How Do You Graph Kinetic Energy Against Time and Distance?

In summary, the conversation involves a calculation of the total energy expended in the acceleration of a mass under the action of a horizontal force. The graphs of kinetic energy against time and distance are plotted, showing exponential and linear relationships respectively.
james123
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

A horizontal force of 80 N acts on a mass of 6 kg resting on a horizontal surface. The mass is initially at rest and covers a distance of 5 m in 0.92 s under the action of the force. Assuming there are no energy losses due to air resistance and therefore that the acceleration is constant:
  1. (a) Calculate the total energy expended in the acceleration.

(b) Plot a graph of the kinetic energy of the mass against time.

(c) Plot a graph of the kinetic energy of the mass against distance. Work done so far:

1. (a) 80 x 5= 400J

1 (b) a= 2d/t^2
    a=(2x5)/0.92^2
    a=11.8147448
    a=11.81 m/s^-2

v=at
    v=11.8147448 x 0.932
    v=10.86956522

KE=1/2m(at)2
    KE=0.5 x 6(10.86956522)^2
    KE=354.4423442 J

1 (c) KE=1/2m(2ad)
    KE=0.5 x 6(2 x 11.8147448 x 5
    KE=354.442344 JMy main questions are, should I expect the same answers for both questions? seems a little odd to me.
    Also, I'm completely stumped on the graphs, how to start them, how to plot them etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
james123 said:
should I expect the same answers for both questions? seems a little odd to me.
Why ? There is only one kinetic energy at t = 0.92 s, which is what you calculated in b) and c). What the exercise asks is a plot of KE vs t in b) and vs d in c). So far you have two points (t=0 and t = 0.92 s) for the first and two points (d=0 and d=5 m) for part c).

Please post in the homework section and use the template

Oh, and if the exercise given data are in two digits, don't report in 10 digits (calculating in that many digits is just fine though, with todays equipment :smile:).

Hi, thanks for replying.

I have now posted in the homework section.

I think I was just suspicious about getting two of the same answers, I assumed I was doing something wrong.

After thinking about it, it now makes sense, just got to figure out these graphs!

My first graph for 1(b) has ended up looking like this, is this along the right lines??
untitled-jpg.jpg

Does it look like a graph of
james123 said:
KE=1/2m(at)2 ?
And: does it show
james123 said:
KE=354 J
at t = 0.92 s ?

Sorry, the graph I posted was generic and isn't mine, just used it as an example to show the general shape of what I ended up with.

That said, I've re-done the graphs and think I have it. Please ignore the values as again these aren't my graphs.

For question 1 (b) I have this graph where KE grows exponentially.
upload_2017-8-10_13-58-44.jpeg

And for 1(c) I have needed up with a straight line graph

untitled-jpg-jpg.jpg

Still trying to figure out how to upload my own pictures from a MacBook! Are these the shaped of graph I should expect??

Thanks for chipping in so far, I really appreciate it

james123 said:
Are these the shaped of graph I should expect?
Yes. a parabola for KE=1/2m(at)2 and a straight line for KE=1/2m(at)2

Related to How Do You Graph Kinetic Energy Against Time and Distance?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy related to mass and velocity?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity. This means that as the mass or velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

3. What does a kinetic energy graph represent?

A kinetic energy graph shows the relationship between an object's kinetic energy and its velocity. It typically has a positive slope, indicating that as velocity increases, kinetic energy also increases.

4. How can you calculate kinetic energy from a graph?

To calculate the kinetic energy from a graph, you can use the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity at a specific point on the graph.

5. How can a kinetic energy graph be useful in understanding motion?

Kinetic energy graphs can provide valuable information about an object's motion. They can show the relationship between kinetic energy and velocity, help identify maximum and minimum kinetic energy values, and determine how changes in velocity affect an object's kinetic energy.