Volume of Frustum Using Triple Integration

In summary, the question is about finding the volume of a frustum using triple integration in cylindrical coordinates. The person has been able to find the volume using other methods, but is having trouble with the triple integration method. They have provided the properties of the frustum and their attempts at setting up the integrals, but have made a mistake in their limits for the radius. The correct limits should be from 0 to (-R/h)z+R.
Xishem
Volume of Frustum Using Triple Integral [Solved]

Homework Statement

Edit: I've solved the issue! My limits of r were wrong. Instead of this:
[tex]V=\int_{z=0}^{\frac{h}{2}}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{R}{h}z+R}\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}r\ d\theta\ dr\ dz[/tex]It should have been this:
[tex]V=\int_{z=0}^{\frac{h}{2}}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{-R}{h}z+R}\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}r\ d\theta\ dr\ dz[/tex]

I'm trying to find the volume of a frustum using strictly a triple integration in cylindrical coordinates. I've been able to find the volume through several other methods, but whenever I try to do it using a triple integration, it fails to produce the correct result.

The semi-specific frustum I'm looking at has the following properties:

[itex]height = \frac{h}{2}[/itex]
[itex]radius_{bottom} = R[/itex]
[itex]radius_{top}=\frac{R}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]dV=r\ dr\ d\theta\ dz[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried setting up several integrations, but they have all failed. For me, the difficult part comes in setting the limits of each integral. From what I understand, the general form of the integral will look like this:

[itex]V=\int\int\int\ r\ dr\ d\theta\ dz[/itex]

And my attempt at putting in limits is...

[tex]V=\int_{z=0}^{\frac{h}{2}}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{R}{h}z+R}\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}r\ d\theta\ dr\ dz[/tex]

The limits of r are derived from the slope of one of the sides of the frustum projected onto a 2D plane.

Where the function of that line can be described as:

[itex]y=\frac{R}{h}z+R[/itex]

And the radius (r) is directly related to y in that

[itex]y=r[/itex]

I've tried doing this integration, and I don't know what my final answer is as I've gone through so many iterations of different integrations that things have been blurred. The answer I get is correct in terms of variables, but incorrect in terms of a constant factor, if I remember correctly.

Any help on the limits, or the integrand in general? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, it seems like you have made a mistake in setting up your limits for the integral. The correct limits for the radius (r) should be from 0 to (-R/h)z+R, not (R/h)z+R. This is because the radius decreases as z increases, so the upper limit should be decreasing in terms of z. Your final integral should look like this:

V=\int_{z=0}^{\frac{h}{2}}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{-R}{h}z+R}\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}r\ d\theta\ dr\ dz

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Volume of Frustum Using Triple Integration

1. What is a frustum?

A frustum is a geometric shape that is formed when a cone or pyramid is cut by a plane parallel to its base. It resembles a cone or pyramid with its top portion sliced off.

2. What is triple integration?

Triple integration is a mathematical method used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape by dividing it into infinitesimal slices and summing the volume of each slice. It involves integrating a function of three variables over a three-dimensional region.

3. Why is triple integration used to find the volume of a frustum?

Triple integration is used to find the volume of a frustum because it takes into account the changing cross-sectional areas of the frustum. By dividing the frustum into infinitesimal slices, triple integration can accurately calculate the volume of each slice and then sum them to find the total volume.

4. What are the variables used in triple integration for finding the volume of a frustum?

The variables used in triple integration for finding the volume of a frustum are the lower and upper limits of integration, which represent the boundaries of the frustum, and the function being integrated, which represents the changing cross-sectional area of the frustum.

5. Can triple integration be used for other shapes besides frustums?

Yes, triple integration can be used to find the volume of other three-dimensional shapes, such as cylinders, spheres, and cones. It can also be used for more complex shapes, such as irregular prisms or pyramids.