Paper Submission Rejection: A Silver Lining for My Complex Writing Style

• Thread starter elfboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, my paper was rejected by the journal because it was too complex for its audience, but I got a second opinion and am still confident in the quality of my work.
elfboy
I got good news..sorta...

My paper got rejected by the editors from a journal because it was 'too complex' 'too forbidding' for its audience.

That's good news because at least I know the caliber of my work isn't 'basic'. I was concerned that my works was based too much off calculus concepts wanst advanced enough. At least now I have a better perspective.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well can't say much because I don't know what journal it is and I haven't read your preprint.

cool

Are you sure it is not the writing style? How are you going to solve this problem?

Getting a paper rejected by the editor, before it even made its way to the reviewers, is rarely a good thing

tmc said:
Getting a paper rejected by the editor, before it even made its way to the reviewers, is rarely a good thing

This is true. It either means that the journal you selected was not the right kind of journal or that there is something seriously and fundamentally wrong with your paper.

tmc said:

it made it to the referee process, which I presume follows an initial review

I emailed it to another mathematician who has strong experience in the same topic as my paper who is going to review it. I'm still confident the work is of decent quality, but acknowledge the topic matter is arcane and isn't readily accessible.

Papers make it to review as long as they aren't formatted horribly, blatantly stupid, or obviously fake.

The fact that it is an arcane subject means that it was probably more likely to make it through to review, even though it may have been crap, because the nobodies who do the initial read probably had no interest/idea what you were writing about.

Related to Paper Submission Rejection: A Silver Lining for My Complex Writing Style

1. Why would my paper be rejected?

There could be several reasons why your paper was rejected. It could be due to insufficient or inaccurate research, poor writing style, lack of originality, or not meeting the journal's specific guidelines and requirements.

2. Is rejection always a bad thing?

No, rejection can actually be a positive thing. It allows you to improve your paper and make it stronger before submitting it to another journal. It can also help you identify areas for improvement in your writing style.

3. How can I improve my writing style to avoid rejection?

You can improve your writing style by continuously practicing and seeking feedback from your peers or mentors. It is important to also familiarize yourself with the journal's guidelines and target audience to ensure your writing is appropriate and effective.

4. Can I appeal a rejection decision?

Yes, most journals allow authors to appeal a rejection decision. However, before appealing, it is important to carefully review the reasons for rejection and make necessary revisions to address any issues raised by the reviewers.

5. Should I resubmit my rejected paper to the same journal?

It is not recommended to resubmit a rejected paper to the same journal unless you have made significant revisions and improvements. It is better to submit to a different journal that may be a better fit for your paper. However, it is always a good idea to seek feedback from the previous journal's reviewers to improve your paper before submitting elsewhere.