Modular forms, Hecke Operator, translation property

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of modular forms in solving a problem involving the space of modular forms of weight k. The speaker is trying to understand why a certain step in the solution is valid, specifically the claim that ##f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p})=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##. The expert responds by explaining that this is true because of the periodicity of the function with period 1.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I am trying to follow the attached solution to show that ##T_{p}f(\tau+1)=T_pf(\tau)##

Where ##T_p f(\tau) p^{k-1} f(p\tau) + \frac{1}{p} \sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0}f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##

Where ##M_k(\Gamma) ## denotes the space of modular forms of weight ##k##
(So we know that ## f(\tau+1)=f(\tau)## )

Homework Equations

look above, look below,

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
QUESTION

1) Using ## f(\tau+1)=f(\tau)##, similarly to what has been done for the first term in going from the second line to the first line , see solution below, I don't understand why we can't don't have :

## \frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p}) =\frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0}

f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}) ## via ## \tau'=\frac{\tau+j}{p} ## so then we have:

## \frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau'+1}{p}) =\frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau'}{p}) ##Solution attached:

heksol.png

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

QUESTION

1) Using ## f(\tau+1)=f(\tau)##, similarly to what has been done for the first term in going from the second line to the first line , see solution below, I don't understand why we can't don't have :

## \frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p}) =\frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0}

f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}) ## via ## \tau'=\frac{\tau+j}{p} ## so then we have:

## \frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau'+1}{p}) =\frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau'}{p}) ##

I don't know a lot about modular forms, but I do follow their proof. As for your question, I could see why ##f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}+1)=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})## but I don't see why you think ##f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p})=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##.

Dick said:
I don't know a lot about modular forms, but I do follow their proof. As for your question, I could see why ##f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}+1)=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})## but I don't see why you think ##f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p})=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##.

Thank you for your reply.
I see ##f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}+1)=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##

But I thought ##f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p})=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})## is true too for the same reason that ##f(p(t+1))=f(p(t))##- factoring out the ##p##.. so i thought it would also be true that ## f(\frac{1}{p}(t+1))=f(\frac{1}{p}t) ## and then using this but were we shift ##t ## by ##j##?

binbagsss said:
Thank you for your reply.
I see ##f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}+1)=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##

But I thought ##f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p})=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})## is true too for the same reason that ##f(p(t+1))=f(p(t))##- factoring out the ##p##.. so i thought it would also be true that ## f(\frac{1}{p}(t+1))=f(\frac{1}{p}t) ## and then using this but were we shift ##t ## by ##j##?

## f(p(t+1))=f(p(t))## isn't true because of any 'factoring out of ##p##'. It's true because ##f(p(t+1))=f(pt+p)## and p is an integer. If ##f(t+1)=f(t)## then also ##f(t+2)=f(t+1)=f(t)##. So ##f(t+n)=f(t)## for ##n## any integer. ##f## is periodic with period 1.

Related to Modular forms, Hecke Operator, translation property

1. What are modular forms?

Modular forms are complex-valued functions that satisfy certain transformation properties under the modular group. They are important objects in number theory and have applications in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, representation theory, and cryptography.

2. What is the Hecke operator?

The Hecke operator is a linear operator that acts on modular forms and is defined in terms of certain integral operators. It plays a crucial role in the theory of modular forms and has connections to number theory, algebraic geometry, and representation theory.

3. How does the Hecke operator relate to modular forms?

The Hecke operator acts on modular forms by modifying their Fourier coefficients in a systematic way. This allows for the construction of new modular forms from existing ones, and also provides a way to study the properties of modular forms through the action of the Hecke operator.

4. What is the translation property of modular forms?

The translation property of modular forms refers to their behavior under translations by elements of the modular group. Specifically, a modular form will have a certain transformation behavior under all elements of the modular group, which is captured by the translation property.

5. What are some applications of modular forms and the Hecke operator?

Modular forms and the Hecke operator have applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, representation theory, and cryptography. They have been used to study the distribution of prime numbers, to prove deep results in algebraic geometry, to construct new representations of groups, and to design secure cryptographic protocols.