Moving: Pros & Cons of My Dream Place

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the woman is considering moving to save money, but her children want to move in with her to save money as well. She's looking at two apartments and one has a steep staircase and large window, while the other has a attached two car garage and kitchen. The problem is that she'll have to pay for the added rent and her children want the one with the bathtub.

If a chimpmunk ever got close enough to me to climb up my leg I would try to stomp on it for sure. I like nature and animals and all but squirels and the like I'd rather have my distance from.

Physics news on Phys.org

zomgwtf said:
If a chimpmunk ever got close enough to me to climb up my leg I would try to stomp on it for sure. I like nature and animals and all but squirels and the like I'd rather have my distance from.
'Munks are sweeties. They are the cuddliest wild critters ever, and they will steal your heart if you ever get to know them. They will act all excited when they see you and dash to you as quickly as they can. They are not vocal, but they are very demonstrative.

BTW, I shoot red squirrels on sight.

Last edited:

turbo-1 said:
'Munks are sweeties. They are the cuddliest wild critters ever, and they will steal your heart if you ever get to know them. They will act all excited when they see you and dash to you as quickly as they can to you. They are not vocal, but they are very demonstrative.

They sing a great christmas carol too.

Evo said:
Just the hired help. :frown:

You have said something about Evo Child and her BF? Let him know what it means to live with you-want-me-as-a-mother-in-law - the sooner the better.

Jokes aside: they really should be involved in moving. After all you sacrifice place you like to help them.

Last edited:

I was wondering (unless I missed it) why you are moving in with them. Wouldn't be better, in a lot of ways, just to help them a little with the rent (does your ex help at all?) ?

Hmm...if a place you like better becomes available Feb 6 and your daughter needs to be out of her place sooner, is that really sufficient reason to hastily move to a place that isn't as desireable? You're already sacrificing a lot to help her financially, and Feb. 6 is not that far away. Surely she and her bf could camp out on sofas or an inflatable mattress on the floor for a couple weeks until the better apartment is ready. They're still plenty young enough to manage that for a short time in the interest of finding a place you'll enjoy more in the long term. Afterall, they could decide to move back out in 6 months and you're stuck there...it should be a place you enjoy. Really, it's not that implausible that an adult child and her boyfriend living with her mom is not going to work well as a long-term living arrangement, no matter how good of a relationship the two of you have (how long will the bf be able to stand it for?).

Moonbear said:
Hmm...if a place you like better becomes available Feb 6 and your daughter needs to be out of her place sooner, is that really sufficient reason to hastily move to a place that isn't as desireable? You're already sacrificing a lot to help her financially, and Feb. 6 is not that far away. Surely she and her bf could camp out on sofas or an inflatable mattress on the floor for a couple weeks until the better apartment is ready. They're still plenty young enough to manage that for a short time in the interest of finding a place you'll enjoy more in the long term. Afterall, they could decide to move back out in 6 months and you're stuck there...it should be a place you enjoy. Really, it's not that implausible that an adult child and her boyfriend living with her mom is not going to work well as a long-term living arrangement, no matter how good of a relationship the two of you have (how long will the bf be able to stand it for?).

good thinking, MB

Moonbear said:
Evo Child made a convincing case. She said the other apt faces an open field and the trees are pretty far away and we could see no squirrel nests, she said I'd probably just attract field mice. The apt that's available now is about a block from the ravine and the squirrels will have a clear view of my patio. If I put up a bird feeder, they will see the activity and will be at my patio like white on rice. :biggrin: I guess it is pretty pathetic that my main activity is watching rodents scurrying around. :rolleyes:

Aren't you old (:rolleyes:) enough to start thinking about the place you want to live after retiring? :biggrin:

Evo said:
Evo Child made a convincing case.

Hardly suprising:

Evo said:
But you cannot say no to her. She is so logical and so persuasive. And then she has those huge robin's egg blue almond shaped eyes with thick, long lashes, and that face she makes. Her friends all tell me it's not fair. They can't say no to her when she makes "the face".

rewebster said:
I was wondering (unless I missed it) why you are moving in with them. Wouldn't be better, in a lot of ways, just to help them a little with the rent (does your ex help at all?) ?
Their utilities aren't included in their rent, they have to pay water, trash, cable, internet and electricity. Except for internet and electricity, everything else is included in my rent for a flat fee, $10 a month covers water and trash, for example, I just paid a $230 for her water bill, that was a 2 month bill. With all of her utilities, she pays more per month for her place than I pay for mine. So having them move in with me, even though it's a larger place, will save about $600 a month, and I won't have to help them out anymore, they can easily pay me the difference in the rent. Plus her boyfriend is a neat freak, so he loves to clean, he'll be doing a lot of the housework, which is fine with me.

Borek said:
Hardly suprising:
She wants to be a lawyer, perfect choice. :-p

Evo said:
Evo Child made a convincing case. She said the other apt faces an open field and the trees are pretty far away and we could see no squirrel nests, she said I'd probably just attract field mice. The apt that's available now is about a block from the ravine and the squirrels will have a clear view of my patio. If I put up a bird feeder, they will see the activity and will be at my patio like white on rice. :biggrin: I guess it is pretty pathetic that my main activity is watching rodents scurrying around. :rolleyes:

Hmm...with that information, I would agree with her. A block from the ravine sounds like a MUCH better location for you. :biggrin:

I hope she and her boyfriend round up every friend they have to help you move. Last time you moved, you broke too many things trying to do it yourself...mostly your bones! :eek: Since you're moving within the same apartment complex, it should be quick work if they round up a bunch of people to just pick up stuff and carry it and immediately put it away in a similar place to where it came from so you don't have to pack and unpack.

Evo said:
Plus her boyfriend is a neat freak, so he loves to clean, he'll be doing a lot of the housework, which is fine with me.

Hmmm...I have a spare bedroom. :rolleyes:

Edit: Wait a minute! Which of them is running up a $230 water bill for just two months?! I can't remember ever having more than a $50 water bill QUARTERLY, even when watering the lawn and garden in the summer! How does someone run up that much of a bill living in an apartment?

Last edited:

Evo said:
... and I won't have to help them out anymore, they can easily pay me the difference in the rent.

well, that's the (your) plan...

:wink:

-------------------------------------------------

Everytime I've ever made the move to co-habitate, for some reason, no money was 'saved'---more was spent than before, with all the new activities

When I was in college, I was a Spartan. Minimal furnishings, shelves made of cinderblock and boards, or perhaps milk-crates and boards, and the place was spotless. I can clutter up the place with stuff now, but I'm still a fan of "clean".

There were two young ladies who lived across the street from me in college, and they would rave about my apartment. I'd cook for them and they'd bring wine and appetizers. I had an older friend in Bangor who was gay (flamboyantly so!) and he kept his apartment perfectly clean, also. We all got along. I loved attending Tommy's parties - he and his buddies were geniuses at laying out opulent spreads for parties on a shoestring budget. I'd bring some top-shelf liquor as gifts to replenish what they would lay out, but there was no way to properly compensate him or his friends for all the other treats.

Moonbear said:
Hmmm...I have a spare bedroom. :rolleyes:

Edit: Wait a minute! Which of them is running up a $230 water bill for just two months?! I can't remember ever having more than a $50 water bill QUARTERLY, even when watering the lawn and garden in the summer! How does someone run up that much of a bill living in an apartment?
I know, I was shocked when I saw what her bills run. They're not home that much and they eat out most of the time, so very few dishes. When I was at her place around Christmas, there were no leaky faucets, the toilet shut off properly. I'm wondering how accurate those water readings are. I may ask her for more copies of bills. I wonder if there could be a leak between her apartment and the water main, or a faulty meter.

Evo said:
I know, I was shocked when I saw what her bills run. They're not home that much and they eat out most of the time, so very few dishes. When I was at her place around Christmas, there were no leaky faucets, the toilet shut off properly. I'm wondering how accurate those water readings are. I may ask her for more copies of bills. I wonder if there could be a leak between her apartment and the water main, or a faulty meter.

Is she the daughter that left a lot of stuff including that almost new vacuum behind when she moved one time?

I got a funny feeling that the daughter and her BF will be saving some of their money on rent and utilities at least.

Last edited:

Evo said:

I would very much suspect a leak somewhere. That's easy to test. Turn all the water off in the place, check the meter, go do something for a couple hours, check the meter again and see if it has changed. Unless she and her boyfriend are each taking 2 hour showers every day, it makes no sense otherwise.

Moonbear said:
I would very much suspect a leak somewhere. That's easy to test. Turn all the water off in the place, check the meter, go do something for a couple hours, check the meter again and see if it has changed. Unless she and her boyfriend are each taking 2 hour showers every day, it makes no sense otherwise.

That was happening a lot at that period of my life--not 'each' though

rewebster said:
That was happening a lot at that period of my life--not 'each' though

I was thinking something similar.

Moonbear said:

i would check the toilets. a leaky flapper valve will do it, or otherwise maladjusted. just keep your ears open and you'll hear it running.

Proton Soup said:
i would check the toilets. a leaky flapper valve will do it, or otherwise maladjusted. just keep your ears open and you'll hear it running.
I checked that, it was fine.

I'd check the faulty metre idea. I had a faulty power metre in one apartment I was living in. Every few months the metre reading guy would actually take a reading -- rather than the utility company estimating -- and I'd wind up with a $200+ power bill. It made no sense. It was a one-bedroom apartment, I worked all day and didn't leave lights on. I did one load of laundry a week. I didn't ever use the dishwasher. And yet, somehow, I was eating up hundreds of dollars worth of power for around 850 square feet of space in a month, whereas my 2,500+ square foot house had power bills of around $70 a month. And that was with living with someone who did laundry every other day and ran the dishwasher in between. Who left every light on, constantly, and left teevees going and ran air conditioners and, and, and.

After three ginormous bills, and several serious arguments with the power company, I was finally able to get the building manager involved to check my metre for me. It was in a locked utility room in the building's basement. The little wheel on the metre was just spinning. I'm amazed the power company hadn't reported me to the RCMP as a suspected grow-op, because my power usage -- according to the metre -- was off the charts.

Anyway, fixed metre, bill dropped to between $15 and $20 a month. So.

even if they did use a lot of water before, they may change their habits when you all move in together

----

evo, you're still pretty happy about getting to be 'closer' to your daughter and her boyfiend, right?

Evo said:
Sounds like a water leak after the meeter. As some suggested - one would have to shut everything off and check over a 24 or 48 period to see if the meter needle moved.

Evo said:
Their utilities aren't included in their rent, they have to pay water, trash, cable, internet and electricity. Except for internet and electricity, everything else is included in my rent for a flat fee, $10 a month covers water and trash, for example, I just paid a $230 for her water bill, that was a 2 month bill. With all of her utilities, she pays more per month for her place than I pay for mine. So having them move in with me, even though it's a larger place, will save about $600 a month, and I won't have to help them out anymore, they can easily pay me the difference in the rent. Plus her boyfriend is a neat freak, so he loves to clean, he'll be doing a lot of the housework, which is fine with me.
Hopefully the savings can go into an annuity or some other investment.

Evo said:
Evo Child last summer
evochild1.jpg

I went back reading some of the thread---

I guess I was thinking this but didn't write it:

yes---you and your daughter do have some similar traits---

Evo said:
I don't have many freckles, probably uneveness on my chest from sun exposure.

Those 'freckles' I think are made in the camera. I jist found a photo that was taken of me in low light with my low pixel camera and it's (I've) got the same type of 'freckles'.

Evo said:
:cry: Evo Child found a renter and they want to move in next week, and she said ok!

So we're taking a model we don't really want becuase the one we want won't be read until Feb 6th.
:frown: :frown: :frown:

I mean, it's not bad, but the other one was PERFECT. I had squirrel trees, no one behind us, just a hill, wilderness, bunnies. The one we're taking would have a greater appeal to *normal* people, a nice groomed and landscaped large area. Not a squirrel in sight. Just pristine recently planted trees and shrubs and people with lovely patio furniture. :cry:

I HATE IT. It also has less windows, and a weird curved driveway.

Does anyone want an old Evo to move in with them? You have to have wilderness, a creek and wild animals.

Where's my Prozac?

Oh yeah, I don't take Prozac. :frown:

I bet evo is having a lot of fun these last few days

The saga continues...

Ok, that last renter vanished, so we didn't move. BUT, Evo child's lease is up the end of May, and as luck would have it, my next door neighbor that has the unit we want is moving to California the end of May! I have already notified the office that we are taking it. We have a tentative move in date of June 12th.

This is perfect, I'm only moving 10 feet away.

The down side is that their patio only gets half as much sun as my patio, so I may not be able to grow anything. :frown:

Evo said:
so I may not be able to grow anything. :frown:

only regret and resentment! jk, seems cool! go for it!

Evo said:
The down side is that their patio only gets half as much sun as my patio, so I may not be able to grow anything. :frown:
All is not lost. Forget tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cukes, etc, but there are lots of greens that thrive in shade/partial sun. Kale, chard, lettuce, spinach... You'll at least have the basics for salads, and you can plant most of them over and over again. No need with Black-Seeded Simpson leaf lettuce though. Cut it as you need it and it grows right back all season long, into the fall.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/VegFruit/vegshady.htm

Greg Bernhardt said:
only regret and resentment! jk, seems cool! go for it!

yeah, go for it---what could go wrong?!

rewebster said:
yeah, go for it---what could go wrong?!

Good Lord, man! Remember who you're talking about! :smile: