Noise in Engines: Investigating Chain & Sprocket Design

In summary, the conversation is about noise in engines, specifically caused by the running of a chain on sprockets. The parameters in the design of sprockets and chains that contribute to noise are discussed, as well as the use of different types of designs such as timing chains and silent chains. The individual is looking for ways to reduce noise in their two-wheeler 4-stroke petrol engine and is interested in modifying the design of the sprocket. They also mention the importance of considering manufacturing tolerances and how it may affect the sprocket's performance.
mrajm
hi..
can someone help me out with noise in engines..
i am specifically interested in noise due to running of chain on sprockets..
it is a sort of whistling noise...
which are those parameters in design of sprocket and chain which contribute in noise..
we can also talk in terms of different types of designs of chains and sprockets

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only chain inside an automotive internal combustion engine is normally the timing chain, but in modern engines these are often replaced with relatively quiet timing belts.

i am talking of a two wheeler 4 stroke petrol engine.
in my existing design i have a sprocket and roller timing chain..
this is not a silent chain but a roller chain and the noise is prominent at 2000 rpm.
if i reduce the tension of the chain the noise level is reduced.

Thanks Jack action for good link that you have sent...
i have tried to find good silent chain but in the design of my engine there is no provision of silent chain...
only roller chain are available...
can we do something on the sprocket side to remove this noise...
maybe something which can modify the design such that the noise is eliminated..

Last edited:
i think that the basic principle creates noise is rubbing contact between parts..
i think there is some geometry involved in making the design..
is there some before hand information on that..

what are changes we need to do in the original design of a sprocket to compensate for manufacturing tolerances?
how would it change the performance of sprocket?

Related to Noise in Engines: Investigating Chain & Sprocket Design

1. What is noise in engines and why is it important to investigate chain and sprocket design?

Noise in engines refers to the sound produced by the mechanical components of an engine, such as the chain and sprocket. Investigating chain and sprocket design is important because excessive noise can indicate potential problems with the engine, such as wear and tear or improper design, which can affect the overall performance and longevity of the engine.

2. How does the design of a chain and sprocket affect engine noise?

The design of a chain and sprocket can greatly impact the amount of noise produced by an engine. A well-designed chain and sprocket will have precise tolerances and smooth surfaces, which will reduce friction and minimize noise. On the other hand, a poorly designed chain and sprocket with loose or misaligned components can create excessive noise and vibrations.

3. What factors should be considered when investigating chain and sprocket design to reduce engine noise?

When investigating chain and sprocket design to reduce engine noise, factors such as material selection, surface finish, lubrication, and alignment should be considered. Using high-quality materials and ensuring proper lubrication can reduce friction and noise. Additionally, maintaining proper alignment between the chain and sprocket can also minimize noise.

4. How can noise in engines be measured and analyzed during the investigation process?

Noise in engines can be measured and analyzed using a variety of tools and techniques, such as sound level meters, spectrum analyzers, and vibration analysis. These tools can help quantify the level and frequency of noise in an engine, which can then be compared to industry standards and used to identify potential issues with chain and sprocket design.

5. What are some potential solutions for reducing noise in engines caused by chain and sprocket design?

There are several potential solutions for reducing noise in engines caused by chain and sprocket design. These include using high-quality materials, improving surface finish, ensuring proper lubrication, and implementing proper maintenance and alignment practices. Additionally, incorporating noise-reducing technologies such as sound dampening materials or chain tensioners can also help minimize noise in engines.