Integrability of the tautological 1-form

In summary, the conversation discusses the integrability of a Hamiltonian on a 2n dimensional vector space and its relation to the Frobenius theorem. The Hamiltonian is represented as a 1-form and it is assumed to be non-degenerate along the flow of x. The main questions are whether the Hamiltonian is Liouville integrable and if it has n commuting integrals with respect to the canonical Poisson bracket. The speaker also mentions that this topic is not their area of expertise and they would appreciate any guidance.
MathNeophyte
TL;DR Summary
Trying to understand under what conditions the tautological/Liouville one form is integrable in the sense of having $n$ Poisson commuting integrals.
Apologies for potentially being imprecise and clunky, but I'm trying understand integrability of the following Hamiltonian
$$H(x,p)=\langle p,f(x) \rangle$$
on a 2n dimensional vector space
$$T^{\ast}\mathcal{M} =\mathbb{R}^{2n}.$$
Clearly this is just the 1-form $$\theta_{(x,p)} = \sum_{i}{p_i{}dq^{i}}.$$
I assume that anywhere along the flow of x given some x0
$$x(\tau) = \Phi(x_{0},\tau)$$ the Hamiltonian is non-degenerate i.e. the Hessian of the Hamiltonian is full rank.

My questions are:
  1. Is H(x,p) Liouville integrable along the orbits of x given the above non-degeneracy assumption? I.e. Does this Hamiltonian have n, non-constant integrals that are commuting with respect to the cannonical Poisson bracket?
  2. How does this relate to the differential form version of the Frobenius theorem?
I would appreciate any and all pointers, this clearly isn't my domain of expertise but it is a question that arose in some work on dynamical systems.

Likes jbergman
Physics news on Phys.org

The tautological 1-form is the canonical 1-form on the cotangent bundle $T^*\mathcal{M}$, given by $\theta_{(x,p)} = \sum_i p_i dq^i$. This is a special case of a symplectic form, which is a closed, non-degenerate 2-form on a symplectic manifold. In this case, the symplectic manifold is $T^*\mathcal{M}$, which has dimension $2n$.

Now, to answer your first question, the Hamiltonian $H(x,p) = \langle p,f(x) \rangle$ is not Liouville integrable in general. Liouville integrability requires the existence of $n$ independent, globally defined integrals of motion that commute with each other. In this case, we only have one integral of motion, given by $H(x,p)$, and it is not guaranteed to be globally defined. Furthermore, even if we have $n$ independent integrals of motion, they may not necessarily commute with each other.

To understand this better, let's look at the differential form version of the Frobenius theorem. The Frobenius theorem states that a distribution on a manifold is integrable if and only if it is involutive. In the case of a symplectic manifold, the distribution is given by the kernel of the symplectic form, which is the set of all vectors that are orthogonal to the symplectic form. This distribution is involutive, which means that it is closed under the Lie bracket operation. In other words, if we have two vectors $X$ and $Y$ in the distribution, then their Lie bracket $[X,Y]$ is also in the distribution.

Now, let's relate this to our Hamiltonian. The Hamiltonian vector field $X_H$ associated with $H(x,p)$ is given by $X_H = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_i}\frac{\partial}{\partial q^i} - \frac{\partial H}{\partial q^i}\frac{\partial}{\partial p_i}$. This vector field is tangent to the distribution, since it is in the kernel of the symplectic form. Furthermore, it is closed under the Lie bracket operation, which means that it generates a flow that preserves the symplectic structure. However, this does not guarantee that the Hamiltonian is Liouville

Related to Integrability of the tautological 1-form

1. What is the tautological 1-form?

The tautological 1-form is a mathematical concept used in the field of differential geometry. It is a differential 1-form defined on a manifold that assigns to each point on the manifold the tangent vector at that point. In simple terms, it is a way of representing the tangent space at each point on a manifold.

2. What does it mean for the tautological 1-form to be integrable?

Integrability of the tautological 1-form means that it can be expressed as an exact differential form on the manifold. This means that the tautological 1-form can be written as the exterior derivative of a function on the manifold. In other words, the tautological 1-form can be integrated along any path on the manifold to give a unique value.

3. How is the integrability of the tautological 1-form related to the concept of a symplectic structure?

The integrability of the tautological 1-form is closely related to the existence of a symplectic structure on the manifold. A symplectic structure is a mathematical structure that allows for the integration of differential forms, including the tautological 1-form. In fact, the integrability of the tautological 1-form is a necessary condition for the existence of a symplectic structure on a manifold.

4. Can the integrability of the tautological 1-form be tested?

Yes, there are several methods for testing the integrability of the tautological 1-form. One approach is to use the Cartan-Kähler theorem, which states that a differential form is integrable if and only if it satisfies a certain condition known as the Cartan-Kähler equation. Another approach is to use the Frobenius theorem, which provides a criterion for determining the integrability of a differential form.

5. What are the implications of the integrability of the tautological 1-form?

The integrability of the tautological 1-form has important implications in the fields of differential geometry and symplectic geometry. It allows for the construction of symplectic structures and provides a way to integrate differential forms on a manifold. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of Hamiltonian mechanics and classical mechanics.