New to physics, what should I learn?

• Thread starter jstretto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who is starting physics halfway through the year and is wondering what topics they should focus on. They mention a course on "Amusement Park Physics" and ask for advice on whether to learn Newton's laws or calculus. One of their friends thinks they don't need to know much from previous terms but the student is unsure. They ask for help and mention that they have basic algebra skills and have learned about construction and equipment maintenance.
jstretto
Hey everyone :), this doesn't really fit in any section so I will just put it here.

I am swapping some subjects around and as a result I am starting physics halfway through the year, while my class mates all started in the beginning. However I am not starting from the beginning, I will be doing the same work as them.

In the following term, we will undergo a course called "Amusement Park Physics". They have already undergone two topics in the previous two terms, "The Physics of Music" and "Time to hit the road (focused on cars, their safety, etc).

One of my friends has told me we really don't need much from the previous terms, but I kind of think he is setting me up to fail.

So anyway. What do you think I should learn?

Newtons laws? Or error orrr? Orrr do you need more information to tell, just ask and I will find whatever i CAN. Anyway, any help will be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jstretto said:
Hey everyone :), this doesn't really fit in any section so I will just put it here.
Actually, yes it does. "Academic guidance"

I am swapping some subjects around and as a result I am starting physics halfway through the year, while my class mates all started in the beginning. However I am not starting from the beginning, I will be doing the same work as them.

In the following term, we will undergo a course called "Amusement Park Physics". They have already undergone two topics in the previous two terms, "The Physics of Music" and "Time to hit the road (focused on cars, their safety, etc).

One of my friends has told me we really don't need much from the previous terms, but I kind of think he is setting me up to fail.

So anyway. What do you think I should learn?

Newtons laws? Or error orrr? Orrr do you need more information to tell, just ask and I will find whatever i CAN.Anyway, any help will be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks
How much do these course use math?

The Physics you need to learn first is called Calculus.

Likes BvU
jstretto said:
do you need more information to tell, just ask
what have you got in your toolkit already that may come in useful ?
And yes, Newton is extremely useful

I would ask the teacher who taught those two classes. If you don't want to do that then ask the teacher you will have what you should study before the class starts.

First learn construction and equipment maintenance and basic algebra.

from title,
New to physics, what should I learn?
(NOT kidding.)

Related to New to physics, what should I learn?

1. What is the best way to get started in learning physics?

The best way to get started in learning physics is to first have a good understanding of mathematics, particularly algebra, geometry, and calculus. These are the foundations of physics and will greatly aid in understanding the concepts and equations that will be encountered. It is also helpful to read introductory books or watch videos on the basics of physics to gain a general understanding before diving into more complex topics.

2. What topics should I focus on learning first?

It is important to have a solid understanding of mechanics, which is the study of motion and forces, as it serves as the basis for many other branches of physics. Other important topics to focus on include thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. These are fundamental areas of physics that are applicable to many real-world situations.

3. How much time should I dedicate to learning physics?

The amount of time needed to learn physics varies for each individual, but it is important to dedicate a consistent amount of time every week to study and practice. This could range from a few hours to several hours depending on the complexity of the material and the individual's learning style. It is also recommended to regularly review and practice previously learned concepts to reinforce understanding.

4. Are there any online resources or courses that can help with learning physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available to help with learning physics. Some popular options include online lectures and tutorials, interactive simulations, and practice problems. It is important to use reputable and reliable sources for accurate information and to supplement with textbooks and other materials as needed.

5. What are some common misconceptions about learning physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for those who are naturally good at math. While a strong foundation in mathematics is important, anyone can learn and understand physics with dedication and practice. Another misconception is that physics is only relevant in academic or research settings. In reality, the principles of physics are applicable to a wide range of everyday situations and can enhance one's understanding of the world around them.