Other useful computational tools for physics and math?

In summary, Java is extensively used in various projects in research, while C++ might be useful. Python is a scripting language.
oddball_matt
Hi. I am aware that Fortran, Mathlab and Mathematica are used somewhat extensively in physics. Due to some technical and administrative problems I was unable to return to the labs to learn any of the three stated above during the long break. I only have limited access and would have to use the labs of other faculties. Are there any other programs or physics/math softwares that are worth learning and mastering?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Java is extensively used in various projects in research, especially in Physics and engineering. Other than that i think C++ might be useful. In my opinion, you should concetrate on Fortran, Mathematica and Java.

Good luck,

My suggestion would be Python, since its a scripting language (simple syntax). Python is however not intended for large scale codes especially if speed/performance is a critical issue (C++ & FORTRAN would be much faster then).

If you want to have an idea of the speed differences between the different languages:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ You can try Python's SciPy/NumPy, since the software is essentially free, and it has some close resemblance to MATLAB syntax.

If you're running Windows, then you can get Python and all the relevant packages in a single installation: http://www.pythonxy.com

or if you're running Linux, then you need the following packages:
ipython #an improved python interpreter
python-numpy
python-scientific
python-matplotlib #provides visualization capability

Basic Python tutorial: http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python (stick with python 2.x for the beginning)
SciPy: http://www.scipy.org/Getting_Started

A good & simple IDE (integrated development environment) for both Linux & Windows
is IEP: http://code.google.com/p/iep/

Python XY already has an IDE (Spyder)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks KonstantinosS and physiker_192. I am familiar with C++ since I took the course recently and am planning to improve my skills. I'll look into both options. Thanks a lot!

Hello, thank you for your question. I can suggest a few other useful computational tools for physics and math that you may want to consider learning and mastering. One option is Python, which is a popular programming language used in many scientific fields, including physics and math. It has a wide range of libraries and packages specifically designed for scientific computations, making it a versatile tool for data analysis, simulations, and modeling.

Another option is R, which is a statistical programming language commonly used in physics and math research. It has a user-friendly interface and a wide range of statistical and data analysis packages, making it a powerful tool for analyzing and visualizing data.

Additionally, there are also specialized software programs such as COMSOL Multiphysics, which is a popular tool for simulating and analyzing physical systems and phenomena. It has a user-friendly interface and a wide range of modules for different areas of physics, making it a valuable tool for research and education.

I would also recommend checking with your institution or colleagues to see if they have any recommendations or resources for other useful computational tools. It is always beneficial to have a diverse set of skills and knowledge in various software programs in the field of physics and math. I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

Related to Other useful computational tools for physics and math?

1. What are some examples of other computational tools?

Other computational tools include programming languages such as Python and Java, statistical software like R and SPSS, data visualization tools like Tableau, and simulation software like MATLAB.

2. How do these tools differ from traditional scientific methods?

Other computational tools allow scientists to analyze and interpret data more efficiently and accurately, compared to traditional scientific methods which may be more time consuming and prone to human error.

3. Can these tools be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, other computational tools can be used in many different scientific fields, including biology, chemistry, physics, neuroscience, and more. These tools can be adapted and customized to fit the specific needs of each field.

4. Are there any limitations to using other computational tools?

Like any tool, other computational tools have their limitations. These may include the need for specific hardware or software, the potential for biased results, and the need for proper training and understanding of the tool's capabilities.

5. How can I learn how to use these tools?

There are many resources available for learning how to use other computational tools, including online tutorials, workshops, and courses. It is also helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for guidance and advice.