How can I define the integral of product spaces using characteristic functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses defining the integral of product spaces in terms of characteristic functions and how to apply this to a simple function in a product space. The problem to be solved is to prove that the integral of the product of two functions in a product space is equal to the product of the individual integrals. The hint suggests using standard limit theorems for integrals and restricting oneself to simple functions of the form f(x) = Ʃa_{i}χ_{E_{i}}(x). The conversation also mentions using the product of integrals and expressing it as a sum of rectangles. Finally, it is mentioned that the theorem has been proven for the special case of simple functions.
happysauce

Homework Statement

I just have a question about the integral of a product space. How do I define the integral of product spaces in terms of characteristic functions?

What I mean by that is, if I have a measure space, (X,M,u) and f(x) is a positive, simple, measurable function. Then ∫f du = Ʃa[itex]_{i}[/itex]u(E[itex]_{i}[/itex]). What I want to know is how can I apply this to a simple function given the product space of (X,M,u) and (Y,N,v)?

The problem I have to do is to prove that ∫f(x)g(y)d(u×v)=(∫f(x)du)(∫g(y)dv), you can't use fubini's theorem since the problem doesn't assume the measure spaces are sigma finite and the hint suggested using standard limit theorems for integrals, which made me think I probably had to use simple functions...

Physics news on Phys.org
happysauce said:
How do I define the integral of product spaces in terms of characteristic functions?

The same as any other measure space.

What I mean by that is, if I have a measure space, (X,M,u) and f(x) is a positive, simple, measurable function. Then ∫f du = Ʃa[itex]_{i}[/itex](E[itex]_{i}[/itex]). What I want to know is how can I apply this to a simple function given the product space of (X,M,u) and (Y,N,v)?

The same as any other measure space.

The problem I have to do is to prove that ∫f(x)g(y)d(u×v)=(∫f(x)du)(∫g(y)dv), you can't use fubini's theorem since the problem doesn't assume the measure spaces are sigma finite and the hint suggested using standard limit theorems for integrals, which made me think I probably had to use simple functions...

This sounds like a good strategy. But you probably want to restrict yourself to simple functions of the form [itex]f(x)=\sum a_i\chi_{E_i}(x)[/itex] where the [itex]E_i[/itex] are "rectangles" in the product space. Can you decompose the characteristic function of a rectangular region into a product of characteristic functions on the "component" spaces?

That's what I tried. I took the product of the integrals and expressed them as a product of two sums [[itex]\sum[/itex]a[itex]_{i}[/itex]u(E[itex]_{i}[/itex]) ][[itex]\sum[/itex]b[itex]_{j}[/itex]v(E[itex]_{j}[/itex])], one summed n parts the other summed m parts. Then I noticed that the product created a sum of n×m rectangles and I was able to express it in terms of one sum.

happysauce said:
That's what I tried. I took the product of the integrals and expressed them as a product of two sums [[itex]\sum[/itex]a[itex]_{i}[/itex]u(E[itex]_{i}[/itex]) ][[itex]\sum[/itex]b[itex]_{j}[/itex]v(E[itex]_{j}[/itex])], one summed n parts the other summed m parts. Then I noticed that the product created a sum of n×m rectangles and I was able to express it in terms of one sum.

OK, so you proved the theorem for the special case simple functions, where for every [itex]\chi_{E_j}[/itex] holds that [itex]E_j[/itex] is a rectangle. What did you do next?

Related to How can I define the integral of product spaces using characteristic functions?

1. What is the definition of "Integral of product spaces"?

The integral of product spaces is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under the curve of a function in multiple dimensions. It is used to solve problems that involve multiple variables and is an extension of the one-dimensional integral.

2. How is the integral of product spaces calculated?

The integral of product spaces is typically calculated using a double or triple integral, depending on the number of variables involved. This involves breaking down the multi-dimensional space into smaller "slices" and summing up the areas of these slices to find the total area under the curve.

3. What is the significance of the integral of product spaces?

The integral of product spaces is an important tool in mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to calculate the volume, mass, and other important quantities in multi-dimensional systems, which is crucial for understanding and solving real-world problems.

4. Can the integral of product spaces be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of the integral of product spaces can be extended to higher dimensions, such as four-dimensional and even infinite-dimensional spaces. This is known as an n-dimensional integral and is commonly used in advanced mathematics and physics.

5. How is the integral of product spaces related to the concept of integration?

The integral of product spaces is a generalization of the one-dimensional integration, where the function is integrated over a single variable. In the case of the integral of product spaces, the function is integrated over multiple variables, making it a more complex and powerful tool for solving mathematical problems.