Closed Sets - Sohrab Exercise 2.2.4 - Part 2

In summary: If $0<x<1$, then consider $n\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $n>\max\left(\frac{1}{x},\frac{1}{1-x}\right)$. Then $n>1/x$ and $n>1/(1-x)$, so $x>1/n$ and $1-x>1/n$, which means that $x\in[1/n,1-1/n]=I_n$. Thus $x\in\bigcup I_n$, and obviously $x\in (0,1)$. So in all three cases $x$ belongs or does not belong to the left
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with a part of Exercise 2.2.4 Part (2) ... ...

Exercise 2.2.4 Part (2) reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7183In the above text from Sohrab we read the following:

" ... ...Using the infinite collection \(\displaystyle [ \frac{1}{n}, 1 - \frac{1}{n} ], \ n \in \mathbb{N}\), show the latter statement is false if \(\displaystyle \Lambda\) is infinite ... ... "
I am unable to make a meaningful start on this problem ... can someone help me with the exercise ...

Peter
Note: For \(\displaystyle n = 1\), the interval is [1,0] which does make much sense ... I guess we take that case as equal to \(\displaystyle \emptyset\) ...

*** EDIT ***

After some reflection I am beginning to believe that \(\displaystyle \bigcup_{ n = 1}^{ \infty } I_n = (0,1)\) where \(\displaystyle I_n = [ \frac{1}{n}, 1 - \frac{1}{n} ]\) ... but ... sadly ... I cannot prove this intuition is correct ...

Note that Sohrab doesn't define limits or convergence until after setting this exercise ...=========================================================================================

The above exercise relies on the definition of open sets and related concepts and so to provide readers with a knowledge of Sohrab's definitions and notation I am provided the following text ...https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7184

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
For \(\displaystyle n = 1\), the interval is [1,0] which does make much sense ... I guess we take that case as equal to \(\displaystyle \emptyset\)
I think this is reasonable.

Peter said:
After some reflection I am beginning to believe that \(\displaystyle \bigcup_{ n = 1}^{ \infty } I_n = (0,1)\) where \(\displaystyle I_n = [ \frac{1}{n}, 1 - \frac{1}{n} ]\) ... but ... sadly ... I cannot prove this intuition is correct
This is correct and is proved by definition of union. Consider the cases $x\le 0$, $0<x<1$ and $x\ge 1$.

Note that the claims about the infinite intersection and finite union of closed sets, as well as the counterexample about the infinite union of closed sets, can be obtained from the corresponding claims about open sets by taking the complement.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I think this is reasonable.

This is correct and is proved by definition of union. Consider the cases $x\le 0$, $0<x<1$ and $x\ge 1$.

Note that the claims about the infinite intersection and finite union of closed sets, as well as the counterexample about the infinite union of closed sets, can be obtained from the corresponding claims about open sets by taking the complement.
Thanks Evgeny ... but I am still perplexed as to how to proceed ...

Can you help further ...

Peter

We want to show that
\[
\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty I_n=(0,1)\qquad(*)
\]
where $I_n=\left[\frac{1}{n},1-\frac{1}{n}\right]$. If $x\le0$, then $x\notin I_n$ for all $n$, so $x\notin\bigcup I_n$. Also, $x\notin(0,1)$. Similar for $x\ge1$. If $0<x<1$, then consider $n\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $n>\max\left(\frac{1}{x},\frac{1}{1-x}\right)$. Then $n>1/x$ and $n>1/(1-x)$, so $x>1/n$ and $1-x>1/n$, which means that $x\in[1/n,1-1/n]=I_n$. Thus $x\in\bigcup I_n$, and obviously $x\in (0,1)$. So in all three cases $x$ belongs or does not belong to the left- and right-hand sides of (*) simultaneously.

Related to Closed Sets - Sohrab Exercise 2.2.4 - Part 2

1. What is a closed set?

A closed set is a set that contains all of its limit points. This means that if you were to draw a circle around any point in the set, the entire circle would be contained within the set.

2. How do you determine if a set is closed?

A set can be determined to be closed by checking if all of its limit points are contained within the set. This can be done by taking the complement of the set and checking if it is an open set.

3. What is the difference between a closed set and an open set?

The main difference between a closed set and an open set is that a closed set contains all of its limit points, while an open set does not. This means that a closed set is more "complete" or "closed off" compared to an open set.

4. Can a set be both open and closed?

No, a set cannot be both open and closed. A set can either be open or closed, but not both. However, a set can be neither open nor closed, in which case it is considered a "boundary set".

5. What are some real-world examples of closed sets?

Some real-world examples of closed sets include a completely enclosed room, a sealed jar, and the set of all real numbers between 1 and 10 (including the endpoints). Essentially, any set that is "closed off" and contains all of its limit points can be considered a closed set.