Energy expended question answer check please

• Thread starter charger9198
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, a horizontal force of 80N acts on a mass of 6 Kg resting on a horizontal surface. The mass is initially at rest and covers a distance of 5m in 0.92s under the action of the force. Assuming there are no energy losses due to air resistance and therefore that the acceleration is constant, the final velocity of the mass is 11.547 m/s.
charger9198
A horizontal force of 80N acts on a mass of 6 Kg resting on a horizontal surface. The mass is initially at rest and covers a distance of 5m in 0.92s under the action of the force. Assuming there are no energy losses due to air resistance and therefore that the acceleration is constant

Showing all working Calculate the total energy expanded in the acceleration;

S=(.5)at^2
5=(.5)a(0.92^2)
=0.4232 a
a=5/0.4232 = 11.8147 ms^2

V=at
=11.8147*0.92
=10.8695 ms^-1

s=(.5)a(t^2)
s=4.999 m

Work done;

W=F*d=80*5= 400J

Power;

W=P*t
P=W/t=400/0.92=434.78 watt

The final velocity of the mass
Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad (vi=0, as the mass is initially at rest)
F=m*a
a=F/m=80/6=13.33 m/s^2
Vf^2=2*13.33*5=133.33
Vf=11.55m/s

the final momentum
p=mv
=6*11.55=69.3 N/s

the final kinetic energy
K=0.5*m*v^2=533 J

Have I answered the fundamental points of the question of is there irrelevant things I could remove, I'm just trying to answer the question as thoroughly and best I can..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"the final kinetic energy
K=0.5*m*v^2=533 J"

The final kinetic energy cannot be larger than the work done.

Secondly, you compute the acceleration as 10.8695 ms^-1 at the beginning of your analysis using data supplied in the problem. But near the end you compute it as Vf=11.55m/s using F=ma. What does this tell you?

I've re-done it..May be correct this time.
As The work done = 400 J and it says assume no energy is lost, and cannot exceed 400 J

W = F x d
= 80 x 5 = 400 J

Thus;

KE = 1/2*M*V2
400 = 1/2*6*V2
400 = 3*V2
400/3 = V^2
sqrt(400/3) = v
v = 11.547 m/s

a = v – u / t
a = 11.547 – 0 / 0.92
a = 12.551 m/s2

V = a*t

As the acceleration remains the same throughout and the velocity increases I used the equation V = a*t to change the velocity at various times from t=0 to t=0.92 to give me all my graph points (400J being the figure for t = 0.92 seconds for the equation KE = 1/2*M*V2)

on the right lines now? or have i gone wrong?

Last edited:
question also states to Plot a graph of the kinetic energy of the mass against time that's why I've concentrated at individual points of time i.e t=0, t=0.92

Last edited:
By using Newtons second law (a = 80/6) and s = 0.5 a t^2 distance traveled is more than that given in the problem.This implies the presence of sliding friction.Therefore work done or work expended must be calculated by using W = Fs = 80(5) = 400 J.If you use other data as you have done in the first part friction will also be included and hence you get net work done by all forces - not the work expended which implies the work done by external agent.

Last edited:
Kinetic energy K = 0.5 m v^2 =0.5 m (at^2)^2 which is a parabola.

charger9198 said:
S=(.5)at^2
5=(.5)a(0.92^2)
=0.4232 a
a=5/0.4232 = 11.8147 ms^2

s=(.5)a(t^2)
s=4.999 m

The final velocity of the mass
Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad (vi=0, as the mass is initially at rest)
F=m*a
a=F/m=80/6=13.33 m/s^2
Vf^2=2*13.33*5=133.33
Vf=11.55m/s

Whats going on above?
Is the floor having some friction?

my first post was my first attempt whereby i went all over the place. is my second post right?

Please refer to my first post.
Attention , cupid.callin
Sliding friction must be present as explained in the first post.
Attention ,charger
you are equating work done by 80 N to Change in Kinetic energy.This is wrong because you are neglecting friction the presence of which is explained in my first post.

charger9198 said:
my first post was my first attempt whereby i went all over the place. is my second post right?

My advice: use acceleration you found by s = 0.5 at2 (Why ?)

80 N is the force of some external agent. If you calculate the acceleration from time and displacement you will find that the net force is only 70.9 N. The difference is due to sliding friction. The work of the resultant force is equal to the change of KE.

ehild

Related to Energy expended question answer check please

What is the purpose of tracking energy expended?

The purpose of tracking energy expended is to gain a better understanding of how much energy an individual or system is using in order to accurately measure and manage energy usage.

How is energy expended measured?

Energy expended can be measured through various methods such as using energy meters, calculating energy consumption based on fuel usage, or estimating energy expenditure through activity tracking devices.

What factors affect energy expended?

The amount of energy expended can be affected by several factors, including physical activity, environmental conditions, and the efficiency of the system or individual's energy usage.

How can energy expended be reduced?

Energy expended can be reduced by implementing energy-efficient practices, using energy-saving technologies, and making sustainable choices in daily activities.

Why is it important to monitor energy expended?

Monitoring energy expended is important because it allows for better management of resources and can help identify areas where energy usage can be reduced, leading to cost savings and a more sustainable use of energy.