Physics courses to supplement ME degree

In summary, the OP is a Mechanical Engineering student looking to supplement their degree with upper-division Physics courses. They have taken E&M, Newtonian Mechanics, Dynamics, Solids, Materials, and Thermodynamics, and are interested in finding Physics courses that are value-adding and have minimal overlap with the ME curriculum. They are seeking advice on which specific courses to take and have asked for suggestions from their academic advisor.
UMath1
I am a Mechanical Engineering student but I very much miss the theoretical side of education from my Physics classes in high school. I am looking to supplement my degree with electives in upper-division Physics courses. Which courses would be the most value-adding and have minimal overlap with the ME curriculum?

Physics news on Phys.org
UMath1 said:
I am a Mechanical Engineering student but I very much miss the theoretical side of education from my Physics classes in high school. I am looking to supplement my degree with electives in upper-division Physics courses. Which courses would be the most value-adding and have minimal overlap with the ME curriculum?
(a) You mention that you took high-school physics courses and that you are interested in upper-division college physics courses. But did you take any college level physics courses at all? If so, what? You can't jump into upper-division (I assume junior/senior) without adequate foundation (freshman/sophomore).

(b) You need to specify what "value-adding" means to you.

Likes berkeman
CrysPhys said:
(a) You mention that you took high-school physics courses and that you are interested in upper-division college physics courses. But did you take any college level physics courses at all? If so, what? You can't jump into upper-division (I assume junior/senior) without adequate foundation (freshman/sophomore).

Since the OP is a mechanical engineering major, I would presume that he would have taken at least some college level physics courses at this stage (certainly Newtonian mechanics, E&M, dynamics, etc.), depending on how far he is into his major (as an aside,please note that I checked the OP's profile and it states very clearly that the OP is male).

Whether or not those physics courses provide adequate foundation for more senior physics courses is another question.

CrysPhys said:
You can't jump into upper-division
I agree.

@UMath1 -- can you list which lower-division Physics classes you have taken so far (and maybe say which ones you enjoyed the most)? And can you list the upper-division undergraduate Physics classes that are offered at your university? That will make it easier for us to make some suggestions. Also, have you talked this over with your academic advisor at all?

UMath1 said:
Which courses would be the most value-adding and have minimal overlap with the ME curriculum?

I think that you will find very few that actually overlap. For example, I took advanced dynamics in the physics department and a course with the same title in the ME department. They were quite different courses because the outlook and perspective were so very different.

I have taken E&M, Newtonian Mechanics and Dynamics, and among the ME courses, I have taken Solids, Materials, and Thermodynamics.

Can you post the candidate classes that you are considering taking from the ME curriculum?

Related to Physics courses to supplement ME degree

1. What is the benefit of taking physics courses as a supplement to a mechanical engineering degree?

Taking physics courses as a supplement to a mechanical engineering degree can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts that are used in mechanical engineering. It can also help in developing problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, which are essential for success in the field of engineering.

2. Are physics courses necessary for a successful career in mechanical engineering?

While physics courses are not required for a career in mechanical engineering, they can greatly enhance your knowledge and skills in the field. Many employers also value candidates who have a strong background in physics, as it demonstrates a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of engineering.

3. Which specific physics courses should I take to supplement my mechanical engineering degree?

The specific physics courses you should take will depend on your personal interests and career goals. However, some recommended courses include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is also beneficial to take courses that cover topics such as vibrations, control systems, and solid mechanics.

4. Can taking physics courses help me specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering?

Yes, taking physics courses can help you specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering. For example, if you are interested in robotics, taking courses in electromechanics and control systems can provide a strong foundation for this specialization. Similarly, if you are interested in automotive engineering, courses in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics can be helpful.

5. Are there any online options for taking physics courses to supplement my mechanical engineering degree?

Yes, there are many online options for taking physics courses to supplement your mechanical engineering degree. Many universities offer online courses in physics, and there are also several online learning platforms that offer courses in various physics topics. However, it is important to ensure that the online courses you choose are accredited and of high quality.