Today is National Beer Day in the US

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, April 7th is National Beer Day in the US, commemorating the day the Cullen-Harrison Act was put into effect. This act redefined the amount of alcohol that legally defined a drink as intoxicating, effectively bypassing the 18th amendment which had instituted Prohibition. Upon signing the act, President Roosevelt famously stated, "I think this would be a good time for a beer." Interestingly, the day before (April 6th) is known as New Beers Eve, which also happens to be the birthday of the speaker. They received a beer for their birthday, which they plan on drinking later today. This conversation also brings up the fact that the speaker's friend's dad, who is from the
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just found out that today (April 7) is National Beer Day in the US.

It marks the day the Cullen-Harrison act had effect. This was before Prohibition (amendment 18) was repealed. Instead the Cullen-Harrison act (in traditional American tradition) worked around the amendment by redefining the amount of alcohol that legally defineds a drink as intoxicating.

Upon signing the legislation, Roosevelt made his famous remark, "I think this would be a good time for a beer."

Interestingly, the day before (April 6) is known as New Beers Eve.
Its also my birthday.
I got a beer for my birthday which I will be drinking later today. :smile:

Now I need a baseball game.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, atyy, diogenesNY and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
1586308254230.png

Likes BillTre
My friends dad is from the US. Claimed he could drink 30+ beers in a full day of drinking. When he first came to Canada he blacked out before 15. Couldn't handle the 1% difference.

Also, makes me think of John Candy in Canadian Bacon.

1586310468834.png

• Haha
Likes BillTre

What is National Beer Day in the US?

National Beer Day in the US is a holiday that celebrates the repeal of Prohibition in the United States on April 7, 1933. It is a day to commemorate the freedom to partake in the brewing and consumption of beer.

When is National Beer Day celebrated?

National Beer Day is celebrated on April 7th every year in the United States.

Why is National Beer Day important?

National Beer Day is important because it marks a significant moment in the history of the United States. The repeal of Prohibition allowed for the return of the beer industry and the freedom to enjoy a cold beer without fear of legal consequences.

How is National Beer Day celebrated?

National Beer Day is typically celebrated by enjoying a beer with friends and family, attending beer festivals or tastings, or visiting local breweries. Some people also use this day to learn about the history of beer and its cultural significance.

Are there any traditions associated with National Beer Day?

There are no specific traditions associated with National Beer Day, but some people may choose to participate in activities such as beer tastings, pub crawls, or hosting beer-themed parties. It is also common for people to share their favorite beers on social media using the hashtag #NationalBeerDay.