Multiple integration + Centroid Help.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume bounded by a sphere with a radius of rt. 6 and a paraboloid with the equation z = x^2 + y^2. The speaker is having trouble integrating their solution and asks for help. Another person suggests integrating with z first and using Fubini to evaluate the integral, and then continuing with r and theta. The speaker then asks for further help on the centroid part.
numberonenacho

Homework Statement

Find the volume bounded by sphere rho = rt. 6 and the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2
and locate the centroid of this region

The attempt at a solution

http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/latex2/img/4deb41286077aabd94b30802f0e6a68a-1.gif

So Thats the integral that I made for this problem, but I'm having trouble integrating it. the rdr throws it off.

Please Help~! I am having some trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You first integrate with z, that gives you rz in the inside. Using Fubini you get (meaning evaluate the integral) [tex]r\sqrt{6-r^2} - r(r^2)[/tex] and now continue with r and theta.

So when i evaluate it, I get -12pi rt6 as the answer.
Am I doing it wrong? I feel like I am not doing right. If you could, could I see how someone would do a problem like this? Evaluating integrals is a little confusing for me.

And then I need lots of help on the centroid part as well. Thanks~

Why don't you show us what you did and we can comment on it.

Related to Multiple integration + Centroid Help.

1. What is multiple integration?

Multiple integration is a mathematical concept used to find the area, volume, or other quantities of a multi-dimensional shape or region. It involves integrating a function with respect to multiple variables.

2. What is the purpose of finding the centroid in multiple integration?

The centroid is the center of mass or balance point of a shape. In multiple integration, finding the centroid can help determine the distribution of mass or weight within a multi-dimensional object.

3. How is multiple integration used in real life?

Multiple integration has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determine the center of gravity of structures, and solve optimization problems.

4. What are the different methods for solving multiple integrals?

The three main methods for solving multiple integrals are rectangular, polar, and cylindrical coordinates. These methods involve changing the variables and limits of integration to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using multiple integration?

Multiple integration can become complex and time-consuming, especially when dealing with higher dimensions. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find an exact solution, and approximations may have to be used. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts.