Nintendo's Revolution: Wii - What Do You Think?

• Thread starter KCL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revolution
In summary, Nintendo recently announced the name of their next console, Wii, which features a revolutionary controller that senses its location and rotation in 3D space. The company's goal with this console is to reach a new audience and make gaming more accessible. However, there has been criticism over the name and the controller, with some gamers expressing doubt over the success of the console. The release of highly-anticipated games such as Zelda and Metroid may attract more players, but it remains to be seen if the Wii will outsell its competitors, the PS3 and Xbox 360.
KCL
http://revolution.nintendo.com

Nintendo recently announced the official name of their next console, previously knows as Revolution...

and it's going to be called... Wii.

So, what do you think? I'm curious... :smile:

If you're not familiar with revolution, er, Wii, it's nintendo's next console and it features a rather revolutionary controller - it senses its location in 3d space and other things such is rotation and whatnot. Here's a promo from last year's unveiling:

[MEDIA=youtube]bAtTIDnfiSs[/MEDIA]&search=revolution%20controller[/URL]

This was only a teaser, we'll only see real Wii games in 10 days At the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the big show for videogames. Supposedly there's another 'revolutionary' aspect to the console that people are speculating nintendo will reveal in their conference at the expo.

The whole idea behind Wii, the name and the console, is to reach new audiences. Nintendo's philosophy is to create easy accessible games for people who don't usually play games. They want just about every human being capable of holding that controller to play their machine... that's why they went with Wii... which I (and about 99% of gamers currently :smile: ) don't like.

Anyway considering there isn't a topic on this here, and just in the last two days this set the internet on fire to say the least, I'm curious what everybody here thinks especially since you guys are part of nintendo's target. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, they're Japanese.

I think nintendo are going to crash and burn. Nobody likes the name, the console sucks compared to the other next-generation consoles and you can't play conventional games with that kind of controller.

I'm not entirely sure that this 'massive' market they're trying to tap into actually exists, why couldn't they just concentrate on a console that eats into the other two instead of going down this dead-end?

"We are the knights who say...wii!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't really played with consoles ina long time, so I'm not that excited anymore. =/
I can't wait for FF3 for my DS though.

I'll probably buy it, Wii has to be the worst name ever...

but I'm more excited about the new Zelda which gets released that day(I believe)

yomamma said:

but I'm more excited about the new Zelda which gets released that day(I believe)
I love Zelda!

yomamma said:

Which Zelda? Twilight Princess or Phantom Hourglass? One is for the Wii and one is for the DS/GCB. The one for the Wii looks awesome, although I'll probably buy both.

Paden Roder

Twilight princess comes out for Wii and Gamecube...I don't know much about phantom hourglass

yomamma said:
Twilight princess comes out for Wii and Gamecube...I don't know much about phantom hourglass
Yeah, that's right. I think PH is for the DS.

Paden Roder

Zelda + Metroid = Win

Pythagorean said:
Zelda + Metroid = Win
Good point. Another Metroid game for the Wii looks pretty splendid. Plus, Mario Galaxy wouldn't be a bad addition to any gamer's collection

Paden Roder

Just some guy said:
I think nintendo are going to crash and burn. Nobody likes the name, the console sucks compared to the other next-generation consoles and you can't play conventional games with that kind of controller.

I'm not entirely sure that this 'massive' market they're trying to tap into actually exists, why couldn't they just concentrate on a console that eats into the other two instead of going down this dead-end?

Do you still think this? I really think that Nintendo is actually going to outsell Sony this time around.

And you can plug in up to four gamecube controllers into it too. So you CAN play traditional games too.

Mario galaxy is what I am pumped about. I CAN"T WAIT!

Not a big fan of Nintendo but i must give them creidt for there controler system. That in itself is pretty cool. I was not very impressed with xbox 360 because once again Microsoft lied and there was no intregrated wireless connection...I am farely confident that PS3 will have the best graphics and it will be no competition. It all comes down to what you wan to play.

I don't think its possible for Nintendo to outsell Sony. Judging by the graphics from PS3, there just simply amazing. The only thing in my opinion Nintendo has going for them are the Mario liscene and the Metroid games. Without those i don't think they'd exist...

I don't think that the Wii would outsell the PS3 if those were the only two consoles on the market, but I think since the 360 has done so well I don't think that sony will do nearly as well as they have done the previous two generations.

I have merged 2 threads concerning this game system.

I was wondering what happened because my threads were back to back and it was confusing. Thanks for the clarification

Stevedye56 said:
I don't think its possible for Nintendo to outsell Sony. Judging by the graphics from PS3, there just simply amazing.

I don't really think that graphics are going to be the biggest factor this time around. I think that the Wii really will be as inovative as they are hyping it up to be.

PS3 has sensors in the controler just like Wii though. Well at least that's what Sony said but who can really trust that?

I don't think its possible for Nintendo to outsell Sony. Judging by the graphics from PS3, there just simply amazing. The only thing in my opinion Nintendo has going for them are the Mario liscene and the Metroid games. Without those i don't think they'd exist...
Haven't you heard? The PS3 is going to cost $500 or $600, depending on which type you get. The Wii is going to be half that price, at $250. I think Sony really went and shot themselves in the foot with that one.

I haven't played video games in a while, but I'm really excited about the Wii. I am of the personal belief that video games stagnated a while back into a graphics war. If you think about it, nothing major has changed in them since the N64's launch, about ten years ago.

Yes I've heard the price. But consider the memory of the PS3 its in the Gigabytes...

Stevedye56 said:
PS3 has sensors in the controler just like Wii though. Well at least that's what Sony said but who can really trust that?

Except it's not really anything at all like the Wii, is it? It's essentially what Microsoft was doing five years ago with PC controllers, and they've only just now caught up. The Wii takes the same fundamental idea and makes it useable in just about any situation, rather than simply flight/racing sims (can you think of any use for it in Sony's favourite genre, the RPG, for example?).

The problem is though I've never liked the RPG games, nor have i liked Sony's line of gaming systems. I agree with the fact that its just a graphics war and that's all it seems to be now. I am just trying to say that i believe that PS3 will have the best graphics, that's really what your paying for...memory is cheap.

Stevedye56 said:
The problem is though I've never liked the RPG games, nor have i liked Sony's line of gaming systems. I agree with the fact that its just a graphics war and that's all it seems to be now. I am just trying to say that i believe that PS3 will have the best graphics, that's really what your paying for...memory is cheap.
It's not just the graphics. I hope the PS3 somehow floats so that the IBM Cell processor gains foothold. It's supposed to be a quantum leap in processor architecture.

Yonoz said:
It's not just the graphics. I hope the PS3 somehow floats so that the IBM Cell processor gains foothold. It's supposed to be a quantum leap in processor architecture.

Id assume that it will farely soon judging by how much microsoft made of the Xbox. That was Intel based and it did very well. My only problem with Nintendo is that their games seem to be designed for kids...Hence Zelda and Super Smash Brothers, and even Mario. It seems that Nintendo's main market is for the "younger" demographic. Playstation seems to be towards sports. They certainly have the most sprots related games released correct me if I am wrong. Microsoft launched lots of mixed games. I am not advocating one or the other I am just saying how it is.

Related to Nintendo's Revolution: Wii - What Do You Think?

1. What is Nintendo's Revolution: Wii?

Nintendo's Revolution: Wii is a home video game console released by Nintendo in 2006. It is the successor to the Nintendo GameCube and the predecessor to the Wii U. The Wii features a wireless motion-sensing controller, known as the Wii Remote, which allows players to interact with the games through physical gestures and movements.

2. How does the Wii's motion-sensing controller work?

The Wii Remote uses a combination of accelerometers and infrared sensors to detect motion and position in 3D space. This allows players to physically swing, tilt, and point the controller to interact with the games in a more immersive way.

3. What sets the Wii apart from other gaming consoles?

The Wii's unique motion-sensing controller and focus on more casual, family-friendly games set it apart from other gaming consoles of its time. It also introduced the concept of "Wii Sports", a collection of sports-themed mini-games that were included with the console and became a huge hit with players of all ages.

4. What is the reception of the Wii among gamers and critics?

The Wii was initially met with skepticism and criticism from hardcore gamers due to its emphasis on motion controls and lack of high-definition graphics. However, it became a commercial success, selling over 100 million units worldwide, and was praised for its innovative gameplay and appeal to a wider audience.

5. Was the Wii a successful console for Nintendo?

Yes, the Wii was a highly successful console for Nintendo. It outsold its competitors, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and introduced many people to gaming who had not previously been interested. It also spawned many popular games and franchises, such as Wii Fit and Just Dance.