Modular Forms, Eisenstein series, show it transforms with modular of weight 2

However, we can use the formula for ##Im(S.\tau)## for ##G=SL_2(R)## and extend it to ##SL_2(Z)##, showing that ##1/Im(\tau)## also transforms with weight ##2##. This suggests that there may be an issue with taking into account the action at infinity.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I need to show that

e2.jpg

transforms with modular of weight ##2## for ##SL_2(Z)##

We have the theorem that it is sufficient to check the generators S and T
st.jpg

We have that E_2 is (whilst holomorphic) fails to transform with modular weight ##2## as it has this extra term when checking for ##S##:

here.png

where transforming with weight ##2## means (for ##S##):

##f(S.\tau)=\tau^{2}f(\tau)##Therefore we expect a cancellation from the ##Im (\tau)## term

We have
sol.png

MY QUESTION
- I follow this solution and this is fine
- I guess I am doing something pretty stupid, but we have the following formula
im tau.png

for ##G=SL_2(R)## and since ##Z \in R## we have ##SL_2(Z) \in SL_2(R)##, so the above also holds for ##SL_2(Z) ## and so this gives:

##Im(S.\tau)=\frac{Im(\tau)}{\tau^2}##- so ##1/Im(\tau)## transforms with modular weight ##2## itself, and so is not cancelling
- I perhaps thought there may have been an issue that ##\infty## is not taken into account, but it also says the action on ##G## extends to ##\infty## , as I've said I follow the above solution, but have no idea what is wrong with using this formula.

Many thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
We have that E_2 is (whilst holomorphic) fails to transform with modular weight ##2## as it has this extra term when checking for ##S##: where transforming with weight ##2## means (for ##S##):##f(S.\tau)=\tau^{2}f(\tau)##Therefore we expect a cancellation from the ##Im (\tau)## term which isn't present.

Related to Modular Forms, Eisenstein series, show it transforms with modular of weight 2

1. What are modular forms?

Modular forms are complex-valued functions that satisfy certain transformation properties with respect to a discrete subgroup of the complex numbers called the modular group. They are important objects in number theory and have applications in various fields of mathematics.

2. What are Eisenstein series?

Eisenstein series are a special type of modular form that arises from the expansion of the reciprocal of the Dedekind eta function. They are named after the German mathematician Ferdinand Eisenstein and are an important tool in the study of modular forms and their properties.

3. What does it mean for a form to transform with modular weight 2?

A modular form transforming with modular weight 2 means that it satisfies a specific transformation property with respect to the modular group, where the weight of the form is equal to 2. This transformation property is essential in understanding the behavior and properties of modular forms.

4. How are modular forms and Eisenstein series related?

Eisenstein series are a special type of modular form, so they share many of the same properties and transformations. However, Eisenstein series have a higher level of symmetry compared to other modular forms, making them useful in certain calculations and applications.

5. Why is it important for a form to transform with modular weight 2?

The transformation property of modular forms with weight 2 is important because it allows us to define a space of modular forms and study their properties. This property also leads to the discovery of many interesting and useful results in number theory, algebraic geometry, and other areas of mathematics.