Can You Convert a Trike Differential Gear to a Chain Drive for a Kart?

In summary: However, if the crown wheel is powered by the engine, the reduction ratio for the final chain sprocket is a very important design parameter. Putting the chain on the differential input shaft would make it difficult to change the chain reduction ratio without rebuilding the differential. You would need to cut off the input shaft and replace it with a shaft with a different size. Alternatively, you could use a differential with a built-in chain reduction gear.
synMehdi
Hi, I'm a beginner in mechanics so I need some help with a project I started. My project consists of a small kart-like car.

The car will be Rear-Wheel-Drive and Rear-Engine too (RR layout). and I am willing to use a small 110cc moped engine.

I have a trike Differential Gear for the rear shaft that I want to use. It has a prop shaft drive.

I want to change that and convert it into a Chain Drive Differential. Is it possible by adding Sprockets to the ring gear (and opening the differential housing to pass the chain)? can I put the Sprocket outside the housing? or is there a better solution?
My aim is to mount the chain directly between the engine and the Differential Gear.

Engineering news on Phys.org
synMehdi said:
Hi, I'm a beginner in mechanics so I need some help with a project I started. My project consists of a small kart-like car.

The car will be Rear-Wheel-Drive and Rear-Engine too (RR layout). and I am willing to use a small 110cc moped engine.

I have a trike Differential Gear for the rear shaft that I want to use. It has a prop shaft drive.

I want to change that and convert it into a Chain Drive Differential. Is it possible by adding Sprockets to the ring gear (and opening the differential housing to pass the chain)? can I put the Sprocket outside the housing? or is there a better solution?
My aim is to mount the chain directly between the engine and the Differential Gear.

I used Google Images and pasted in the title of your thread. I got some very helpful image hits... :smile:

You need to think clearly about how the chain can enter and leave the differential housing while maintaing adequate lubrication. If the sprocket is outside the housing, how do you transfer the power to the ring gear without compromising the strength of the differential housing? Is there any reason not to put the sprocket on the differential input shaft and turn the motor 90 degrees?

A small moped engine will have a fairly high RPM. You will need a significant reduction ratio set by the size of the chain sprockets. A differential typically has an internal pinion to crown wheel reduction ratio between 3 and 4. That makes the chain reduction ratio less of a problem as the final chain sprocket will be about one third the size needed if the crown wheel was directly driven.

Related to Can You Convert a Trike Differential Gear to a Chain Drive for a Kart?

1. What is a chain drive differential gear?

A chain drive differential gear is a mechanical device used in vehicles to transfer rotational power from the engine to the wheels. It consists of a set of gears arranged in a specific way to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds while still receiving power from the engine.

2. How does a chain drive differential gear work?

The chain drive differential gear works by using a set of gears and chains to transfer power from the engine to the wheels. The engine's power is transmitted to the input pinion gear, which then rotates the ring gear. The ring gear is connected to the spider gears, which transfer power to the side gears attached to the wheels through the axle shafts. The differential gears allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds, based on factors such as turning and road conditions.

3. What are the benefits of a chain drive differential gear?

The main benefit of a chain drive differential gear is its ability to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds while still receiving power from the engine. This is crucial for vehicles to turn and navigate different terrains smoothly. Additionally, chain drive differential gears are relatively inexpensive, reliable, and easy to maintain.

4. What are the common problems with a chain drive differential gear?

Some common problems with a chain drive differential gear include worn or damaged gears, loose chains, and leaky seals. These issues can result in noise, vibrations, and reduced performance. Regular maintenance and repairs can help prevent these problems and ensure the proper functioning of the differential gear.

5. Can a chain drive differential gear be replaced or repaired?

Yes, a chain drive differential gear can be replaced or repaired if it becomes damaged or worn out. However, it is a complex and labor-intensive process that should be done by a trained professional. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the differential gear to prevent major issues and costly repairs in the future.