Mechanics, energy, acceleration.

In summary: Newtonsenergy - Joulespower - WattsThe units for energy are kg-m2/s2, So your energy calculation in the previous post would be 354.47 J. And yes, you would add that to the energy expended due to friction to get the total energy expended.To calculate the coefficient of friction, you need to use the formula:Ff = μFnwhere Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and Fn is the normal force (equal to the weight of the object in this case).So to find μ, we need to rearrange the equation:μ = Ff/F
oxon88

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 80N acts on a mass of 6Kg resting on a horizontal surface. The mass is initially at rest and covers a distance of 5m in 0.92s under the action of the force. Assuming there are no energy losses due to air resistance and therefore that the acceleration is constant

i) calculate the total energy expended in the acceleration

ii) calculate the coefficient of friction between the mass and the surface.

Homework Equations

v = s/t

a = (v-u) / t

s = ut + (1/2)a.t2

F = m.a

Ke = 1/2*m*V^2

The Attempt at a Solution

first I calculated the acceleration:

s = (1/2).a.t2

5 = (1/2)a.0.922

10/0.922 = a = 11.815 ms-2Then i calculated the net force:

F = m.a

F = 6 * 11.815 = 70.89N

therefore i think friction = 80N - 70.89N = 9.11N Would this be the coefficient of friction?Next i calculated the speed after 0.92s. s = d/t = 5/0.92 = 5.435 ms-1

Then calculate kinetic energy: = (1/2)m.v2 = 3*5.4352 = 88.62Jso now would the total energy expended = kinetic energy + Friction force * 5m?

= 88.62 + 9.11 * 5 = 488.65 Nm
can anyone verify this? and let me know if I'm way off please?

Physics news on Phys.org
oxon88 said:

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 80N acts on a mass of 6Kg resting on a horizontal surface. The mass is initially at rest and covers a distance of 5m in 0.92s under the action of the force. Assuming there are no energy losses due to air resistance and therefore that the acceleration is constant

Homework Equations

v = s/t

a = (v-u) / t

s = ut + (1/2)a.t2

F = m.a

Ke = 1/2*m*V^2

The Attempt at a Solution

first I calculated the acceleration:

s = (1/2).a.t2

5 = (1/2)a.0.922

10/0.922 = a = 11.815 ms-2Then i calculated the net force:

F = m.a

F = 6 * 11.815 = 70.89N

therefore i think friction = 80N - 70.89N = 9.11N Would this be the coefficient of friction?Next i calculated the speed after 0.92s. s = d/t = 5/0.92 = 5.435 ms-1

Then calculate kinetic energy: = (1/2)m.v2 = 3*5.4352 = 88.62Jso now would the total energy expended = kinetic energy + Friction force * 5m?

= 88.62 + 9.11 * 5 = 488.65 Nm
can anyone verify this? and let me know if I'm way off please?

This line [red] of your calculation calculates the average speed only. This object is accelerating!

EDIT: And the line before, you calculated the actual friction; not the co-efficient of friction.

Last edited:
ok so because its accelerating, would I use s = (U + V * t) / 2

s = (5.435 *0.92) / 2 = 2.5 ms-1 ??

is the acceleration not constant though? so surely speed will be constant?

oxon88 said:
ok so because its accelerating, would I use s = (U + V * t) / 2

s = (5.435 *0.92) / 2 = 2.5 ms-1 ??

That formula is poorly written, and not appropriate.

This object was accelerating at 11+ m/s/s - if your calculations are correct, and maintaind that acceleration for almost a whole second, so will have reached a speed approaching 11 m/s.

EDIT: that formula should have been written s = (U+V)*t/2

Last edited:
oxon88 said:
is the acceleration not constant though? so surely speed will be constant?

Speed is constant when the acceleration is zero!

Constant acceleration means the speed continually increases, at a steady rate.

eg: an acceleration of 10m/s2 means the speed increases from 0 -10 in one second, then up to 20 m/s [another 10] in the next second, and yet another 10 to 30 m/s after 3 seconds.

That's what acceleration means.

ok i had a re-think.

can i not just use:

Work done = Force x Distance

= 80N x 5m = 400J

Power = Work Done / Time

= 400j / 0.92s = 434.783 Watts

oxon88 said:
ok i had a re-think.

can i not just use:

Work done = Force x Distance

= 80N x 5m = 400J

Power = Work Done / Time

= 400j / 0.92s = 434.783 Watts

BUT

The original question(s) didn't ask anything about Power ??

ok am i any closer here?...s = (a.t2)/2

5 = a.(0.922)/2

5 = a.(0.4232)

a = 5/(0.4232) = 11.815 ms-1

so if the acceleration is 11.815 ms-1 can i then use v = a.t?V5 = 11.815*0.92 = 10.87 ms2

v0 = 11.815*0 = 0 ms2
then do i work out the Ke?

Ke = (1/2)m.v2 = (1/2)80x10.872 = 4726.276 J

would this give me the total energy expended?

oxon88 said:
ok am i any closer here?...

s = (a.t2)/2

5 = a.(0.922)/2

5 = a.(0.4232)

a = 5/(0.4232) = 11.815 ms-1

so if the acceleration is 11.815 ms-1 can i then use v = a.t?

V5 = 11.815*0.92 = 10.87 ms2

v0 = 11.815*0 = 0 ms2

then do i work out the Ke?

Ke = (1/2)m.v2 = (1/2)80x10.872 = 4726.276 J

would this give me the total energy expended?

Getting closer. when you calculated the Ke, you used 80 for the mass. 80 was the force.

The energy expended will be greater than that, since work was done against friction. That's where part (ii) comes in.

whoops. ok so if i use the mass this time...

Ke = (1/2) 6000 x 10.872

=354470.7 j

will i need to add this to the energy expended due to friction?

any advice on working out the coefficient of friction?

oxon88 said:
whoops. ok so if i use the mass this time...

Ke = (1/2) 6000 x 10.872

=354470.7 j

will i need to add this to the energy expended due to friction?

any advice on working out the coefficient of friction?

Sorry, but the mass is 6 not 6000.

base units in Physics are metres, kg and seconds. I first learned it as the mks system, but better known as SI units [International system of units - but in French where the word for System comes before the word for International]

ok

Ke = (1/2) 6 x 10.872

= 354.47 j

what else is needed to find the total energy expended?

Last edited:
oxon88 said:
ok

Ke = (1/2) 6 x 10.872

= 354.47 j

what else is needed to find the total energy expended?

re-visiting the original post:

(i) I find a little unclear. I could put a case for the answer here being what was requested, and then again the Work done [Your post #7 before you went on pursuing Power] may be what is sought.

Certainly you do a lot of work, and much of that is realized by acceleration to the speed we reached.
The "lost" energy [ie Work - final Ek} will enable you to find the work done against friction - and thus the size of the frictional force. From that you can calculate the co-efficient of friction; μ

PeterO said:
re-visiting the original post:

(i) I find a little unclear. I could put a case for the answer here being what was requested, and then again the Work done [Your post #7 before you went on pursuing Power] may be what is sought.

Certainly you do a lot of work, and much of that is realized by acceleration to the speed we reached.
The "lost" energy [ie Work - final Ek} will enable you to find the work done against friction - and thus the size of the frictional force. From that you can calculate the co-efficient of friction; μ

Yes i see your point.

So i could answer the question by saying that the total energy expended is 400 J (Work = F x D)

Then I could go on further and say that the energy expended in the acceleration is 354.47 J, therefore the energy expended because of friction is 45.53 J

can you offer any advice on finding the coefficient of friction?

i have had a go and come up with this:

F=μRN

RN=m.g = 6*9.81 = 58.86N

Can i now use the friction I calulated previously (45.53J) in the formula?

45.53 = μ.58.86

μ = 45.53 / 58.86 = 0.774

oxon88 said:
Yes i see your point.

So i could answer the question by saying that the total energy expended is 400 J (Work = F x D)

Then I could go on further and say that the energy expended in the acceleration is 354.47 J, therefore the energy expended because of friction is 45.53 J

can you offer any advice on finding the coefficient of friction?

i have had a go and come up with this:

F=μRN

RN=m.g = 6*9.81 = 58.86N

Can i now use the friction I calulated previously (45.53J) in the formula?

45.53 = μ.58.86

μ = 45.53 / 58.86 = 0.774

Not quite.

Watch you quantities F is a force -measured in Newtons

That 45.53 was 45.53 Joules - a measure of work or energy.

You need to find what distance was covered, so that you can find the size of the force.
OR
Tou could find out the acceleration [I think you already have] and work out what net force is necessary for that - let's say it was 78 N [I just made up that figure]. That would mean that friction must have been 2N, to reduce the effect of the 80N applied force to a mere 78N

Using the correct derived Force, you will get the correct coefficient of friction

If you are worried about change of method on the way through this, you have to become familiar with the fact that these problems can be worked out in a variety of ways - and a kinematics approach may be useful for some values, work/energy for others, impulse/momentum for still others.

Each method can be a good starting point, but usually one method is the quickest and easiest depending what you are trying to calculate.

Note: A few times here you have strayed onto the wrong quantity - and the easiest way to keep track is follow the units.

Ok right so if i say FNet=m.a

FNet=6*11.815 = 70.89

then i take that away from the 80N (80N - 70.89 = 9.11N

and then use F = μ.R

9.11 = μ(58.86)

9.11/58.86 = μ

μ = 0.155

so the materials would likely be metal on metal?

Does that look better? Would i not need to take gravity into account when working out FNet? (somthing like: FNet= m.a.g)??

oxon88 said:
Ok right so if i say FNet=m.a

FNet=6*11.815 = 70.89

then i take that away from the 80N (80N - 70.89 = 9.11N

and then use F = μ.R

9.11 = μ(58.86)

9.11/58.86 = μ

μ = 0.155

so the materials would likely be metal on metal?

Does that look better? Would i not need to take gravity into account when working out FNet? (somthing like: FNet= m.a.g)??

You used gravity when you calculated the Normal reaction force - 58.86N

As for the net force - you don't need gravity, just F[sub[net[/sub] = ma

ok that makes sense. so the answers of μ = 0.155 would be correct?

oxon88 said:
ok that makes sense. so the answers of μ = 0.155 would be correct?

Looks good. - and is a reasonable answer.

Related to Mechanics, energy, acceleration.

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It deals with the concepts of motion, force, energy, and acceleration.

2. What is energy?

Energy is the ability of a system to do work or produce heat. It comes in different forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, and its unit is meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. How are mechanics and energy related?

Mechanics and energy are closely related because energy is required to cause a change in the motion of an object. For example, a force acting on an object can cause a change in its velocity, and this requires energy. Energy can also be converted into different forms, such as potential energy being converted into kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of mechanics, energy, and acceleration?

Mechanics, energy, and acceleration have many real-life applications, including designing structures and machines, understanding the motion of vehicles and projectiles, and developing renewable energy sources. They also play a crucial role in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics.