Drive Chain Connection: Single or Double Roller?

In summary, the question is whether it is better to connect a drive chain to one roller or both when rotating a tube using two rollers. The work to be done is the same in both cases and there shouldn't be any difference in terms of power consumption. However, connecting the chain to both rollers may provide extra stability. Additionally, the coefficient of friction between the tube and the rollers may affect the system, but information on this is sparse. It is important to consider the force/torque that may act to oppose the rotation of the tube and design the system accordingly. Ultimately, using a single roller may be simpler and sufficient for the task if it meets all requirements.
George Zucas
Hello all,

I have two rollers that will be rotated which will in turn rotate another tube on top of them. The connection will be made with a drive chain between the motor sprocket and the roller sprocket(s). My question is, would it be better to connect the chain to one roller, or to both?

I'd think that since the work to be done is the same in both cases (rotating the tube), there shouldn't be any difference in terms of power consumption and it would provide extra stability. May there be any other thing to consider?

Oh wait, I actually found a similar setup, though I am not sure how the chain system at the beginning works. It looks like there are two sprockets on the motor shaft and two different chains are used, but can't be sure.

My main problem is that what I've learned in school and all the information I can find about chains are for two sprockets. I made all the necessary calculations for a two sprocket setup but don't know what would happen if three sprockets are used.

Thank you for any help.

George Zucas said:
Hello all,

I have two rollers that will be rotated which will in turn rotate another tube on top of them. The connection will be made with a drive chain between the motor sprocket and the roller sprocket(s). My question is, would it be better to connect the chain to one roller, or to both?

I'd think that since the work to be done is the same in both cases (rotating the tube), there shouldn't be any difference in terms of power consumption and it would provide extra stability. May there be any other thing to consider?

Oh wait, I actually found a similar setup, though I am not sure how the chain system at the beginning works. It looks like there are two sprockets on the motor shaft and two different chains are used, but can't be sure.

My main problem is that what I've learned in school and all the information I can find about chains are for two sprockets. I made all the necessary calculations for a two sprocket setup but don't know what would happen if three sprockets are used.

Thank you for any help.

What is the coefficient of friction between the tube on top and the rollers? Is it high enough to be sure that the tube will turn the 2nd roller when it is not actively being driven?

Likes George Zucas
berkeman said:
What is the coefficient of friction between the tube on top and the rollers? Is it high enough to be sure that the tube will turn the 2nd roller when it is not actively being driven?

Thank you for the reply.

The rollers will be steel and the tube is also steel but it is very hot (like 750 C degrees or so). Their surface are not very smooth so I believe the coefficient of friction will be high enough. I took it as 0.05 in my power requirement calculation as I was advised, but the information about this is sparse.

Last edited:
George Zucas said:
Thank you for the reply.

The rollers will be steel and the tube is also steel but it is very hot (like 750 C degrees or so). Their surface are not very smooth so I believe the coefficient of friction will be high enough. I took it as 0.05 in my power requirement calculation as I was advised, but the information about this is sparse.

What would be the ramifications if the 2nd roller stalled due to a low coefficient of friction? Would that hurt the process at all?

You mean the tube keeps rotating but one of the rollers just stop? As long as the tube keeps rotating it is not a problem. They are being transferred in the facility and they need to be constantly rotating in the process.

You need to consider what force/torque may act to oppose the rotation of the tube (the work piece). This is what could cause slippage. From this you can either design the system so that the normal force on the driven roller is increased (for more traction) by the opposing torque, or perhaps drive both rollers.
It would be simpler to drive a single roller if possible. Simplicity is good!

Likes George Zucas
Thanks. I am sure there wouldn't be any problem like that because the tubes will be really heavy (something like 20 tons per piece) So driving a single roller would be better solely because it is easier to implement? If there would be no change in energy consumption or some other factor ( in my opinion there shouldn't be, but I didn't want to act on a guess) it is good either way.

I'm not saying to use a single roller "solely because it is easier." What I mean is that if there's no reason to make it complicated, then keep it simple. If a single roller meets all your requirements (like providing enough traction), why use two? If you find a need for two, or just feel more confident in it, then that's what you do.

Likes George Zucas

Related to Drive Chain Connection: Single or Double Roller?

1. What is the difference between a single and double roller drive chain connection?

A single roller drive chain connection has one roller per link, while a double roller drive chain connection has two rollers per link. This means that a double roller drive chain has twice as many rollers as a single roller drive chain, which can improve its strength and durability.

2. Which type of drive chain connection is more commonly used?

Single roller drive chain connections are more commonly used due to their simplicity and lower cost. They are suitable for most applications and offer sufficient strength for most systems.

3. What are the benefits of using a double roller drive chain connection?

A double roller drive chain connection offers increased strength and durability compared to a single roller drive chain. This makes it suitable for heavy-duty applications that require a higher level of power transmission.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a double roller drive chain connection?

The main drawback of a double roller drive chain connection is its higher cost compared to a single roller drive chain. Additionally, the extra rollers can also increase friction and decrease efficiency in some applications.

5. How do I determine which type of drive chain connection is best for my application?

The type of drive chain connection you should use depends on factors such as the power and speed requirements of your system, as well as the cost and maintenance considerations. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to manufacturer guidelines to determine the most suitable option for your specific application.