I want to learn particle physics

In summary: It would be helpful if you would discuss why you are highly motivated to learn particle physics. Since particle physics is a special field within physics, you would first need to learn some physics.I remember a similar motivation from when I was in high school. I'd heard the (now obviously wrong) pop-sci concept back then about how atoms could be like little solar systems with electrons orbiting around sun nuclei, and how the particles that made up the electrons and nuclei could be even smaller solar systems, with turtles all the way down... That motivated me to do some reading about the elementary particles known at that time (mid-70's), which was a real eye-opener. No more turtles... :wink
Massigamer
How did you find PF?: Google Search

I am in 8th grade and 10 hours a day free time and i am highly motivated to learn some particle physics. What should i start with?

Likes DeBangis21 and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Massigamer ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ## !​

Hard to say in this early stage ( I googled around 14 years for eight grade -- PF and PP are very international :smile:). Math and physics come to mind as study areas..
What does your teacher come up with when asked this ?

You could start with googling around (e.g. at CERN).

Note that HEP physicists can be theoriticians as well as experimentalists. What's your preference ?

##\ ##

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
Massigamer said:
i am highly motivated to learn some particle physics. What should i start with?
You can start with this introductory article about the Standard Model and Particle Physics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_physics

And this article that will show you the basics of Particle Accelerators (one of the fundamental tools for studying Particle Physics):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_accelerator

:smile:

1670255342644.png

Likes vanhees71 and Massigamer
BvU said:
Hello @Massigamer ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ## !​

Hard to say in this early stage ( I googled around 14 years for eight grade -- PF and PP are very international :smile:). Math and physics come to mind as study areas..
What does your teacher come up with when asked this ?

You could start with googling around (e.g. at CERN).

Note that HEP physicists can be theoriticians as well as experimentalists. What's your preference ?

##\ ##
Theoritician😀

• Love
Likes vanhees71
Likes vanhees71
Massigamer said:
I am in 8th grade and 10 hours a day free time and i am highly motivated to learn some particle physics. What should i start with?
It would be helpful if you would discuss why you are highly motivated to learn particle physics. Since particle physics is a special field within physics, you would first need to learn some physics.

Likes gwnorth and vanhees71
CrysPhys said:
It would be helpful if you would discuss why you are highly motivated to learn particle physics. Since particle physics is a special field within physics, you would first need to learn some physics.
I remember a similar motivation from when I was in high school. I'd heard the (now obviously wrong) pop-sci concept back then about how atoms could be like little solar systems with electrons orbiting around sun nuclei, and how the particles that made up the electrons and nuclei could be even smaller solar systems, with turtles all the way down... That motivated me to do some reading about the elementary particles known at that time (mid-70's), which was a real eye-opener. No more turtles... :wink:

Likes vanhees71 and BvU
Likes vanhees71, BvU, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It aims to understand the smallest building blocks of matter and how they interact with each other.

2. Why is particle physics important?

Particle physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe. It also has practical applications in areas such as medicine, technology, and energy production.

3. What are some key concepts in particle physics?

Some key concepts in particle physics include the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and forces, and quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of particles on a subatomic level. Other important concepts include symmetry, conservation laws, and particle interactions.

4. What are some tools and techniques used in particle physics research?

Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, are essential tools in particle physics research. Other techniques include particle detectors, which measure the properties of particles, and computer simulations, which help us understand and analyze complex data.

5. How can I learn more about particle physics?

There are many resources available for learning about particle physics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. You can also attend lectures or seminars at universities or research institutions. It's important to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics before diving into particle physics.