, as well as Vf=V0+at and Xf=X0+V0(t)+1/2at^2. The first part of
miglo

Homework Statement

You and a friend stand on a snow-covered roof. You both throw snowballs from an elevation of 15 m with the same initial speed of 13 m/s, but in different directions. You through your snowball downward, at 40° below the horizontal; your friend throws her snowball upward, at 40° above the horizontal. What is the speed of each ball when it is 5.0 m above the ground? (Neglect air resistance.)

m/s(your snowball)
m/s(your friend's snowball)

Homework Equations

V_x=V_0cos(theta)
V_y=V_0sin(theta)
V_f=V_0+at
X_f=X_0+V_0(t)+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

well this is online and I am only given 5 tries to get the correct answer and unfortunately i used up my 5 tries for the first part :(
but anyways i tried finding the time the snowball is 5m from the ground and i used the y=y_0+V_0(t)-1/2gt^2 but I am not sure what i should use for the y_0 and V_0, i would say y_0 would be 15 and V_0 would be V_0sin(theta) or 13sin40, then g would be 9.8 and y=5 so then i can solve for t? then after finding t do i just use V_f=V_0+at to get the velocity of the snowball when its 5 m above the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so i checked and i only have one chance at getting part 2 of this question correct
so i tried solving for t by using 5=15+8.36t-4.9t^2 which gave me t=2.5
then plugging this value of t into V_f=V_0+at i got V_f=8.36+(-9.8)(2.5) which gave me V_f=-16.14m/s
now to me this kind of makes sense since by then the snowball would be heading downward and its velocity should be negative but I am not sure if i plugged in the correct values to the equations i used

I don't see a part 1 and part 2 in the question statement. I only see a single question: "What is the speed of each ball when it is 5.0 m above the ground?"

What comprises parts 1 and 2?

miglo said:
then after finding t do i just use V_f=V_0+at to get the velocity of the snowball when its 5 m above the ground?

Gravitational acceleration applies only to the vertical component of the velocity. So you work out the final y-velocity at 5m above the ground (at time t), then combine with the invariant x-component of the velocity to determine the speed. Be sure to watch out for the signs of things (initial velocities, gravitational acceleration).

You might want to consider using an energy conservation approach for this problem. Then you can deal directly with the speeds and changes of height.

part 1 was figuring out the speed of your snowball and part2 was figuring out the speed of your friends snowball
unfortunately i plugged in my answer before anyone could reply to my thread and i got it wrong :( so yeah got both parts wrong, but i still want to know how to solve this problem

gneill i don't understand what you mean by combining with the invariant x-component of the velocity, oh and we haven't gone over conservation of energy, we just started on forces

For a projectile near the Earth's surface (which assumes a constant acceleration due to gravity), the horizontal component of the motion is independent of the vertical component of the motion. If Vx and Vy are the components of the velocity at some instant, then the speed of the object is [itex] \sqrt{Vx^2 + Vy^2}[/itex].

ohhh i see
this whole time i thought i just had to use the y-component for velocity
well thanks a lot gneill

Related to Basic ball projectile motion problem

1. What is a basic ball projectile motion problem?

A basic ball projectile motion problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the trajectory of a ball that is launched into the air at a certain angle and velocity.

2. What are the key variables in a basic ball projectile motion problem?

The key variables in a basic ball projectile motion problem are the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is launched, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time the ball is in the air.

3. How do you calculate the distance traveled by the ball in a basic ball projectile motion problem?

The distance traveled by the ball can be calculated using the formula: d = v0 * t * cosθ, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time in the air, and θ is the launch angle.

4. What is the maximum height reached by the ball in a basic ball projectile motion problem?

The maximum height reached by the ball can be calculated using the formula: h = (v0 * sinθ)^2 / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How do you determine the velocity of the ball at any given time in a basic ball projectile motion problem?

The velocity of the ball at any given time can be calculated using the formula: v = v0 + at, where v is the velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in the air.