Drag Coefficient of a 'flexible' object (e.g. a piece of paper)

eddiezhang
TL;DR Summary
Are there any analytical / mathematical methods to find the drag coefficient of an object that deforms during motion (e.g. a piece of paper travelling through air).
If not (as I suspect), how easy would it be to determine / approximate it experimentally?
Hi all and thanks for your time. I'm a little new to this site and was unsure what the prefix to this post should be, so I put it under 'intermediate'.

Imagine having a piece of paper glued to the palm of your hand. You swing your hand down and the edges of the paper bend backwards because of drag. Is it theoretically possible to determine the magnitude of this drag force, considering that parts of the paper are 'pushed' backwards, and what might be some relevant papers / physics and maths concepts to help me out here? This would be quite useful for a bit of a passion project I've got going on, so I've scoured google to some... poor results.

I guess this question could be more usefully phrased as if you can mathematically / analytically find the drag coefficient of an object that deforms during motion (in an ideal physics world of course) - let's say that a force acts on the centre of mass of a normal piece of paper, with the only other force present being drag. The answer feels like a hard 'no', or at least a 'not unless you sit through a year or two of engineering school' :oldcry:.

If the answer is no (as I suspect), trying to estimate the magnitude of the drag force on a piece of paper is just annoying to do experimentally, as the paper just flops around from side to side once you let go of it- unless there is some kind of obvious setup which would let me do that which I've missed. On that point, do you guys have any suggestions on how I could do that? The velocities the paper ends up going at in my particular situation are not that high - between 1 and 3 m/s.

Any answer would be really appreciated, especially if it's to do with the maths of it all. My current understanding of drag is restricted to Rayleigh's drag equation F = .5ρv^2AC_d (apologies for butchering the formatting lol), and I guess it's just the 'reference area' and 'coefficient of drag' terms that are giving me a bit of grief in terms of understanding. I've only done (finished) A-level physics, so the big guns of 'shear stress' or multivariable calculus or God forbid the Navier-Stokes equations will likely go straight over my head (I'm very willing to try understand though).

This post is long enough. I'd really appreciate some help as to the theory / potential experimental setup. Papers would be lovely, though I've found few. Go raibh maith agat!!!

Physics news on Phys.org
To come up with a fully analytical solution to a fluid structure interaction (FSI) problem like this would win you a guaranteed Nobel price, so I'm not going to attempt that :). To compute the drag of any object fully analytically already is a momentous task for anything more complex than a flat plate in laminar flow, let alone if the object moves...

Note that the Rayleigh's drag equation is actually a semi-empirical equation where the Cd is determined experimentally. But we can get some notion of this value if you compare it to a flag on a flag pole. This does mean that instead of fixing the paper to your hand you need some kind of pole to make the comparison work. However, the famous work by Hoerner 'Fluid-Dynamic Drag' already provides a figure for the Cd value (I got this from an otherwise irrelevant paper, not from the book):

1706281963217.png

I suppose (hope...) that the A used in the drag equation is b*c, but I didn't check.

If you want to do the measurements yourself I would suggest attaching the paper to some kind of pole and put it into some kind of home-made wind-tunnel. Which is actually very hard to get right, but that also depends on the accuracy you're after :).

Good luck!

Likes erobz
Arjan82 said:
If you want to do the measurements yourself I would suggest attaching the paper to some kind of pole and put it into some kind of home-made wind-tunnel.
As an alternative, one could try it on some vehicle, ideally in a large enclosed room.

Likes Arjan82
Arjan82 said:
To come up with a fully analytical solution to a fluid structure interaction (FSI) problem like this would win you a guaranteed Nobel price, so I'm not going to attempt that :). To compute the drag of any object fully analytically already is a momentous task for anything more complex than a flat plate in laminar flow, let alone if the object moves...

Note that the Rayleigh's drag equation is actually a semi-empirical equation where the Cd is determined experimentally. But we can get some notion of this value if you compare it to a flag on a flag pole. This does mean that instead of fixing the paper to your hand you need some kind of pole to make the comparison work. However, the famous work by Hoerner 'Fluid-Dynamic Drag' already provides a figure for the Cd value (I got this from an otherwise irrelevant paper, not from the book):

View attachment 339217

I suppose (hope...) that the A used in the drag equation is b*c, but I didn't check.

If you want to do the measurements yourself I would suggest attaching the paper to some kind of pole and put it into some kind of home-made wind-tunnel. Which is actually very hard to get right, but that also depends on the accuracy you're after :).

Good luck!
Thanks! I suspected as much... approximations here I come!

I'd call it a hard no even if you attends a few years of school for engineering.

Whether measuring it is "easy" depends on the fidelity you need. You could just drop it and measure it's terminal speed, but the error bars will be huge as it moves in all directions in the complex flow field. It likely will change speeds a lot as it's orientation changes. You could get a sort of average drag coefficient, I suppose.

Anything more accurate would need a more careful definition of the problem.

1. What is the drag coefficient of a flexible object like a piece of paper?

The drag coefficient of a flexible object, such as a piece of paper, can vary depending on several factors including the shape, size, and material of the object. In general, a piece of paper has a drag coefficient ranging from 0.5 to 1.2.

2. How does the flexibility of an object affect its drag coefficient?

The flexibility of an object can impact its drag coefficient by changing its shape and surface area when exposed to airflow. A more flexible object, like a piece of paper, may deform and create turbulent flow patterns, leading to a higher drag coefficient compared to a rigid object.

3. Can the drag coefficient of a flexible object be calculated accurately?

Calculating the drag coefficient of a flexible object like a piece of paper can be challenging due to its changing shape and behavior in airflow. Experimental testing and computational simulations are often used to estimate the drag coefficient of such objects with reasonable accuracy.

4. How does the drag coefficient of a flexible object impact its aerodynamic performance?

The drag coefficient of a flexible object directly influences its aerodynamic performance by determining the amount of drag force experienced during motion. A higher drag coefficient can result in increased air resistance, leading to reduced speed and efficiency for the object.

5. Are there ways to reduce the drag coefficient of a flexible object like a piece of paper?

There are several techniques to reduce the drag coefficient of a flexible object, such as optimizing its shape, surface texture, and orientation in airflow. By minimizing drag, the object can move more efficiently and effectively through the air.