Partial Fractions: Integrate (4x+10)/(9x^2+24x+16)

In summary, the problem involves finding the indefinite integral of (4x+10)/(9x^2+24x+16) using the partial fractions technique. The first step is to rewrite the expression as (4x+10)/(3x+4)^2 and then solve for A and B using two different values for x. The solution can be found by multiplying both sides by (3x+4)^2 and substituting x= -4/3 to solve for B and another value of x to solve for A.
arl146

Homework Statement

determine the indefinite integral: ∫ (4x+10)/(9x^2+24x+16) dx

Homework Equations

partial fractions technique

The Attempt at a Solution

i know it's partial fractions and i thought i did it right but i got the wrong answer.

(4x+10)/(9x^2+24x+16) = (4x+10)/(3x+4)^2 = A/(3x+4) + B/(3x+4)^2
is that part right before I continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
arl146 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

i know it's partial fractions and i thought i did it right but i got the wrong answer.

Yes, that is the right idea.

RGV

Yes, that's right.

arl146 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

As others have told you that is correct. Now multiply both sides by (3x+4)^2 to get (4x+10)(3x+ 4)^2= A(3x+ 4)+ B. Taking x= -4/3 gives an easy solution for B. Take x to be any other number, say, x= 0, to get an equation for A.

ohhhh .. i see what i did. ok .. so i was doing A(3x+ 4)^2 + B(3x+4) not realizing the denominator difference. stupid mistake. thanks!

Related to Partial Fractions: Integrate (4x+10)/(9x^2+24x+16)

1. What is the process for integrating a fraction with a quadratic denominator?

The process for integrating a fraction with a quadratic denominator, such as (4x+10)/(9x^2+24x+16), involves breaking it down into partial fractions. This means expressing the fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with linear denominators.

2. How do you determine the constants in the partial fractions?

The constants in the partial fractions are determined by equating the coefficients of like terms on both sides of the equation. This involves solving a system of linear equations to find the values of the constants.

3. Can any fraction be expressed as partial fractions?

Yes, any rational function (a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator) can be expressed as partial fractions. However, it may not always be necessary or beneficial to do so.

4. What is the purpose of using partial fractions?

The purpose of using partial fractions is to simplify the integration process. It allows us to break down a complex fraction into simpler ones that can be integrated more easily. It is also helpful in solving differential equations and evaluating indefinite integrals.

5. Are there any cases where partial fractions cannot be used for integration?

Partial fractions cannot be used for integration if the denominator of the fraction cannot be factored into linear terms. In such cases, other integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, may be necessary.