Multiple Integral Challenge Question, I just need a hint

In summary: Just use the standard textbook formulas for change-of-variables in multiple integration. If you do not have a textbook, look on-line. (I, personally do not feel I can offer more help, without essentially doing the problem for... you?)
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

I will just post an image of the problem

JB6FEog.png

and here's the link if the above is too small: http://i.imgur.com/JB6FEog.png?1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been playing with it, but I can't figure out a good way to "grip" this problem.

I can see some things. I can see that the scalar triple product is the volume of the parallelopiped made from the three vector a, b and c. I can see that the [itex]\frac{(\alpha \beta \gamma)^2}{8}[/itex] is analogous to [itex]\int \int \int_E xyz dV = \frac{(xyz)^2}{8}[/itex] if x,y and z were the upper limits and the lower limits were all 0.

So I've thought that maybe there's a change of variable occurring, and the absolute value of the scalar triple product in the denominator comes from the Jacobian...should I keep heading in that direction? I can't think of a Transform that would be appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

I will just post an image of the problem

JB6FEog.png

and here's the link if the above is too small: http://i.imgur.com/JB6FEog.png?1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been playing with it, but I can't figure out a good way to "grip" this problem.

I can see some things. I can see that the scalar triple product is the volume of the parallelopiped made from the three vector a, b and c. I can see that the [itex]\frac{(\alpha \beta \gamma)^2}{8}[/itex] is analogous to [itex]\int \int \int_E xyz dV = \frac{(xyz)^2}{8}[/itex] if x,y and z were the upper limits and the lower limits were all 0.

So I've thought that maybe there's a change of variable occurring, and the absolute value of the scalar triple product in the denominator comes from the Jacobian...should I keep heading in that direction? I can't think of a Transform that would be appropriate.

The right-hand-side divides by zero unless the three vectors ##\vec{a}, \vec{b}, \vec{c}## are linearly independent, and when that is the case (that is, when you have linear independence) you can change variables to ## u = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{r}, \:v = \vec{b} \cdot \vec{r}, \:w = \vec{c} \cdot \vec{r}##.

Last edited:
Likes kostoglotov
Ray Vickson said:
the three vectors ##\vec{a}, \vec{b}, \vec{c}## are linearly independent.

As a side question, is linearly independent the same as not being coplanar, or is not being coplanar one consequence of linear independence?

kostoglotov said:
As a side question, is linearly independent the same as not being coplanar, or is not being coplanar one consequence of linear independence?
Any three vectors that are coplanar are linearly dependent, but you can have two vectors in the same plane being linearly independent, as long as one of them isn't a scalar multiple of the other, so the concepts aren't the same.

Likes kostoglotov
Just to add to that, for the benefit of the OP, if the three vectors are 3 dimensional then whether or not they are coplanar is equivalent to whether or not they are linearly dependent.

Ray Vickson said:
The right-hand-side divides by zero unless the three vectors ##\vec{a}, \vec{b}, \vec{c}## are linearly independent, and when that is the case (that is, when you have linear independence) you can change variables to ## u = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{r}, \:v = \vec{b} \cdot \vec{r}, \:w = \vec{c} \cdot \vec{r}##.

I need a bit of further help.

Should I be trying to get the Jacobian thusly

[tex] u = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{r} = a_1x + a_2y + a_3z[/tex]

[tex] v = \vec{b} \cdot \vec{r} = b_1x + b_2y + b_3z[/tex]

[tex] w = \vec{c} \cdot \vec{r} = c_1x + c_2y + c_3z[/tex]

then find

[tex] \left| \frac{\partial(x,y,z)}{\partial(u,v,w)} \right| [/tex]

Or is there some way that doesn't involve converting the dot product into a function of x,y,z?

Also, doing it this way, I should get [itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{a_1}, \ \frac{\partial y}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{a_2}, \frac{\partial x}{\partial w} = \frac{1}{a_3} ... \frac{\partial x}{\partial v} = \frac{1}{b_1} ... \frac{\partial z}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{c_1} [/itex], yes?

kostoglotov said:

then find

Or is there some way that doesn't involve converting the dot product into a function of x,y,z?

Also, doing it this way, I should get [itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{a_1}, \ \frac{\partial y}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{a_2}, \frac{\partial x}{\partial w} = \frac{1}{a_3} ... \frac{\partial x}{\partial v} = \frac{1}{b_1} ... \frac{\partial z}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{c_1} [/itex], yes?

Just use the standard textbook formulas for change-of-variables in multiple integration. If you do not have a textbook, look on-line. (I, personally do not feel I can offer more help, without essentially doing the problem for you.)

Likes kostoglotov
kostoglotov said:

then find

No, you don't get that. You might find it easier to compute ## \left| \frac{\partial(u,v,w)}{\partial(x,y,z)} \right| ##. What's that and what might that have to do with the problem?

Likes kostoglotov
Dick said:
No, you don't get that. You might find it easier to compute ## \left| \frac{\partial(u,v,w)}{\partial(x,y,z)} \right| ##. What's that and what might that have to do with the problem?

I'm going to say it's the multiplicative inverse of the Jacobian that I need to find.

kostoglotov said:
I'm going to say it's the multiplicative inverse of the Jacobian that I need to find.

Yes, it is that. Now what is it, and what might it have to do with the triple product?

Dick said:
Yes, it is that. Now what is it, and what might it have to do with the triple product?

It's the reciprocal of the scalar triple product. Thanks for your help.

Thank you everybody for your help! :D

Related to Multiple Integral Challenge Question, I just need a hint

1. What is the purpose of the Multiple Integral Challenge Question?

The Multiple Integral Challenge Question is designed to test your understanding and application of multiple integrals in mathematics and physics.

2. How is the Multiple Integral Challenge Question different from a regular integral?

The Multiple Integral Challenge Question involves integrating over multiple variables, whereas a regular integral involves integrating over a single variable. This makes the question more complex and challenging.

3. What kind of mathematical concepts are required to solve the Multiple Integral Challenge Question?

To solve the Multiple Integral Challenge Question, you will need to have a strong understanding of calculus, specifically integration and multiple integrals. You will also need to be familiar with manipulating equations and applying mathematical concepts to real-world problems.

4. Are there any hints or strategies for solving the Multiple Integral Challenge Question?

One helpful strategy for solving the Multiple Integral Challenge Question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also use symmetry and other mathematical properties to simplify the problem. It is also important to carefully read and interpret the question to ensure that you are approaching it correctly.

5. What is the best way to prepare for the Multiple Integral Challenge Question?

To prepare for the Multiple Integral Challenge Question, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and practice solving various integration problems, including multiple integrals. You can also research and review different techniques and strategies for solving challenging integration problems.