Mom Thinks I'm Arguing with her when I'm trying to explain

• Thread starter Gozaru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation revolves around the poster's difficulty in explaining things to his mother, who often sees it as arguing and becomes hostile. Suggestions of seeking family counseling and the possibility of the poster having a need to always be right are also brought up. The conversation ends with a quote from Mark Twain about the changing views towards one's parents as they grow older.
Gozaru
Every time I try to explain something to my mom she thinks I'm arguing. She is like this all the time. If I don't stop arguing(actually trying to explain something) she threatens me with something. Is she just a dumb parent or what? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Gozaru said:
Every time I try to explain something to my mom she thinks I'm arguing. She is like this all the time. If I don't stop arguing(actually trying to explain something) she threatens me with something. Is she just a dumb parent or what? Please help
Maybe you're a dumb kid? :wink:

It could be the tone you use or your body language. What/why are you explaining? Had she told you not to do something and you're trying to tell her she's wrong?

Likes fireflies
I get straight A's. Almost anything. I try to explain to her why I'm right about something and she thinks I'm arguing. She says, "You want to be right all the time" and then I'll say something like
"I'm just trying to explain" and she'll keep saying I want to be right all the time. Anytime I try to explain to her that I'm right about something(even though I know I might not be) she'll think I'm arguing with her

A family counselor who would meet with you'all would be best. Otherwise only guesses could be senility, or envy.

Gozaru said:

Calling your mother a dumb parent in front of a forum with strangers indicates to me that the problem is not only with her.

Likes PWiz, gracy, Qwertywerty and 6 others
symbolipoint said:
Otherwise only guesses could be senility, or envy.
What, no room for a kid with a bloated ego?

Likes ShayanJ and micromass
symbolipoint said:
A family counselor who would meet with you'all would be best. Otherwise only guesses could be senility, or envy.
I completely disagree about your second part. It could very well be just an extreme case of differences in type A and type B communication with absolutely no senility or envy involved. Likely, it's that combined with what Evo suggested; gozaru is unwittingly using communication methodology that is perceived as hostile when it is not at all intended to be.

EDIT: this is in agreement with micromass's suggestion. gozaru probably has a very poor realization of how he comes across to others.

Gozaru said:
I get straight A's.

Irrelevant. And yeah, if this is your discussion style, then I agree with your mother.

Almost anything. I try to explain to her why I'm right about something and she thinks I'm arguing. She says, "You want to be right all the time" and then I'll say something like
"I'm just trying to explain" and she'll keep saying I want to be right all the time.

Well, are you actually right? What topic are you arguing about mostly? Why do you think she's wrong?

And really, if she says stuff like this, then this should be an indication that she does not want to talk about it any further. So do the right thing and stop arguing. Not everybody is interested in having a lot of discussions.

And by the way gozaru, whether you admit it to yourself or not, I'm fairly confident that you DO want to be right all the time. That is very common for many people who are Type A and STEM oriented. It's possible I'm wrong, but unlikely. You should examine that possibility very carefully because if I'm right and you don't get a handle on it, you're in for a lot of unnecessary problems in life.

It's not something to be embarrassed by or ashamed of, it's just a condition that some of us have but it's one that it is good to be aware of if you DO have it (as I do).

phinds said:
...I'm fairly confident that you DO want to be right all the time.
Yeah, why can't people just put their big egos aside and pursue the path of being wrong all the time?

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, why can't people just put their big egos aside and pursue the path of being wrong all the time?
Sarcasm aside, there ARE those of us who, unfortunately, have an unhealthy need to be right all the time. Sure, nobody wants to be wrong all the time but Type B folks in particular tend to be much more tolerant of being wrong or at least not needing to be right all the time.

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” – Mark Twain

Likes fireflies, Dembadon, Mark44 and 2 others
phinds said:
Sarcasm aside, there ARE those of us who, unfortunately, have an unhealthy need to be right all the time. Sure, nobody wants to be wrong all the time but Type B folks in particular tend to be much more tolerant of being wrong or at least not needing to be right all the time.
I understand the issue you're raising, but the way you phrase it suggests it's wrong to want to be right, leading to the absurd conclusion it must be right to want to be wrong. The problem actually is people who have an unhealthy inability to admit when they happen to be wrong. That could well be this poster's mother. It strikes me she avoids admitting when he has demonstrated she's wrong by misdirecting the focus to his alleged need to be right.
Vanadium 50 said:
“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” – Mark Twain
In 1847, when Twain was 11, his father, by then an attorney and judge, died of pneumonia.[16]
-Wiki

zoobyshoe said:
The problem actually is people who have an unhealthy inability to admit when they happen to be wrong. That could well be this poster's mother. It strikes me she avoids admitting when he has demonstrated she's wrong by misdirecting the focus to his alleged need to be right.
The OP admits that he will argue he is right even when he knows he's wrong, I will have to side with the mother on this one.

Gozaru said:
Anytime I try to explain to her that I'm right about something(even though I know I might not be) she'll think I'm arguing with her

Here's the key to getting along with women. Recite these words:

You're right.
I'm wrong.
I'm Sorry.
How can I make it up to you?
Dinner?The last line is flexible. (The others are not!) Chocolate? Wine? Flowers?

Likes rootone
Its too bad we don't know the actual discussion here. However, I can recall movie scenes where a teen would argue the virtues of taking marijuana or some other drug citing all the attendant health benefits yada yada yada... and the parent saying you're wrong its not as healthy as you think... you'll be arrested with an ensuing impasse in the conversation. It could even be other subjects from girlfriends to cars to musical instruments to big concerts using teen vs parent arguments of too much money, too fast or too dangerous.

The most recent movie with this kind of stuff in it is The Descendants.

Kids are always near-sighted and parents are always far-sighted and therein lies the difference.

At home, I remember my son asking me to convince another parent to allow his daughter to come over for a teen birthday party. Realtime during the phone call, my son and his daughter were critiquing the conversation using AOL chat which later I thought was hilarious. The daughter was reading her father's body language and what he was saying, relaying it to my son who wanted me to keeping convincing him. He eventually said yes when he realized that we would be present and in the background, watching things and that it wasn't just all teens party with no adult supervision.

As a parent with a son who Must Be Right All The Time But Calls It 'Explaining', I'm afraid I know exactly how your mother feels.

My son has built up a whole world that he thinks makes sense, but he is so inexperienced he doesn't even know that his world is so small. He has not discovered humility. (This may not be your sitch, but the result is the same.)

Evo said:
The OP admits that he will argue he is right even when he knows he's wrong, [...]
That's not quite what he said. Having a debate with someone, but being open to the possibility that one might be wrong, is not a bad thing. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to be correct. The underlying issue is what criteria are being used to verify correctness, but we don't know whether that's even possible here because the OP still hasn't given any concrete examples.

I know plenty of people, especially ministers of religion, who are highly intelligent and can construct sophisticated (theoretical) arguments in support of their preferred position. So the crucial thing here is: can correctness be resolved by appeal to reality (i.e., empirical science), or is it just a philosophical debate and an ego/dominance thing?

Likes zoobyshoe
Eighteen posts on this now. Has ANYONE resolved the original posted problems?

I DID say that a family counselor who could meet in person with the two people involved would be best.

We can close this thread now. symbolipoint has fixed it for us. :rolleyes:

Likes Evo
Evo said:
The OP admits that he will argue he is right even when he knows he's wrong, I will have to side with the mother on this one.
You misread that. He did not say he knows he's wrong. "Even though I know I might not be," means he's allowing that he might be wrong, i.e. that someone might find a better argument, or better facts, but until that's demonstrated, he wants to explain it as he understands it. A person should be allowed to explain something as they understand it and be listened to attentively while doing so. Only then can some error on their part, if there is one, be rebutted."You just always want to be right," is a cheap berzerker tactic; it's changing the subject.

Gozaru said:
Anytime I try to explain to her that I'm right about something(even though I know I might not be) she'll think I'm arguing with her
Ok, he said that "he knows he might be wrong" yet he continues to argue he's right. I'm on the mother's side. He doesn't say that he thinks he might not be right, he says that he "knows" that he might not be right. Why can't he just admit that? Maybe if he did his mother might be more open to listening. Does he really never admit that he doesn't know?

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Well, no ... we all want to be right so we all insist on continuing to promote our own take on the situation. We're not about to give up just because we haven't resolved anything. :oldlaugh:

Evo said:
Ok, he said that "he knows he might be wrong" yet he continues to argue he's right. I'm on the mother's side. He doesn't say that he thinks he might not be right, he says that he "knows" that he might not be right. Why can't he just admit that? Maybe if he did his mother might be more open to listening. Does he really never admit that he doesn't know?
There is no point in everyone preceding everything they say with, 'I may be wrong, but ...'. It's understood when anyone opens their mouth they may be wrong.

There is nothing for us to resolve.
zoobyshoe said:
There is no point in everyone preceding everything they say with, 'I may be wrong, but ...'. It's understood when anyone opens their mouth they may be wrong.
Tell the OP that. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Tell the OP that. :biggrin:
All I need to tell the OP is that you are siding with his mother because you sense she is pure evil, and you like that in a parent.

Likes Lisa!, DaveC426913 and Evo
zoobyshoe said:
All I need to tell the OP is that you are siding with his mother because you sense she is pure evil, and you like that in a parent.
LOL!

symbolipoint said:

I DID say that a family counselor who could meet in person with the two people involved would be best.

I know that when I was a teenager, I was so busy...erm...'discussing,' that I never even considered what my parents were saying. I was only ever focused on how I was clearly right. In fact, I thought my father was the most intolerably ignorant man alive...he's learned a lot since then :wink:. Give the OP a reality check and things will improve.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
- Mark Twain

Likes Dr. Courtney
DaveC426913 said:
“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
- Mark Twain
See posts #12 and #13.

Likes gracy
zoobyshoe said:
See posts #12 and #13.
Dagnabit! I knew I remembered seeing that quote recently!

Gozaru: I take it all back - your mom's cheese is slipping off her cracker.

DaveC426913 said:
Dagnabit! I knew I remembered seeing that quote recently!

Every single time you see a "Twain quote", think of this one:

I never said that.
-Mark Twain.

It seems to apply here.

Likes Lisa! and DaveC426913
Gozaru said:
I get straight A's. Almost anything. I try to explain to her why I'm right about something and she thinks I'm arguing. She says, "You want to be right all the time" and then I'll say something like
"I'm just trying to explain" and she'll keep saying I want to be right all the time. Anytime I try to explain to her that I'm right about something(even though I know I might not be) she'll think I'm arguing with her
You come here to complain how bad you feel about your relative's decisions, but you seemingly don't want to learn or understand how bad s/he may be feeling each time you "win" your "dialogue" against him/her. There are things we can't change but it won't stop our little sparks of hope to change them.
Considering the importance of what needs and doesn't need to be explained is more necessary.

There isn't enough information to explain anything, we need more context to know what the issue is.

Is she religious, are you arguing about science / reality? Someones superstitions tend not to be flexible, regardless of evidence or even the most well put arguments. If you try to explain evolution or the big bang to a creationist, they will always argue with you.

Did she have a bitter divorce with your father? You may remind her of him, or may subconsciously take frustrations out on you.

Is she extremely knowledgeable or ignorant in the field you are arguing about? You may be arguing the same point from different perspectives. I've had arguments over procedural vs OOP code and ended up realizing that we were both describing modulation with slightly different details.

Is she arrogant? Some people would rather continue to argue a wrong point than admit that they are wrong, this tends to increase with age. Sarah Palin was once told by Fox News that she was wrong that Paul Revere rang bells to scare the British, instead of admitting she was wrong she made up a story on live TV to try and make herself right.

Does she have stake in what you are arguing? If you're right will it negatively impact her? Cigarettes don't cause cancer... according to cigarette manufactures.

Are you significantly more intelligent/educated than her? Grades don't matter, I mean real analytical and problem solving abilities? Some people get frustrated with people who are either way more or less intelligent, we think differently so a logical argument to you might not be logical to someone with less intelligence, some people are threatened by those who are more logical and argue just to argue, knowing they are outmatched.

That might not go away, you might have to just learn to present your arguments in a different way. You may explain in a universal way when you have to talk to different people in different ways.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
If it's just an opinion about something it often works out best to 'agree to disagree'.
There's nothing wrong with people having different opinions and it doesn't have to turn into a bitter feud about 'who is right'.
If the dispute is over actual facts then it's really down who has the evidence to support their claim.
In that situation, if one of the disagreeing parties has irrefutable evidence and the other doesn't, that should be enough to resolve the issue without an argument.