The meaning of an integral of a one-form

In summary, Integrating a one-form along a curve gives a meaningful and good description of observations for conservative forces in physics, and it is a natural mathematical operation to perform.
observer1
So I understand that the integral of a differential form ω over the boundary of some orientable manifold Ω is equal to the integral of its exterior derivative dω over the whole of Ω.

And I understand that one can pull back the integral of a 1-form over a line to the line integral between the two endpoints.

I also understand (from my poor calculus training) how to do an integral of some function * dx between two endpoints. I KNOW what that means.

But I do NOT know what it means to integrate a one form. I mean, I get the integral, I get the presence of the integrand, I get the idea of "performing" it over a line. But if there is no "d" symbol on the integral, I cannot figure out what it means.

Note: I am teaching myself differential geometry, forms, calculus on manifolds, all at once. The clouds are clearing and rote operations are becoming more clear. I get that forms make doing these operatoins easier. I can see how the integral of force along a line bewtween two endpoints is work. I get that. But I do not understand what it means to integrate the 1-form force over the line. I cannot attach physical meaning to it.

So... What does it mean to integrate a one form? Where does it come from? (I get how I can pull it back, but I cannot figure out where the integral comes from or what it means when there is no "d")

Physics news on Phys.org
But there are "d"s in the differential forms. The coordinate basis for a differential p-form has the structure ##dx^{i_1}\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^{i_p}##.

Orodruin said:
But there are "d"s in the differential forms. The coordinate basis for a differential p-form has the structure ##dx^{i_1}\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^{i_p}##.

AH HA! Yes... You are right. I see that now... So the "d" is there! I am sorry... I was dense.
So is that then how they quickly decide that force is a one form and it has a potential function such that dV = F

observer1 said:
AH HA! Yes... You are right. I see that now... So the "d" is there! I am sorry... I was dense.
So is that then how they quickly decide that force is a one form and it has a potential function such that dV = F
In order for this to be the case, the force must be conservative (which would mean that dF=0). If this is the case, Poincaré's lemma tells you that a potential exists (at least locally).

In order to conclude that force is a one-form, you would first have to provide details on how "force" has been introduced.

Orodruin said:
In order for this to be the case, the force must be conservative (which would mean that dF=0). If this is the case, Poincaré's lemma tells you that a potential exists (at least locally).

In order to conclude that force is a one-form, you would first have to provide details on how "force" has been introduced.

Would you mind if I followed up with one more issue?

What motivates me to integrate a potential function alone a line?
Yes, when I do, and use generalized Stokes, and if I realize that the differential of a potential function is a force, and the resulting line integral pulled back to a 1-D mapping, I get the work... sure.

But what motivates me to even want to integate the potential function along the line?

I get the reverse motivation. That is founded in something I "physically" appreciate: the tangent of the force along the line, integrated.
But what motivates me to integrate the potential function along the line?

observer1 said:
But what motivates me to integrate the potential function along the line?
Nothing. The potential is a 0-form. It is 1-forms that are integrated along curves.

Orodruin said:
Nothing. The potential is a 0-form. It is 1-forms that are integrated along curves.

I am sorry... I mis typed. I should have asked: Why integrate the differential of the potential along the line?

Integral of dV=-F
Why integrate the force along a line?

Are you asking for a mathematical or a physical reason?

Orodruin said:
Are you asking for a mathematical or a physical reason?

Was going to say physical, but now that I think... both? Please?

Physics wise, because it gives a meaningful and good description of observations for the type of force that we call conservative and let's us relate work done to a potential energy. Mathematics wise, because the natural type of object to integrate a one-form over is a (directed) curve.

1. What is the definition of an integral of a one-form?

An integral of a one-form is a mathematical operation that calculates the total sum or "area under the curve" of a one-form, which is a type of vector field that assigns a magnitude and direction to each point in a space.

2. How is an integral of a one-form different from a regular integral?

An integral of a one-form differs from a regular integral in that it operates on a one-form, which is a type of vector field, rather than a function. This means that the integral takes into account the direction and magnitude of the vector field at each point, rather than just the numerical value.

3. What is the significance of calculating an integral of a one-form?

Calculating an integral of a one-form is significant because it allows us to find the total sum of a vector field, which can be useful in a variety of applications. For example, it can be used to calculate work done by a force field or the flux of a vector field through a surface.

4. How is the integral of a one-form related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The integral of a one-form is related to the fundamental theorem of calculus in that it is an extension of the concept of a regular integral. Just as the fundamental theorem of calculus relates the derivative and integral of a function, the fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals relates the gradient and integral of a one-form.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating an integral of a one-form?

Calculating an integral of a one-form has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate work done by a force field, find the net flow of a fluid, or calculate the total profit from a production process, among others.