New Lenses for My Glasses - Blind as a Bat

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the conversation is about various individuals discussing their vision prescriptions and experiences with glasses and contact lenses. One person got new lenses for their glasses and shares their prescription. Others share their own prescriptions and experiences with vision training and not wearing glasses. The conversation also touches on the topic of accommodation and how it affects vision for those with hyperopia and myopia.
Cyrus
I got new lenses today for my glasses.

It says:

Sphere:
OD -3.75
OS -3.75

I was walking around the mall for an hour while they made my lenses blind as a bat. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Holy crap! With that prescription, you should be as blind as a bat without them. At least you don't have astigmatism (expressed as a correction and an axis along which the correction must be applied). That would make it tough for you to look through a telescope without glasses, and the eye-relief of some ocular designs would be prohibitive.

Geeze! You ever hear of self-control :-p

I have -4 in left eye, -3.75 in right eye.

I don't wear glasses nor contacts... I've managed so far. I haven't worn anything in two years...

moose said:
I haven't worn anything in two years...

Put some clothes on freak... :biggrin:

moose said:

I don't wear glasses nor contacts... I've managed so far. I haven't worn anything in two years...

No way, I have that (well, not the left eye). If I take my glasses off I cannot see anything, and neither will you.

It's weird because I can barely see on my right eye, and left seems to be great. When I cover the left one, everything is just blurred. I can't recognize any letters nor people after look. I once paid a visit at oculist's, and he asked me to read the letters from a wall, I could see every letter in every row through left eye however I could see absolutely no letters through my right eye. He didn't give me any glasses, because as he said, I would get dizzy. So, I don' t wear glasses, but I wanted to,

Maybe you can wear a contact in one eye. Ask him.

moose said:

Do you find yourself tipping your chin up all the time or do you squint alot?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I was walking around the mall for an hour while they made my lenses blind as a bat. :bugeye:
Wow, that's a neat trick. I didn't know you could make lenses go blind. Wouldn't it be better if they made you lenses that were able to see? :biggrin:

mattmns said:
Geeze! You ever hear of self-control :-p
:smile: Yep, apparently your mom was right that it would make you go blind! :smile:

I take it that you guys are offering a helping hand then?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I take it that you guys are offering a helping hand then?
Well, if it's the guys you want to offer a hand, okay, I'll stay out of the way. :biggrin:

Oh god, I better run and hide from Arildno now...:rolleyes:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Oh god, I better run and hide from Arildno now...:rolleyes:
Oh, I'm sure he'd be willing to lend a hand if you need it. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Wow, that's a neat trick. I didn't know you could make lenses go blind. Wouldn't it be better if they made you lenses that were able to see? :biggrin:

Thats a 12 out of 10 MoonB :smile: my side hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
No way, I have that (well, not the left eye). If I take my glasses off I cannot see anything, and neither will you.

I currently (checked two years ago... so its a bit stretching the term...) got 12 in one eye, and 11.5 in the second one if i recall correctly... and i stopped wearing glasses when i was about 12 years old - at that time the numbers were 6 and 5.5 (and they made my eyes look sooo big :biggrin: )

I was able to train my eyes to see with no glasses, i can read small letters with no effort (unless I am tired - then i can't read small letters, especially not in dim light).

My father has 3 for each eye, and i can see way better then he does - even when he has his glasses on.
I am able to put any convex lense (plus sign) and see well with it too as long as it's focal length isn't smaller then 1/12.

Last edited:
fargoth said:
I currently (checked two years ago... so its a bit stretching the term...) got 12 in one eye, and 11.5 in the second one if i recall correctly... and i stopped wearing glasses when i was about 12 years old - at that time the numbers were 6 and 5.5 (and they made my eyes look sooo big :biggrin: )

I was able to train my eyes to see with no glasses, i can read small letters with no effort (unless I am tired - then i can't read small letters, especially not in dim light).

My father has 3 for each eye, and i can see way better then he does - even when he has his glasses on.
I am able to put any convex lens (plus sign) and see well with it too as long as it's focal length isn't smaller then 1/12.
Hyperopic people(those who require + lenses) are able to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/accom.html" to see clearly. Many hyperopes can get out of glasses in their early teens but go back into them in their 40's when the ability to accommodate naturally declines. At that time you may find it difficult to see at distance and near without correction.
If myopic people(those who require - lenses) accommodate while looking at a distance target it will only make things more blurry. When myopes hit the 40's they begin to notice they can read better without glasses because their eyes are naturally in focus without accommodation for near.

fargoth said:

I am able to put any convex lense (plus sign) and see well with it too as long as it's focal length isn't smaller then 1/12.

What do you mean 'train' your eyes. If I take my glasses off it's all a blurr.

cyrusabdollahi said:
What do you mean 'train' your eyes. If I take my glasses off it's all a blurr.
He is "farsighted" you are "nearsighted" he can accommodate to clear his vision. You could "train" your eyes until the cows come home and never get in focus at distance. My previous post explains in more detail.

as larkspur said, i can make the lense in my eye have a smaller focal length, (the problem i got is that when my eye is relaxed it's focal length is too large, so it focuses the light behind where it's supposed to.

your problem is that the lense in your eye has a too small focal length.

with your muscle you can only squize the lense - making it with even smaller focal length, so it won't work for you...

but as time goes on, the lense naturally has a larger focal length, and it becoms more rigid (because of that rigidness my father can't do it, and must find the right spot in which to hold the paper he reads while he's wearing his glass), so my solution to the problem is only temporary.

Last edited:
larkspur said:
He is "farsighted" you are "nearsighted" he can accommodate to clear his vision. You could "train" your eyes until the cows come home and never get in focus at distance. My previous post explains in more detail.

I should get laser vision correction, but I think your eyes need to be consistent for that. My eyes get worse every 2 years.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I should get laser vision correction, but I think your eyes need to be consistent for that. My eyes get worse every 2 years.
Yes, you could get Lasik at some point. When you stop growing your eyes should stop changing. Most people's refractions don't change much after 22 years of age. If you are still changing by large amounts after that then you need to be sure to have a cycloplegic refraction to make sure you are wearing the correct Rx in the first place. If you go to an optometrist (O.D.) rather than an ophthalmologist(M.D.) you will have to request this as it is not routine for optometrists to do this.

My optometrist said my eyesight is bad because I am tall and that I read a lot. The last time I went to the eye doctor (O.D) was 3 years ago. My eyes were -3.25,-3.25 then. So I went up half a unit in 3 years. Thats not too good, is it?

cyrusabdollahi said:
My optometrist said my eyesight is bad because I am tall and that I read a lot. The last time I went to the eye doctor (O.D) was 3 years ago. My eyes were -3.25,-3.25 then. So I went up half a unit in 3 years. Thats not too good, is it?
No that is not a very big change.
Edit..What was your vision with your old rx? a half a diopter should blur a line or two on the eye chart.

Last edited:

Now its -3.75

But overall, -3 is not good is it; hell, now I am pushing -4 (almost).

cyrusabdollahi said:

Now its -3.75

But overall, -3 is not good is it; hell, now I am pushing -4 (almost).
Actually, -3.00 is just average. If you were higher than -5.00 then you could be at risk for retinal detachment and should have dilated fundus exam every year.

That does not sound good. What happens when that occurs, do you go blind?

cyrusabdollahi said:
That does not sound good. What happens when that occurs, do you go blind?
Most of the time it can be repaired. Early detection is the key to successful treatment. The symptoms are usaually seeing flashes of light or a shower of floaters( a lot of little black dots). Some people see a curtain or veil across their vision. Here is a quote from http://www.theretinasource.com/conditions/retinal_detachment.htm"

Pneumatic retinopexy is one type of procedure to reattach the retina. After numbing the eye with a local anesthesia, the surgeon injects a small gas bubble into the vitreous cavity. The bubble presses against the retina, flattening it against the back wall of the eye. Since the gas rises, this treatment is most effective for detachments located in the upper portion of the eye. In order to manipulate the bubble into the ideal location, the surgeon may ask the patient to keep his or her head in a specific position.

The gas bubble slowly absorbs over the next 1-2 weeks. At that time, an additional procedure is usually performed to “tack down” the retina. This can be done either with cryotherapy, a procedure that uses nitrous oxide to freeze the retina, sealing it in place, or with laser. Local anesthesia is used for both procedures.

Some types of retinal detachments, because of their location or size, are best treated with a procedure called a scleral buckle. With this technique, a tiny sponge or band made of silicone is attached to the outside of the eye, pressing inward and holding the retina in position. After removing the vitreous gel from the eye with a procedure called a vitrectomy, the surgeon usually seals a few areas of the retina into position with laser or cryotherapy. The scleral buckle is not visible and remains permanently attached to the eye. This technique of reattaching the retina may elongate the eye, causing nearsightedness.

In rare cases where other types of retinal detachment surgeries are either inappropriate or unsuccessful, silicone oil may be used to reattach the retina. The vitreous gel is removed and replaced with silicone oil, which presses the retina into place. While the oil is inside the eye, the vision is extremely poor. After the retina has resealed itself against the back of the eye, a second procedure may be performed to remove the oil.

larkspur said:
When myopes hit the 40's they begin to notice they can read better without glasses because their eyes are naturally in focus without accommodation for near.
Actually, the opposite is true, people with myopia (nearsightedness) can read up close without glasses, however as you age, the ability to focus decreases and people who could once read things up close now find they need corrective lenses to read. Bless Benjamin Franklin for the bifocal lense. :smile:

Evo said:
Actually, the opposite is true, people with myopia (nearsightedness) can read up close without glasses, however as you age, the ability to focus decreases and people who could once read things up close now find they need corrective lenses to read. Bless Benjamin Franklin for the bifocal lense. :smile:
Nope, nearsighted people are naturally in focus without glasses at near hence the term "nearsighted". Depending on the amount of myopia, as a myopic person ages they will either need bifocals to read with their glasses on or they will need to take the glasses off to read. A person with a -3.00 Rx is naturally in focus(without glasses) at 1/3 meter in front of the eye. While they are wearing their glasses they are essentially emmetropic and if they are also presbyopic they will need bifocals to read. When they take their glasses off they have the same result as if they had placed a +3.00 lens(reading glasses) in front of the their own glasses.

larkspur said:
Nope, nearsighted people are naturally in focus without glasses at near hence the term "nearsighted".
Yes, I'm nearsighted. However, as you age, a nearsighted person loses the ability to read up close.

Depending on the amount of myopia, as a myopic person ages they will either need bifocals to read with their glasses on or they will need to take the glasses off to read.
Exactly, they lose their ability to read up close. :smile: They become presbyopic.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Yes, I'm nearsighted. However, as you age, a nearsighted person loses the ability to read up close.

Exactly, they lose their ability to read up close. :smile: They become presbyopic.
Depends on how much nearsightedness you have. If you only have -1.00 diopter then your natural point of focus would be at one meter and anything closer to you would require accommodation to focus. If you have lost all your accommodative abilities(completely presbyopic) then you would require reading glasses or hold the object 1 meter away from you to see it. This is further than most peoples arms can reach. If you have -2.00 diopters of myopia then it will need to be at 1/2m, -3.00 at 1/3 m etc. The higher the amount of myopia the closer you can hold the object to view it without accommodation or glasses.

Relax, I'm referring to what you said
larkspur said:
When myopes hit the 40's they begin to notice they can read better without glasses because their eyes are naturally in focus without accommodation for near.
I've never seen a case where this was true, although it might be possible. Do you know of any cases where a person's eyesight improved with age? You yourself agreed that people with myopia need corrective lenses for near vision as they get older.

Not only do I find that I can no longer see clearly at close range, but I now need more light in order to see things clearly at close range. Here we go, wikipedia, the quick answer. :smile:

"Many people with myopia are able to read comfortably without eyeglasses. Myopes considering refractive surgery are advised that this may be an advantage after the age of 40 when the eyes become presbyopic and lose their ability to accommodate or change focus.

"Presbyopia is not a disease as such, but a condition that affects everyone at a certain age. The first symptoms are usually noticed between the ages of 40-50, though in fact accommodation reduces throughout life, from about 20 dioptres (ability to focus at 50 mm away) in a young person to 10 dioptres at 25 and levelling off at 0.5 to 1 dioptre at age 60 (ability to focus down to 1 -2 metres only). For those with good distance vision, it may start with difficulty reading fine print, particularly if the lighting is poor, or with eyestrain when reading for long periods."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

Evo said:
Relax, I'm referring to what you said I've never seen a case where this was true, although it might be possible. Do you know of any cases where a person's eyesight improved with age? You yourself agreed that people with myopia need corrective lenses for near vision as they get older.
In a child with ,small to moderate amounts of hyperopia, as the eye grows larger the refractive error can go away completely. However, with myopia the opposite occurs. As the eye grows larger so does the refractive error. Later in life, when cataracts develop, the refractive error can change quite a bit but mostly this change is for the worse. I personally have never seen a fully grown adult get out of glasses without surgical intervention.

Not only do I find that I can no longer see clearly at close range, but I now need more light in order to see things clearly at close range.
Do you have any astigmatism?