Math problem integration by partial fractions

In summary, the problem of integrating (4x+3)/(x^2+4x+5)^2 can be solved by using partial fractions, but it may be messy. It is better to use substitution, where u = x^2+4x+5, in order to get the integral in the form of Q'/Q^2. The resulting integral -(1/Q)' can then be solved with a constant factor remaining.
tessa127

Homework Statement

integrate (4x+3)/(x^2+4x+5)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to solve this problem you have to work with partial fractions, in the solution we were given they solve as followed

4x+3=A(x^2+4x+5)'+B

I don't know why they take the derivative of x^2+4x+5

thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
tessa127 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I know to solve this problem you have to work with partial fractions, in the solution we were given they solve as followed

4x+3=A(x^2+4x+5)'+B

thank you in advance!
From what you show here they are not using partial fractions. What they're doing is an ordinary substitution, with ##u = x^2 + 4x + 5##. In this substitution, what is du? That's where the derivative you're asking about comes in.

Likes tessa127
tessa127 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

4x+3=A(x^2+4x+5)'+B

thank you in advance!

In order to solve the problem! I think I remember doing this myself for some recent problem on here.

You have a linear divided by a quadratic. The derivative of a quadratic is a linear. If you are lucky, i.e. in the simplest case the numerator will be the derivative of the denominator (multiplied by a number). In general however the derivative of the quadratic will be the numerator (multiplied by a number) plus a constant. So you will get to integrate something of form

C1Q'/ Q + C2/Q, where the C's are known constants.

The integral of the first fraction is C1 ln Q , and the second fraction you expresse as partial fractions, and will get further ln 's .

Likes tessa127
epenguin said:
In order to solve the problem! I think I remember doing this myself for some recent problem on here.

You have a linear divided by a quadratic. The derivative of a quadratic is a linear. If you are lucky, i.e. in the simplest case the numerator will be the derivative of the denominator (multiplied by a number). In general however the derivative of the quadratic will be the numerator (multiplied by a number) plus a constant. So you will get to integrate something of form

C1Q'/ Q + C2/Q, where the C's are known constants.

The integral of the first fraction is C1 ln Q , and the second fraction you expresse as partial fractions, and will get further ln 's .

thank you very much for the explanation, I will try the exercise with your method

tessa127 said:
I will try the exercise with your method

I expect someone else discovered it first. :oldsmile:

To be sure, you have a linear polynomial divided by a quadratic polynomial squared. There might be a partial fraction expansion, but it will probably be messy.

When the denominator is raised to a power, it's better to see if substitution can be used.

SteamKing said:
To be sure, you have a linear polynomial divided by a quadratic polynomial squared. There might be a partial fraction expansion, but it will probably be messy.

When the denominator is raised to a power, it's better to see if substitution can be used.

Oops yes :redface: I had missed that the denominator was squared. So it seems they want to get it in the form Q'/Q2 (multiplied by a number) which is -(1/Q)' .
So that bit can be integrated to -1/Q and you are left with some number multiplying 1/Q2 which is a standard form to integrate.

Related to Math problem integration by partial fractions

What is integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used in calculus to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate.

When is integration by partial fractions used?

Integration by partial fractions is typically used when the integral involves a rational function with a denominator that cannot be factored easily, or when the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator.

What is the process for integrating by partial fractions?

The process for integrating by partial fractions involves the following steps:

• 1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into irreducible factors.
  • 2. Express the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions, with each fraction having a single irreducible factor in the denominator.
  • 3. Determine the unknown coefficients in the fractions by equating the numerator of the original rational function to the sum of the numerators of the simpler fractions.
  • 4. Integrate each fraction separately.
  • 5. Combine the results to get the final integral.

What are the different cases for partial fractions?

There are three different cases for partial fractions:

• 1. Distinct linear factors: when the denominator of the rational function can be factored into distinct linear factors.
  • 2. Repeated linear factors: when the denominator of the rational function has repeated linear factors.
  • 3. Irreducible quadratic factors: when the denominator of the rational function has irreducible quadratic factors.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by partial fractions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by partial fractions include:

• Forgetting to factor the denominator into irreducible factors.
  • Incorrectly equating the coefficients of the numerators in the original rational function to the coefficients in the simpler fractions.
  • Forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating each fraction separately.