Find centroid of region - triple integrals, please

In summary, the problem involves finding the centroid x,y,z of a region R cut out of a larger region, bounded by a cylinder, using polar coordinates and integration. The correct method was confirmed and successfully solved the problem.
thaer_dude

Homework Statement

Find the centroid [STRIKE]x[/STRIKE],[STRIKE]y[/STRIKE],[STRIKE]z[/STRIKE] of the region R cut out of the region 0<=z<=5sqrt(x2+y2) by the cylinder x2+y2=2x.

Homework Equations

x2+y2 = r2
x= rcosθ
y= rsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Centroid [STRIKE]x[/STRIKE] being Mx/m I'm guessing

I've been working on this problem forever and I'm just not sure how to do it

I tried converting to polars and computing the following integral: [tex]
\int_{-pi/2}^{pi/2}\int_0^{2cosθ}\int_0^{5r}[/tex] r dz dr dθ to get the integral that will be in the denominator (btw if you guys see the upper bound of the 2nd integral as 2cos952 it is 2cosθ)

and then for [STRIKE]x[/STRIKE] I replaced r by r^2cosθ and for [STRIKE]y[/STRIKE] replaced r by r^2sinθ and for [STRIKE]z[/STRIKE] replaced r by z*r

I'm not getting it right, and I'm going at this the completely wrong way or are my bounds incorrect or what? Please help, thanks so much :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral and limits look ok to me. What are you getting for numbers?

Thanks for the method confirmation, I tried it again, very carefully, and it worked! :)

Related to Find centroid of region - triple integrals, please

1. What is the concept of centroid?

Centroid is a point at the geometric center of a shape or object. It is calculated by finding the average position of all the points in the shape or object.

2. How is centroid related to triple integrals?

In the context of triple integrals, centroid refers to the average position of a region in 3-dimensional space. It is calculated by dividing the triple integral of the position of each point in the region by the volume of the region.

3. What is the formula for finding the centroid of a 3D region using triple integrals?

The formula for finding the centroid of a 3D region using triple integrals is given by:
x̄ = (1/V) ∭x dV
ȳ = (1/V) ∭y dV
z̄ = (1/V) ∭z dV
Where x̄, ȳ, and z̄ represent the coordinates of the centroid and V represents the volume of the region.

4. Can you explain the process of finding the centroid of a region using triple integrals?

To find the centroid of a region using triple integrals, we first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z). Then, we set up the triple integral with the given function multiplied by each variable (x, y, and z). Finally, we solve the triple integral and divide the resulting values by the volume of the region to find the coordinates of the centroid.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the centroid of a region using triple integrals?

Some practical applications of finding the centroid of a region using triple integrals include determining the center of mass of an object, finding the average position of a distribution of particles, and calculating the moment of inertia of an object. It is also used in engineering and physics for various calculations related to 3-dimensional objects and systems.