Nonzero exact 1-form implies foliation?

• Thread starter ivl
  • Start date
In summary: V of R^n containing p and a smooth function g:U-->V such that f(x)=g(x,f(p)) for all x in O). This is easy to prove. The regular value theorem follows by applying the implicit function theorem to the restriction of f to a neighbourhood of every point in f^{-1}(c) (the restriction is a smooth map from a space of dimension dim(M) to a space of dimension dim(M)-1, and so by choosing a rectangle U in R^{dim(M)} centered at a point p in f^{-1}(c) and then applying the implicit function theorem, you can write your manifold M as the graph of a smooth function g:U-->R^{dim(M)-1} near
ivl
Hi all,
First of all I would like to apologize, as my knowledge of differential geometry is not as good as it should be (I only took an introductory course for physicists).

Anyhow, here is a question for you. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-I have a four dimensional manifold, whose properties are rather banal (for instance, all closed differential forms are also exact).
-On this manifold, I am given a nowhere-vanishing 1-form (I call it "dt").
-I would like to know if this nowhere-vanishing exact 1-form "dt" determines a foliation (the folia are t=const surfaces).

An attempt to an answer: dt is an exact 1-form, and t is a function (which maps points in the manifold to real numbers). Now, if dt is nowhere zero, t is a monotonic function. The surfaces of t=const are thus folia which are monotonically labeled.

Related topics: Frobenius theorem, space+time foliation

Physics news on Phys.org
ivl said:
-I would like to know if this nowhere-vanishing exact 1-form "dt" determines a foliation (the folia are t=const surfaces).

Yes:

There is a theorem called the regular value theorem (which is really just a straightfoward application of the implicit function theorem), which states that if f:M-->R is a smooth map and c is a regular value of f (i.e. df is non vanishing at every point of f-1(c)), then f-1(c) is an embedded submanifold of dimension dim(M)-1 (a "hypersurface").

Hence, if df is nowhere vanishing on all of M, then f-1(c) is an embedded submanifold for every c in R, and exhausting every value of R exhaust every point of M and you have yourself a foliation of M by embedded hypersufaces.

Thanks for the useful reply, quasar987!

Let me just re-state what you said, so as to check if I understood.

====================
Remark: An exact 1-form that does not vanish in any point of a manifold M determines a foliation of M with folia of dimension dim(M)-1.
====================
Proof: Any exact 1-form df determines a function
f:M --> R
p |--> c=f(p)
which is smooth and defined up to a constant. The image of f, labeled Im(f), is the set of all c belonging to R such that c=f(p) for some point p of M. The inverse image of a real number c, denoted f^{-1}(c), is the set of all points p of M which are mapped to the value c by the function f.
Two crucial facts ought to be observed. Firstly, the manifold M is the domain of f, and thus trivially coincides with the inverse image of the full set Im(f). As a consequence, any point p in M can be labeled by a real number c by virtue of f(p)=c. Secondly, if the 1-form df is non-zero for all points of some f^{-1}(c), then the inverse image of a value c is an embedded sub-manifold of dimension dim(M)-1 [Regular Value Theorem]. Given that df is assumed to be nowhere vanishing, the inverse image of every c in Im(f) is an embedded sub-manifold. In conclusion, given an exact 1-form df which is always non-zero, all points of M can be labeled according to which embedded submanifold f^{-1}(c) they belong to. This provides a foliation, QED
======================

Great! Just two further silly questions... any help, again, is greatly appreciated:
-Is the direction of df the direction of increasing c?
-Do you know any good (hopefully easy) reference for the regular value theorem?

Thanks so much!

ivl said:
Thanks for the useful reply, quasar987!

Let me just re-state what you said, so as to check if I understood.

====================
Remark: An exact 1-form that does not vanish in any point of a manifold M determines a foliation of M with folia of dimension dim(M)-1.
====================
Proof: Any exact 1-form df determines a function
f:M --> R
p |--> c=f(p)
which is smooth and defined up to a constant. The image of f, labeled Im(f), is the set of all c belonging to R such that c=f(p) for some point p of M. The inverse image of a real number c, denoted f^{-1}(c), is the set of all points p of M which are mapped to the value c by the function f.
Two crucial facts ought to be observed. Firstly, the manifold M is the domain of f, and thus trivially coincides with the inverse image of the full set Im(f). As a consequence, any point p in M can be labeled by a real number c by virtue of f(p)=c. Secondly, if the 1-form df is non-zero for all points of some f^{-1}(c), then the inverse image of a value c is an embedded sub-manifold of dimension dim(M)-1 [Regular Value Theorem]. Given that df is assumed to be nowhere vanishing, the inverse image of every c in Im(f) is an embedded sub-manifold. In conclusion, given an exact 1-form df which is always non-zero, all points of M can be labeled according to which embedded submanifold f^{-1}(c) they belong to. This provides a foliation, QED
======================
Excellent!

ivl said:
Great! Just two further silly questions... any help, again, is greatly appreciated:
-Is the direction of df the direction of increasing c?
This is a bit ambiguous as df is not a vector. But if you pick a chart (x_1,...,x_n) of M and consider f(x_1,..,x_n) as a map on R^n, and then identify the 1-form [itex]df = \sum\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i}dx_i[/itex] with the vector field [itex]\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1},\ldots,\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_n}\right)[/itex], then of course this is just the gradient of f and it points in the direction of increasing c.

ivl said:
-Do you know any good (hopefully easy) reference for the regular value theorem?
It can be found in any book about smooth manifold theory. See for instance John M. Lee's Introduction to smooth manifold.

Or you could try to prove it yourself if you know the definition of an embedded submanifold and the implicit function theorem. The implicit function theorem simply says that if f:R^n=R^k x R^m -->R^m is a smooth map and p is a regular value of f (Df(p) is surjective), then locally near p the level set f-1(f(p)) is the graph of some function (there exists an open rectangle O = U x V in R^k x R^m such that O n f-1(f(p)) = {(x,F(x))| x in U} for some smooth map F:U-->V). But graphs of maps and clearly submanifolds since projection onto the domain is a (global) chart. Doing this for each point in f-1(f(p)) proves that it is a submanifold of dimension k=n-m.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the answer (and apology for the delay). The textbook you suggested seems to be useful -- well done, then!

Unfortunately, I do not know anything about graph theory... so I cannot follow your proof. Bu never mind, I think I got my solution :-)

Cheers!

The graph of a function f:A-->B is simply the set G={(x,f(x)|x in A} (i.e. that thing that you draw on a piece of paper when you draw a function R-->R). Nothing to do with graph theory.

Related to Nonzero exact 1-form implies foliation?

1. What is a nonzero exact 1-form?

A nonzero exact 1-form is a mathematical object used in differential geometry and topology. It is a type of differential form that can be written as the exterior derivative of another form, known as the potential 1-form. It is called "nonzero" because it must have at least one nonzero coefficient in order to be exact.

2. How does a nonzero exact 1-form relate to foliation?

A nonzero exact 1-form is closely related to the concept of foliation, which is a decomposition of a manifold into a collection of lower-dimensional submanifolds. The nonzero exact 1-form serves as a defining equation for the foliation, with the level sets of the potential 1-form corresponding to the submanifolds in the foliation.

3. What is the significance of nonzero exact 1-forms in mathematics?

Nonzero exact 1-forms have many important applications in mathematics, particularly in the fields of differential geometry and topology. They are used to study the topology and geometry of manifolds, and can also be used to define foliations and other important geometric structures.

4. Can a nonzero exact 1-form exist on any type of manifold?

Yes, a nonzero exact 1-form can exist on any smooth manifold. This is because every smooth manifold can be equipped with a differential form structure, and the exterior derivative can be used to define exact forms. However, not all manifolds will have nonzero exact 1-forms, as this depends on the specific structure and geometry of the manifold.

5. What are some examples of nonzero exact 1-forms?

Some common examples of nonzero exact 1-forms include the differential of a function on a manifold, known as a 1-form, and the exterior derivative of a 2-form, known as a 3-form. Other examples can be constructed using the wedge product and exterior derivative operations on other forms. In general, any form that can be written as the exterior derivative of another form is considered a nonzero exact 1-form.