Integration by Partial Fractions

In summary: I got the right answer now!In summary, the conversation involves finding the integral of the function (2x^3 - 2x + 1)/(x^2 - 3x) and the attempt at solving it using long division and partial fractions. However, the mistake in the long division caused confusion and led to an incorrect answer. After correcting the mistake, the correct answer was obtained.
cathy

Homework Statement

(2x^3-2x+1)/(x^2/3x)
Find the integral.

2. The attempt at a solution

So I've been on this problem for like an hour now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So I used long division and got
2x+ (4x+1)/(x^2-3x)

∫2x + ∫(4x+1)/(x^2-3x)
= x^2 + ∫(4x+1)/(x^2-3x).
For that next part, I used partial fractions.
A/x + B/(x-3) = 4x+1
Solved for a= -1/3
Solved for b= 13/3

Put everything together and solving for that integral, I got

x^2- 1/3ln(x) + 13/3ln(x-3)

and it's wrong.
Where am I going wrong? I'm so confused.
Thank for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously there went something wrong with your partial-fraction calculation. I'd just do the following
[tex]\frac{2x^3-2x+1}{x^2-3x}=\frac{2x(x^2-3x)+6(x^2-3x)+16x+1}{x^2-3x}=2x+6 + \frac{16x+1}{x^2-3x}.[/tex]
The first two terms are easily integrated. For the 2nd one you can find the partial fractions with the usual ansatz easily.

But i was told to use long division first, which was why I started with 2x+ (4x+1)/(x^2-3x).
And from there, I am confused, as to how I got the answer part wrong.

What I did is nothing else then long division (written in a way I can achieve with LaTeX).

Likes 1 person
What vanhees71 is trying to tell you is that your long division is wrong. You should have "2x+ 6" as the quotient, not just "2x". And the remainder is "16x+ 1", not "4x+ 1".

I suspect you did not write the "[itex]0x^2[/itex]" in the dividend and then mistook the "[itex]-6x^2[/itex]" in the division for "[itex]-6x[/itex]".

Likes 1 person
cathy said:

Homework Statement

(2x^3-2x+1)/(x^2/3x)
Find the integral.
The above has a typo. I'm pretty sure you meant the integrand to be (2x3 - 2x + 1)/(x2 - 3x)
cathy said:
2. The attempt at a solution

So I've been on this problem for like an hour now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So I used long division and got
2x+ (4x+1)/(x^2-3x)

∫2x + ∫(4x+1)/(x^2-3x)
= x^2 + ∫(4x+1)/(x^2-3x).
For that next part, I used partial fractions.
A/x + B/(x-3) = 4x+1
Solved for a= -1/3
Solved for b= 13/3

Put everything together and solving for that integral, I got

x^2- 1/3ln(x) + 13/3ln(x-3)

and it's wrong.
Where am I going wrong? I'm so confused.
Thank for any help in advance.

Likes 1 person
Ohh, such a simple mistake with the long division. I was forgetting to write the variables I didn't use with 0. Thank you so much everyone.

Related to Integration by Partial Fractions

1. What is integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals of rational functions. It involves breaking down a complex rational function into simpler fractions and then integrating each fraction separately.

2. Why is integration by partial fractions useful?

This method is useful because it allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional integration techniques. It also helps us to understand the behavior of rational functions and their relationship to other mathematical concepts.

3. When should I use integration by partial fractions?

You should use integration by partial fractions when you have a rational function in the integrand (the expression being integrated) and you are unable to solve the integral using other methods like substitution or integration by parts.

4. How do I perform integration by partial fractions?

To perform integration by partial fractions, you must first decompose the rational function into simpler fractions, using algebraic techniques. Then, you integrate each fraction separately, using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. Finally, you add the resulting integrals together to get the final answer.

5. What are some tips for solving integration by partial fractions?

Some tips for solving integration by partial fractions include:

• Make sure the numerator of the rational function is of a lower degree than the denominator.
  • Factor the denominator and group together like terms.
  • Use the method of undetermined coefficients to determine the constants in the decomposed fractions.
  • Check your answer by differentiating it to see if it simplifies back to the original integrand.