Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers .... Sohrab, Ex. 2.1(1)

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with Exercise 2.1.12 Part (1) in Chapter 2 of Houshang H. Sohrab's book "Basic Real Analysis." They discuss Sohrab's definitions of real numbers and properties of addition, multiplication, and inverses. The individual makes progress in their attempt at the solution but still needs help showing that ##\frac{a}{2} \lt a##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with Exercise 2.1.12 Part (1) ... ...

Exercise 2.1.12 Part (1) reads as follows:

sohrab-exercse-2-1-12-png.png

I am unable to make a meaningful start on Exercise 2.1.12 (1) ... can someone please help ...Relevant equations

Sohrab defines ##\mathbb{R}## as a field with binary operations of addition and multiplication ... he then goes on to define subtraction, division and exponentiation as follows:

sohrab-definition-2-1-4-subtraction-division-and-exponentiation-of-real-numbers-png.png

Sohrab's definition of the usual ordering on ##\mathbb{R}## plus some of the properties following are as follows ... (but note that Exercises 2.1.10 and 2.1.11 precede Exercise 2.1.12 and so, I think, must be taken as given properties for the purposes of Exercise 2.1.12 ... ) ...

sohrab-1-ordering-of-the-real-numbers-png.png

sohrab-2-ordering-of-the-real-numbers-part-2-png-png.png

*** EDIT ***

I am concerned that Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 contain properties of addition, multiplication and inverses that flow directly form the properties of \mathbb{R} as a field, ... ... and these properties could possibly be useful in the exercise ... so I am providing Sohrab's description of the field of real numbers and the exercises that follow it, namely Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 ...

?temp_hash=e79a9f9b500d20b39337ce75755efe40.png

?temp_hash=e79a9f9b500d20b39337ce75755efe40.png

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I am unable to make a meaningful start on this problem ... can someone help me to get started ...

Peter

Attachments

• Sohrab - Exercse 2.1.12 ....png
    Sohrab - Exercse 2.1.12 ....png
    11.8 KB · Views: 498
  • Sohrab - Definition 2.1.4 - Subtraction, Division and Exponentiation of Real Numbers.png
    Sohrab - Definition 2.1.4 - Subtraction, Division and Exponentiation of Real Numbers.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 555
  • Sohrab - 1 - Ordering of the Real Numbers .. ....png
    Sohrab - 1 - Ordering of the Real Numbers .. ....png
    14.9 KB · Views: 594
  • Sohrab - 2 - Ordering of the Real Numbers .. .... PART 2 ... ... png.png
    Sohrab - 2 - Ordering of the Real Numbers .. .... PART 2 ... ... png.png
    38 KB · Views: 508
  • Sohrab - 1 - Real Numbers as an Ordered Field ... PART 1 ... ....png
    Sohrab - 1 - Real Numbers as an Ordered Field ... PART 1 ... ....png
    18.4 KB · Views: 442
  • Sohrab - 2 - Real Numbers as an Ordered Field ... PART 2 ... ....png
    Sohrab - 2 - Real Numbers as an Ordered Field ... PART 2 ... ....png
    35.7 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have made some progress with showing that ##\frac{a}{2} \gt 0## ...We have ##2 \gt 0## (can we say this? why is it valid?)

and so ##2^{-1} \gt 0## by Exercise 2.1.11 (5) (see scanned text in above post)

So we now have

##a, 2^{-1} \in P## (definition of a as greater than 0 )

##\Longrightarrow a \cdot 2^{-1} \in P## (Order Axiom ##O_2## ... see scanned text in above post)

##\Longrightarrow \frac{a}{2} \gt 0## (by definition of division ...see scanned text in above post)Is that correct?

If it is a valid and good proof ... then we still need to show ##\frac{a}{2} \lt a## ... but how ...?Peter

Math Amateur said:
I think I have made some progress with showing that ##\frac{a}{2} \gt 0## ...
We have ##2 \gt 0## (can we say this? why is it valid?)
This is exercise 2.1.10 (c).
and so ##2^{-1} \gt 0## by Exercise 2.1.11 (5) (see scanned text in above post)
You can also use exercise 2.1.10 (c) again and show, that ##\frac{1}{2}<0## is impossible by ##(O_2)## and ##(O_3)\,##.
So we now have
##a, 2^{-1} \in P## (definition of a as greater than 0 )
##\Longrightarrow a \cdot 2^{-1} \in P## (Order Axiom ##O_2## ... see scanned text in above post)
##\Longrightarrow \frac{a}{2} \gt 0## (by definition of division ...see scanned text in above post)
Is that correct?
Yes.
If it is a valid and good proof ... then we still need to show ##\frac{a}{2} \lt a## ... but how ...?
You can use exercise 2.1.11 (1) and what you just have proven here.

Related to Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers .... Sohrab, Ex. 2.1(1)

1. What are the basic properties of the set of real numbers?

The set of real numbers has several fundamental properties, including closure, commutativity, associativity, distributivity, and identity. Closure means that when two real numbers are added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided, the result is also a real number. Commutativity means that the order in which numbers are added or multiplied does not affect the result. Associativity means that when multiple operations are performed on a set of real numbers, the result is the same regardless of how the numbers are grouped. Distributivity means that multiplication distributes over addition, and vice versa. Finally, the identity property states that there exist unique real numbers, 0 and 1, that when added to or multiplied by any other real number, result in that number itself.

2. What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio and have non-terminating, non-repeating decimal expansions. Examples of rational numbers include 1/2, 5/3, and 0.75, while examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2.

3. How are real numbers represented on a number line?

Real numbers are represented on a number line by plotting each number as a point on the line. The number 0 is placed at the center of the line, and positive numbers are placed to the right of 0 while negative numbers are placed to the left. The distance between any two points on the number line represents the difference between the two corresponding real numbers.

4. How do we order real numbers?

Real numbers are ordered from least to greatest on a number line, with the smallest number on the left and the largest number on the right. This is also known as the ascending order. To compare two real numbers, we can look at their position on the number line or use the greater than or less than symbols (> or <). Additionally, we can use the absolute value to compare the magnitudes of two numbers, where the larger absolute value is considered the larger number.

5. How can we apply real numbers in real-world situations?

Real numbers are used to represent quantities in real-world situations, such as measurements, money, and time. They can be used in various mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to solve problems and make calculations. For example, real numbers can be used to calculate distances, determine the cost of items, or measure the passage of time.