Need some help selecting a research topic

In summary, there are various research topics that you could explore for your first research project in Aerospace Engineering, including hybrid engines for rockets, thrust vectoring, use of composite materials, structural loads, heat transfer systems, navigation and guidance, control systems, propulsion technologies, and atmospheric conditions. With your background in math, engineering, and physics, you have a strong foundation to delve into these topics and make valuable contributions to the field.
Hellsing834
Hey guys, I am current a junior studying Aerospace Engineering focusing on Astronautics. I was wondering if you guys could help me suggest a few research topics. This will be my first research project and I am doing this under the guidance of a professor however he has asked me to select a topic.

I was considering to focus on these two topics:

Hybrid Engines for Rockets
Thrust vectoring

My professor requires a concrete research topic instead of a general one, could you please recommend ANY topics regarding rockets wether they are from the list above or not.

I have currently finished the following courses

Math (Calc 1,2,3 and Differential Equations)
Engineering ( Aerodynamics I, Fluid Mechanics, Solids, Statics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics)
Physics ( Kinematics, Thermodynamics, optics, electricity and magnetism)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
!Here are a few research topics that you could consider for your research project:1. Design and Development of Hybrid Rockets for Propulsion Systems.2. Investigation of Thrust Vectoring Techniques for Rocket Maneuvering.3. Research on the Use of Composite Materials in Rocket Construction and Launch Systems.4. Simulation and Modeling of Solid Propellant Combustion in Rockets.5. Analysis of Structural Loads Acting on Rockets During Launch and Re-Entry.6. Research on the Effectiveness of Heat Transfer Systems in Rockets.7. Study of Navigation and Guidance Systems for Rockets.8. Investigation of Advanced Control Systems for Rockets.9. Research on Novel Rocket Propulsion Systems and Technologies.10. Evaluation of Propulsion Performance of Rockets Under Different Atmospheric Conditions.

Related to Need some help selecting a research topic

1. What factors should I consider when selecting a research topic?

When selecting a research topic, you should consider your interests, the purpose and goal of your research, the current knowledge and gaps in your field, available resources and time, and potential impact and significance of your research.

2. How can I narrow down my research topic?

To narrow down your research topic, you can start by brainstorming and identifying your specific interests within a broader subject area. Then, you can conduct a literature review to see what has already been studied and identify potential research gaps. Additionally, you can consult with your advisor or peers for their input and suggestions.

3. How do I ensure my research topic is feasible?

To ensure your research topic is feasible, you should consider the resources and time you have available, the scope of your research, and the potential limitations you may encounter. It is important to also consult with your advisor or peers to get their feedback and make sure your research topic is realistic and achievable.

4. Can I change my research topic during the research process?

Yes, it is common for researchers to make changes to their research topic during the research process. As you delve deeper into your research, you may discover new information or realize that your initial topic was not as feasible as you thought. As long as you communicate with your advisor and stay within the scope of your research, it is okay to make changes to your topic.

5. How do I know if my research topic is original?

To determine if your research topic is original, you can conduct a literature review to see what has already been studied in your field. If you find that your topic has already been extensively researched, you may need to refine or modify your topic to make it more unique. It is also helpful to discuss your topic with your advisor or peers to get their perspectives on its originality.