Asteroids Nostalgia: Reliving My 1980 Arcade Trophy Win

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asteroids
In summary, the 13 year old protagonist finds an old cup from a 1980 arcade game contest and shares the story and photo with his retro-computer loving, non-PF friends.
DiracPool
So I'm doing some spring cleaning in late June, and low and behold, I find an old relic out of a storage area I was cleaning out that I had to share with y'all.

It was 1980, Ventura, California. I was 13 years old and the hormones were raging and my passion for all things technology was raging too. When I was living in Santa Barbara in the mid 70's, I remember my dad dropping me off at the "arcade" in Isla vista while he went and ran some errands with, get this, one dollar. That was four quarters. So I was supposed to make 4 quarters last two or three hours. I guess it may have worked because I became the pinball wizard at that local arcade. And back in the mid-70's, that's about all they had, pinball machines. I learned to win new games so I could stay entertained until dad picked me up in his dilapidated '65 VW Beatle.

Fast forward to 1979, I'm living with mom in Ventura, CA and stumble upon this complex of entertainment centers next to the freeway. It was a trilogy of fun for a 13 year old. There were three establishments:

1) Skating Plus--This was a roller rink that was every much the Studio 54 of Ventura at the time in the late 70's.

2) Buena lanes--This was a bowling alley in the same parking lot as Skating Plus and featured the old farts of the 60's but where we kids ransacked on a regular basis for reasons I don't remember.

3) Golf-n-stuff--This was a miniature golf course cause-celebre because it was really cool and had a great view of the freeway.

So back when I was in the 7th grade, I used to dress up full-on polyester suit, I looked like Shaft from the TV show. Brown polyester pants and a gigolo shirt. I thought I was real cool. What we used to do back then was talk up the middle school skater girls and try to trick them into taking a walk out to golf-n-stuff so we could make out with them on the golf course. Fortunately, back then, there were a lot of willing victims :oldtongue:

Anyway, back to the main story, Skating Plus was the first to get Space Invaders I think in 1979. This was a huge deal. Everywhere else only had pinball machines. I loved Space Invaders and quickly became proficient in it, but it wasn't long afterwards that "Asteroids" came out and it was clear that this was a revolutionary jump from from Space Invaders and it was basically the second major video game released. Wow.

In any case, I quickly became proficient in Asteroids also and won a contest at the gaming center at Golf-n-Stuff in 1980. Long time ago but it was a big deal at the time because Asteroids was an extremely popular arcade game at the time and there were about 40-50 contestants, from all age ranges across the county.

Guess what? I won. They gave me this trophy and filled it up with tokens. The cup looks small but it actually held about 100 tokens, which was significant back in the day when your a 13 year old gamer and don't have any money. Also, back then, there wasn't any of this you got to put in 2 or 4 tokens to play a game. It was one token, one game.

So back to the nostalgia, I actually found that trophy cup in storage and thought I'd post it for any gaming historians that might get a kick out of it. I put a strip of black tape over my name cause I like my anonymity :redface:

If you really wanted to identify me, I guess you could call up golf-n-stuff and asked who won, though...

20160625_134058_zps4j7ex6xy.jpg

Attachments

• 20160625_134058.jpg
    20160625_134058.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 423
Likes collinsmark, Bandersnatch, Pepper Mint and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you care if I share the photo and the story with my retro-computer loving, non-PF friends? I am sure they will be delighted.

Borek said:
Do you care if I share the photo and the story with my retro-computer loving, non-PF friends? I am sure they will be delighted.

Go for it!

Likes Pepper Mint

What is "Asteroids Nostalgia: Reliving My 1980 Arcade Trophy Win"?

"Asteroids Nostalgia: Reliving My 1980 Arcade Trophy Win" is a personal account written by a scientist about their experience winning an arcade trophy for the game Asteroids in 1980. It explores the nostalgia and memories associated with this achievement and reflects on the impact of the game in popular culture.

What inspired you to write about this experience?

As a scientist, I am always interested in exploring the intersection of science and popular culture. My personal experience winning an arcade trophy for Asteroids in 1980 sparked my interest in revisiting this nostalgic memory and examining the impact of the game on society.

Why is Asteroids considered a classic arcade game?

Asteroids, released in 1979 by Atari, is considered a classic arcade game due to its simple yet addictive gameplay, iconic vector graphics, and pioneering use of physics in a video game. It was also one of the first games to have a high score board, encouraging competition among players.

What impact did Asteroids have on the gaming industry?

Asteroids revolutionized the gaming industry by popularizing the use of vector graphics and introducing innovative gameplay mechanics. It also helped establish the video game arcade culture and paved the way for other popular arcade games like Space Invaders and Pac-Man.

Why do you think people still feel nostalgia for arcade games like Asteroids?

Arcade games like Asteroids hold a special place in people's hearts because they represent a simpler time in their lives. The games were challenging yet fun, and the social aspect of playing with friends or competing for high scores added to the overall experience. The nostalgia for these games also stems from their role in shaping the early days of video game culture.

Back