Start Learning Physics: Beginner's Guide to Quantum Physics

• Thread starter Quantum Panda
  • Start date
In summary: Most graduate programs in physics require a graduate degree in physics, although there are some special programs that allow a graduate degree in other fields with a physics specialty.In summary, if you want to study Quantum Physics, you should start by getting some formal education in mathematics and physics. You can focus on either theory or applied physics. Once you have a solid foundation, you can then move onto QM.
Quantum Panda
Summary: Wish to learn Physics in a bid to learn and understand more about Quantum Physics.

Hi! I have a background in college Mathematics. I wish to learn Physics with a goal of reaching high-level Quantum Physics understanding. It'll probably take a few years or so. I was hoping anyone could tell me where I should begin, please? Is it as easy as grabbing a high school physics textbook and start from there?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Have fun and stay curious!

Likes vanhees71
Quantum Panda said:
Summary: Wish to learn Physics in a bid to learn and understand more about Quantum Physics.

Hi! I have a background in college Mathematics. I wish to learn Physics with a goal of reaching high-level Quantum Physics understanding. It'll probably take a few years or so. I was hoping anyone could tell me where I should begin, please? Is it as easy as grabbing a high school physics textbook and start from there?

Thank you.
First, do you want to concentrate on theory? If not, then you need some formal physics educational process to get access to a lab.

Depending on your current level of mathematics you have a couple of options. You could prepare the ground with some university-level classical mechanics and then go straight to QM and see what you make of it. Jumping straight into QM might be too much. There are people who post on here who have done that, but IMO they seem to get confused by just about everything! You are better getting some experience and grounding in physics and applied mathematics generally before tackling QM.

Or, you could spend more time on covering a wider physics syllabus. Especially EM, Relativity, Cosmology, Thermodynamics etc.

There are recommendations for lots of introductory QM textbooks on here. For classical mechanics, I like Kleppner and Kolenkow, which has a strong, algebraic approach. The "plug and chug" approach is not going to get you very far when you hit QM.

Likes vanhees71
Quantum Panda said:
I have a background in college Mathematics.
Can you be more specific? Have you taken calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra?

Quantum Panda said:
I wish to learn Physics with a goal of reaching high-level Quantum Physics understanding. It'll probably take a few years or so. I was hoping anyone could tell me where I should begin, please? Is it as easy as grabbing a high school physics textbook and start from there?
If you haven't taken any physics, I'd start with a calculus-based intro physics textbook.

Likes malawi_glenn
Quantum Panda said:
goal of reaching high-level Quantum Physics understanding.
"Quantum Physics" is a vague term that potentially encompasses a huge range of physics, both theoretical and experimental. It would help if you can tell us about some specific topics that you've heard or read about, that have piqued your interest, and want to study deeply.

In the US, people usually start serious formal study of physics at the beginning of undergraduate or late in secondary school ("high school") using a textbook such as Halliday, Resnick and Walker's Fundamentals of Physics. There are other similar books; this is simply one of the commonly-used ones.

The first course is usually two semesters focusing on classical mechanics and electromagnetism. At some schools, there is a third semester that focuses on "modern physics" with an introduction to relativity, quantum mechanics and their applications. At other schools, there is a separate "introductory modern physics" course.

The Halliday/Resnick/Walker book comes in two versions, the "normal" version for a two-semester course focusing on classical physics, and an "extended" version for a three-semester course that includes modern physics. There are also some "intro modern physics" books for a separate course. I used Beiser's Concepts of Modern Physics for many years (late 1980s until early 2000s), but it appears to be out of print, or at least hasn't been updated recently.

These courses assume a basic knowledge of single-variable calculus (derivatives and integrals), but you don't need to complete a full sequence of calculus courses in advance. At many schools, the first two semesters of physics are designed so that students can take the first two semesters of calculus alongside them.

After the introductory course(s), undergraduate students take "upper division" courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, etc. These require a full calculus sequence (single- and multi-variable calculus), plus ordinary differential equations and some linear algebra.

Likes vela and CalcNerd

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact with each other and how they can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics has many practical applications, such as in electronics, computing, and medicine. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works at a microscopic level.

3. Is quantum physics difficult to learn?

Quantum physics can be challenging to understand because it goes against our everyday experiences and intuition. However, with patience, practice, and a strong foundation in mathematics, it is possible to grasp the basic concepts and principles.

4. What are some key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include superposition, entanglement, uncertainty principle, wave-particle duality, and quantum tunneling. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How can I start learning quantum physics?

To start learning quantum physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of classical physics and mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. There are also many online resources, books, and courses available to help beginners learn the basics of quantum physics.