Open and Closed Sets - Sohrab Exercise 2.4.4 - Part 3

In summary, Peter is reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition) and is currently focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers. He is seeking help with Exercise 2.2.4 Part (3) and has not made any progress on the set \{ \frac{1}{n} \ : \ n \in \mathbb{N} \}. Peter reflects on the general approach to the proof that \mathbb{N} and \mathbb{Z} are closed and asks for assistance with writing the proof in terms of open sets and \epsilon-neighborhoods. Opalg provides a helpful summary of Sohrab's definitions and
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with a part of Exercise 2.2.4 Part (3) ... ...

Exercise 2.2.4 Part (3) reads as follows:

View attachment 7185I am unable to make a meaningful start on this problem ... can someone help me with the exercise ...

Note: Reflecting in general terms, I suspect the proof that \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\) are closed is approached by looking at the complement sets of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\) ... visually \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) \ \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) \ \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\) and proving that these sets are open ... which intuitively they seem to be ... but I cannot see how to technically write the proof in terms of open sets and \(\displaystyle \epsilon\)-neighborhoods ... can someone please help ...

I have not made any progress regarding the set \(\displaystyle \{ \frac{1}{n} \ : \ n \in \mathbb{N} \}\) ...

Peter
=========================================================================================

The above exercise relies on the definition of open sets and related concepts and so to provide readers with a knowledge of Sohrab's definitions and notation I am provided the following text ...View attachment 7186

Physics news on Phys.org
The set $S = \{1/n:n\in\Bbb{N}\}$ is not open, because for example it contains the point $1$ but it does not contain any $\varepsilon$-neighbourhood of $1$. (In fact, the point $1 + \frac12\varepsilon$ is in that neighbourhood but is not in $S$.)

To show from the definition that $S$ is not closed, you are right that one must show that its complement is not open (because that is how closedness is defined). In this case, the point $0$ is in $S^c$, but every $\varepsilon$-neighbourhood of $0$ contains an element of $S$. In fact, given $\varepsilon>0$, choose (by the Archimedean property of $\Bbb{R}$!) an integer $n>1/\varepsilon$. Then $1/n \in B_\varepsilon(0)$.

Opalg said:
The set $S = \{1/n:n\in\Bbb{N}\}$ is not open, because for example it contains the point $1$ but it does not contain any $\varepsilon$-neighbourhood of $1$. (In fact, the point $1 + \frac12\varepsilon$ is in that neighbourhood but is not in $S$.)

To show from the definition that $S$ is not closed, you are right that one must show that its complement is not open (because that is how closedness is defined). In this case, the point $0$ is in $S^c$, but every $\varepsilon$-neighbourhood of $0$ contains an element of $S$. In fact, given $\varepsilon>0$, choose (by the Archimedean property of $\Bbb{R}$!) an integer $n>1/\varepsilon$. Then $1/n \in B_\varepsilon(0)$.
Thanks Opalg ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

Related to Open and Closed Sets - Sohrab Exercise 2.4.4 - Part 3

What are open and closed sets?

Open and closed sets are two types of subsets in a topological space. An open set is a set that contains all of its boundary points, while a closed set is a set that includes all of its limit points.

How are open sets and closed sets different?

The main difference between open and closed sets is that open sets contain their boundary points, while closed sets include their limit points. Another difference is that an open set can be "opened up" by translating or dilating it, while a closed set cannot.

Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, in some cases, a set can be both open and closed. These sets are known as clopen sets. An example of a clopen set is the empty set, which contains all of its boundary and limit points.

What are some examples of open sets?

Some examples of open sets include intervals on a real line (such as (0,1) or (-5,10)), open disks in a plane, and open balls in a metric space. In general, any set that does not contain its boundary points can be considered an open set.

Why are open and closed sets important in topology?

Open and closed sets are important in topology because they help define the topology of a space. They are used to describe the properties and behavior of topological spaces, and they are essential for understanding continuity, convergence, and other topological concepts.