Solving A problem using kinematics and Energy

In summary, the problem involves a snowball being fired from a cliff at an initial velocity of 14.0 m/s at an angle of 41 degrees above the horizontal. Two methods are used to calculate the speed of the snowball when it hits the ground, one using conservation of mechanical energy and the other using kinematics. While the first method yields a correct answer of 21 m/s, the second method neglects the horizontal component of the velocity and results in an incorrect answer. Taking the horizontal component into account, the final speed of the snowball is calculated to be 20.99 m/s.
lion_

Homework Statement

A ##1.50## kg snowball is fired from a cliff ##12.5##m high with an initial velocity of ##14.0## m/s, directed ##41^{\circ}## above the horizontal. How fast does the ball travel when it hits the ground.

Homework Equations

##E=K+U##
##V^2_f=v^2_i+2a(y_f-y_i)##
##y_f=v_i \sin \theta-gt^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

First using conservation of mechanical energy,
##E=(1/2mv_f^2-1/2mv^2_i)+(0-mgh)##
##v=\sqrt{v^2_i+2mgh} \implies v=\sqrt{14^2+2((9.8)(12.5)}=21m/s##

Using kinematics to verify,
##0=v_i\sin \theta -gt##
##t=\frac{v_i\sin \theta}{g}=\frac{14\sin 41}{9.8}=0.937 s##
##y_f=14\sin 41 (.937)-.5(9.8)(.937)^2=4.3m## which gives the height traveled above the horizontal
Calculate speed ##v=\sqrt{2(9.8)(12.5+4.3)}=18.14m/s##

Which is wrong they both look correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
lion_ said:

Homework Statement

A ##1.50## kg snowball is fired from a cliff ##12.5##m high with an initial velocity of ##14.0## m/s, directed ##41^{\circ}## above the horizontal. How fast does the ball travel when it hits the ground.

Homework Equations

##E=K+U##
##V^2_f=v^2_i+2a(y_f-y_i)##
##y_f=v_i \sin \theta-gt^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

First using conservation of mechanical energy,
##E=(1/2mv_f^2-1/2mv^2_i)+(0-mgh)##
##v=\sqrt{v^2_i+2mgh} \implies v=\sqrt{14^2+2((9.8)(12.5)}=21m/s##

Using kinematics to verify,
##0=v_i\sin \theta -gt##
##t=\frac{v_i\sin \theta}{g}=\frac{14\sin 41}{9.8}=0.937 s##
##y_f=14\sin 41 (.937)-.5(9.8)(.937)^2=4.3m## which gives the height traveled above the horizontal
Calculate speed ##v=\sqrt{2(9.8)(12.5+4.3)}=18.14m/s##

Which is wrong they both look correct.
The first method looks correct.

In the second method, you completely ignored the horizontal component of the velocity.

How is the horizontal component needed? The only thing we are concerned with is the height, thus once the snowball reaches maximum height, it becomes a one dimensional problem regardless of how fast the horizontal component is traveling. It is independent of gravity.

lion_ said:
How is the horizontal component needed? The only thing we are concerned with is the height, thus once the snowball reaches maximum height, it becomes a one dimensional problem regardless of how fast the horizontal component is traveling. It is independent of gravity.
How is it not needed?

Aren't you asked:
lion_ said:
How fast does the ball travel when it hits the ground.

How is speed related to velocity?

So you need to calculate ##v_f=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}=\sqrt{14^2\cos^2 41^{\circ}+(18.14)^2}=20.99## I guess that what was missing thanks.

Related to Solving A problem using kinematics and Energy

What is kinematics and energy?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects. Energy is the ability of an object to do work or cause change.

How can kinematics and energy be used to solve a problem?

Kinematics and energy can be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects and systems. By understanding the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and energy, we can solve problems related to their motion and interactions.

What are some common examples of problems that can be solved using kinematics and energy?

Some common examples include calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the height of a projectile, and analyzing the motion of a pendulum.

What are the key equations used in solving problems with kinematics and energy?

The key equations include the kinematic equations (such as d = v0t + 1/2at2), the work-energy theorem (W = ΔK), and conservation of energy (Ei = Ef).

What are some important factors to consider when using kinematics and energy to solve a problem?

Some important factors include the initial conditions of the system, the forces acting on the object, and the conservation of energy. It is also important to ensure that the units are consistent and to check for any assumptions made in the problem.