Opinions on Opera Browser: Better than Firefox? (For Dial-Up Users)

In summary, opinions on the Opera Browser compared to Firefox for dial-up users are mixed. While some users appreciate Opera's fast loading speeds and efficient use of data, others find Firefox to be more user-friendly and customizable. Ultimately, the choice between the two browsers depends on individual preferences and needs.
Mudvaynelethaldosage
I'd like an opinion on the browser, Opera. I happen to like it, but I'm wondering how good it actually is in your opinions? If Firefox has any significant advantages? I have dial up, so I don't have much bandwidth.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Opera is much quicker than Firefox on dial-up connections, so I recommend keeping it. Firefox does have extensions which you can download to customize your browser, but because you have dial-up, they might take quite a while to download. I have used Opera for quite a while now and it has not failed to impress me.

Rumor has it that Google is trying to buy Opera

I've been using Opera since just about the beginning and I still use it, almost exclusively, because it does almost everything I need and it is the fastest browser out there. I also like Firefox because it does have a plug-in structure that provides some capabilities Opera does not easily accommodate.

Opera appears to be the only browser that adheres strictly to html standards and that is, in a sense, its only flaw since a few websites opt to design their pages strictly for MSIE which does not adhere to the standards. On those rare occasions when Opera chokes on a website it's easy to fire up MSIE or (preferably) Firefox.

In any case, why don't you just go ahead and use Opera since it is free! Not only that, it is still under very active development and version 9 should be coming out fairly soon. It's almost guaranteed to be around for a good long time if Google does pick it up.

Last edited:
Opera is a great browser, and I would use it if it were not for its silly scroll button behavior. Firefox is a great browser too. I personally like Opera's speed and its mouse gestures over Firefox. But I like some of Firefox's extensions, and Firefox can be customized to the max, unlike Opera.

Either way, just DO NOT use IE and you should be fine.

If Google buys Opera it's market share will increase substantially. It would make things very interesting, i hope they do.

If Google buys Opera it's market share will increase substantially. It would make things very interesting, i hope they do.

Their market share of what?

Opera's share in the browser market will increase i mean (it will become more popular).

Greg Bernhardt said:
Rumor has it that Google is trying to buy Opera

I doubt it will happen. Google already employs the lead developer of Firefox.

dduardo said:
I doubt it will happen. Google already employs the lead developer of Firefox.

Yes, that's true; however, Google might want to add more pressure on Microsoft by adding another player in the browser field other than IE.

I'm still sticked with IE6, it has tab now once you install MSNSearch engine.

I'm still sticked with IE6, it has tab now once you install MSNSearch engine.

Like living life on the edge do you... Only thing I ever use IE is for my exchange http email interface, cause for best functionality it needs activex working..

Related to Opinions on Opera Browser: Better than Firefox? (For Dial-Up Users)

1. Is Opera Browser really better than Firefox for dial-up users?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. Opera Browser uses less data and has faster page load times, making it a good choice for dial-up users who have limited bandwidth. However, Firefox has a wider range of extensions and customization options, so it may be a better choice for users who value these features over speed.

2. How does Opera Browser use less data than Firefox?

Opera Browser has a built-in data-saving feature that compresses web pages before they are loaded, resulting in smaller data usage. It also blocks ads and trackers by default, which can further reduce data consumption. Firefox does not have these features built-in, but there are extensions available that can achieve similar results.

3. Can I still use Firefox extensions on Opera Browser?

No, Opera Browser has its own set of extensions that are not compatible with Firefox. However, many popular Firefox extensions have versions specifically designed for Opera, so you may still be able to find the ones you need.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Opera Browser instead of Firefox?

Some users may find Opera's interface and navigation to be less intuitive compared to Firefox. Additionally, Opera may not support certain advanced features or plugins that are available on Firefox. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and what features are most important to you.

5. Is Opera Browser completely free to use?

Yes, Opera Browser is free to download and use. However, there is a paid version called Opera GX that offers additional features such as a built-in VPN and ad-free browsing. The free version of Opera Browser should be sufficient for most dial-up users.