Chain Conveyor Speed Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a conveyor speed using chain pitch, sprocket PCD, number of teeth, and output RPM of a gearmotor. A practical example is provided, which includes a sketch for reference. The use of a VFD to achieve the required speed is mentioned, along with available specifications such as motor speed, gearbox reduction, and sprocket PCD and number of teeth. The process of determining the required RPM for the conveyor sprocket is explained, with a calculation for the gearbox ratio also provided. The calculated gearbox ratio differs from the initial estimate, and it is suggested that the tooth ratio method may also be used.
kunalv
Okay this has has been driving me crazy.

I would like to know how a conveyor speed can be calculated on the basis of chain pitch, sprocket PCD & no. of teeth and output RPM of gearmotor.

So here is a practical example I'm having to solve at the moment:

I have to drive a conveyor at a speed of 760mm/min. To drive this, I am using a drive system which consists of a small sprocket mounted on the output shaft of the gearbox. This sprocket is connected to a larger sprocket by means of a chain.

A shaft from the larger driven sprocket is connected to the main conveyor sprocket on which the conveyor chain is mounted. This chain needs to be driven at 760mm/min or in other words, the part at one station needs to travel to the next station 760mm away in one minute.

I have enclosed a sketch of this arrangement for reference.
https://ibb.co/hyhJ5a

I am going to use a VFD to achieve the required speed. Available specifications:-

Motor Speed - 915 RPM (6-pole)
Gearbox Reduction - 73.6 (this I am yet to finalize, Can go for a different reduction ratio if required)
Output RPM - 12.43
PCD of Small drive sprocket - 106.14mm
No. of teeth on small drive sprocket - 13
PCD of large driven sprocket - 461mm
No. of teeth on large driven sprocket - 57
PCD of conveyor sprocket (mounted on same shaft as driven sprocket) - 598mm
No. of teeth on conveyor sprocket - 74

Chain Pitch - 1"

Any help for this would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

KV

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your drive speed is exactly constant, you will not get exactly constant belt speed due to the slight variations introduced by the variable radius of the chain sprocket. For most purposes, this can be ignored. After that, just treat it like a belt drive, taking ratios of the sprocket radii to determine the speed ratios.

If I've understood the set up correctly I get quite a different value for the gearbox ratio...

Looking at the conveyor sprocket. The PCD is 598mm so the circumference = Pi * 598 = 1878mm. (1rpm would move the belt at 1878mm/min which is too much, so we expect the required rpm to be <1rpm).

The required velocity at the pitch diameter is 760mm/min so the required rpm of the conveyor sprocket is..

= 760/1878 = 0.405 rpm

The large driven sprocket is mounted on the same shaft as conveyor sprocket so it must also turn at 0.405 rpm.

The required rpm of the small sprocket can be calculated from the ratio of the pitch diameters..

= 0.405 * 461/106.14
= 1.76rpm

Using the tooth ratio should also give a similar answer..

= 0.405 * 57/13
= 1.78rpm

If the motor turns at 915rpm I calculate the gearbox ratio required is about

915/1.78 = 514

Somewhat different to the 73.6 you have. Perhaps I made a mistake but I can't see it.

Related to Chain Conveyor Speed Calculation

1. What is a chain conveyor and what is its purpose?

A chain conveyor is a type of mechanical handling equipment used to move materials from one location to another. It consists of a series of interconnected chains that are driven by a motor, allowing for the continuous and efficient transportation of goods. They are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, logistics, and agriculture.

2. How is the speed of a chain conveyor calculated?

The speed of a chain conveyor can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. This can be expressed as: speed = distance/time. The distance traveled is determined by the length of the conveyor and the number of revolutions made by the chain in a given time period. The time taken is measured in seconds.

3. What factors affect the speed of a chain conveyor?

The speed of a chain conveyor can be affected by several factors, including the length and width of the conveyor, the weight and type of material being transported, the power of the motor, and the tension and condition of the chains. Other factors such as incline, friction, and load distribution can also impact the speed of the conveyor.

4. Why is it important to calculate the speed of a chain conveyor?

Calculating the speed of a chain conveyor is important because it helps determine the efficiency and productivity of the system. By knowing the speed, the conveyor can be properly adjusted to meet the required production rate and ensure that materials are moved at a consistent pace. It also helps identify any potential issues or bottlenecks in the system.

5. Are there any formulas or tools available for chain conveyor speed calculation?

Yes, there are various formulas and online tools available for calculating the speed of a chain conveyor. These include the conveyor speed calculator, which uses the conveyor length and number of chain revolutions to calculate the speed, and the RPM calculator, which calculates the revolutions per minute of the conveyor based on its diameter and speed. It is important to use the correct formula or tool for accurate calculations.