Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers .... Sohrab, Exercise 2.1.12 ....

In summary: Yes, I can.In summary, Peter has provided a summary of the content of the book, including a definition of the field of real numbers, and the properties that follow from it. He has also shown that 2>0 and a/2<a using the definitions and axioms of real analysis.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with Exercise 2.1.12 Part (1) ... ...

Exercise 2.1.12 Part (1) reads as follows:

View attachment 7195

I am unable to make a meaningful start on Exercise 2.1.12 (1) ... can someone please help ...

PeterNOTE: Sohrab defines \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) as a field with binary operations of addition and multiplication ... he then goes on to define subtraction, division and exponentiation as follows:View attachment 7196Sohrab's definition of the usual ordering on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) plus some of the properties following are as follows ... (but note that Exercises 2.1.10 and 2.1.11 precede Exercise 2.1.12 and so, I think, must be taken as given properties for the purposes of Exercise 2.1.12 ... ) ...View attachment 7197
View attachment 7198

Hope someone can help ...

Peter
*** EDIT *** I am concerned that Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 contain properties of addition, multiplication and inverses that flow directly form the properties of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) as a field, ... ... and these properties could possibly be useful in the exercise ... so I am providing Sohrab's description of the field of real numbers and the exercises that follow it, namely Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 ... https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7209
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7210

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have made some progress with showing that \(\displaystyle \frac{a}{2} \gt 0\) ...We have \(\displaystyle 2 \gt 0\) (can we say this? How is this justified?)

and so \(\displaystyle 2^{-1} \gt 0\) by Exercise 2.1.11 (5) (see scanned text in above post)

So we now have

\(\displaystyle a, 2^{-1} \in P\) ... (by definition of a as greater than zero)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a \cdot 2^{-1} \in P \) (Order axiom \(\displaystyle O_2\) ... see scanned text in above post)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \frac{a}{2} \gt 0\) (by definition of division ... see scanned text in above post )Is that correct?

If it is a valid and good proof ... then we still need to show \(\displaystyle \frac{a}{2} \lt a\) ... but how ...?Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
I think I have made some progress with showing that \(\displaystyle \frac{a}{2} \gt 0\) ...We have \(\displaystyle 2 \gt 0\) (can we say this? How is this justified?)

and so \(\displaystyle 2^{-1} \gt 0\) by Exercise 2.1.11 (5) (see scanned text in above post)

So we now have

\(\displaystyle a, 2^{-1} \in P\) ... (by definition of a as greater than zero)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a \cdot 2^{-1} \in P \) (Order axiom \(\displaystyle O_2\) ... see scanned text in above post)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \frac{a}{2} \gt 0\) (by definition of division ... see scanned text in above post )Is that correct?

If it is a valid and good proof ... then we still need to show \(\displaystyle \frac{a}{2} \lt a\) ... but how ...?Peter

To prove 2>0 ,you need the definition : 1+1=2

Then having the above definition and that 1>0 we have:

0<1 and 0<1 => 0+0<1+1.........by exercise 2.1.11 (2)

0<2........... by the above definition and axiom (A3)

The rest of your proof is correct

Now to prove a/2<a

proof:

1) 0<a...............assumption

2) 0<a => 0+a<a+a...........by exercise 2.1.11(1)

3) a<a.1+a.1.............axioms (A3) and (M3)

4) a<a(1+1)..............by axiom (D)

5) a<a.2 ..............by above definition

Can you prove the rest of the exercise ??

Related to Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers .... Sohrab, Exercise 2.1.12 ....

1. What is the set of real numbers?

The set of real numbers is a collection of all the numbers that can be represented on a number line, including both positive and negative numbers, fractions, decimals, and irrational numbers such as pi and square root of 2.

2. How do you order real numbers?

To order real numbers, you arrange them in ascending or descending order from left to right on a number line. This means that the smallest number will be on the far left, and the largest number will be on the far right.

3. What is the purpose of Exercise 2.1.12 in Sohrab's book?

The purpose of Exercise 2.1.12 is to practice ordering real numbers and to understand the concept of the number line. It also helps to strengthen problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

4. What are some examples of real numbers?

Examples of real numbers include 2, -5, 0.5, 3.14, and square root of 9.

5. Why is it important to understand ordering on the set of real numbers?

Understanding how to order real numbers is important in many areas of math and science. It allows us to compare and rank numbers, which is essential for solving equations, graphing functions, and analyzing data. It also helps in everyday life, such as budgeting, measuring, and making financial decisions.