Motion & Energy: Calculate Total Energy & Friction Coefficient

In summary: Yes, part 1 is easy if the question is interpreted this way. But all the work you did above is still important for part 2.
jimmy4
I have attempted this question, please feel feel to comment.

A horizontal force of 80 N acts on a mass of 6 kg resting on a horizontal surface. The mass is initially at rest and covers a distance of 5m in 0.92 s under the action of the force. Assuming that there is no energy lost to air resistance and therefore that the acceleration is constant.
1. calculate the total energy expended in the acceleration
2. calculate the coefficient of friction between the mass and the surface.

Ans attempt.

1. acceleration s = (1/2) at^2
s = (1/2) a(0.92)^2
5 = 0.4232a
a = 5/0.4232
a = 11.815 m/s

Final Velosity v = a * t.
v = 11.815 * 0.92 = 10.87ms^2
Initial Velosity u = 11.815 * 0 = 0

Kinetic Energy Ke = 1/2 (mv^2)
= (1/2) 6 * 10.87^2
= 354.46 Joules

2. Force = m * a the fifferance between 80 N and the friction.
6 * 11.815 = 70.89 N

P = 80 - 70.79 = 9.11 N

P = (mu)Rn
mu = P/Rn
9.11/58.86
mu = 0.154

Any advice would be welcome. Jimmy

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't there also an energy lost due to friction that adds to the total?

Hint: How much total work was done by the 80N force on the block? How does that differ from the energy gained by the block? (You computed this above.) Can you relate this discrepancy to the coefficient of friction?

G01. ... I think the question is slightly missleading. The total energy expended is just force * distance but the question asks..

1. calculate the total energy expended in the acceleration

Is that asking for the total energy required to accelerate the object OR just that fraction required to accelerate it and ignoring the fraction required to overcome friction?

I'd give both answers and let the examiner sort it out :-)

CWatters said:
G01. ... I think the question is slightly missleading. The total energy expended is just force * distance but the question asks..

Is that asking for the total energy required to accelerate the object OR just that fraction required to accelerate it and ignoring the fraction required to overcome friction?

I'd give both answers and let the examiner sort it out :-)

I pretty sure it's asking for the total energy expended. Overcoming friction is an important part of the acceleration process. :)

G01 said:
I pretty sure it's asking for the total energy expended. Overcoming friction is an important part of the acceleration process. :)

I think you are right, for a body to accelerate it would have to expend energy to overcome friction.

The answer "354.47 J " would have been correct if the question explicitly asked about the amount used to increase the Kinetic Energy .

I was concerned that makes the question rather easy. Just 80N x 5m = 400 Joules.

CWatters said:
I was concerned that makes the question rather easy. Just 80N x 5m = 400 Joules.

Yes, part 1 is easy if the question is interpreted this way. But all the work you did above is still important for part 2.

Related to Motion & Energy: Calculate Total Energy & Friction Coefficient

1. What is total energy?

Total energy is the combination of kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion, and potential energy, which is the energy an object has based on its position or stored energy.

2. How do you calculate total energy?

To calculate total energy, you would use the equation E = KE + PE, where E represents total energy, KE represents kinetic energy, and PE represents potential energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE represents kinetic energy, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

4. What is the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is a number that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is used in equations to calculate the force of friction.

5. How do you calculate the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force of friction and the normal force and dividing them.