Modified Newtonian Dynamics vs. Quantum Gravity

In summary: MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics) is a classical theory that modifies the laws of gravity to explain the observed rotational curves of galaxies without the need for dark matter. A proper quantum view of gravity would not give the same results, as it would involve a different understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions at play. Instead, it could potentially offer alternative explanations for the observed phenomena.
sderamus
OK. I'm sure this is probably been considered before but it is my musings coming off a recent attempt to photograph the Andromeda Galaxy. I did a few two minutes or so shots of Andromeda and stacked them for a total of about 14 minutes. Fairly nice. There is some structure to be seen but nothing like photographs in magazines. (I'm just getting started in this field). I compared it to some really nice shots of Andromeda and see to really get a good shot of it I need a total nine hour exposure. Wow! But more importantly, why? Simple, because light is not a continuous wave, it's a photon, a quantum particle. If I just look at Andromeda through my telescope, I just see a fuzzy cloud in the sky with none of the grand structure one sees in long exposures. My eye isn't integrating the photons. So many of the emitted photons from the stars in Andromeda aren't being captured by my eye. Even if I got so close to Andromeda as it filled my naked eye field of view, it would still appear as a fuzzy spot with little or no structure. You would not view it as one does in photographs of it. The photons are just too rare.

So if Gravity is also just the result of gravitons, wouldn't that create the same phenomenon? If you are so far away from a graviton source, you are missing a large amount of gravitons, it's not merely diffuse. You just aren't interacting at all with the source. At least some of the time. But you are also moving. You are rotating around the center of the Galaxy, which is your primary source of gravitons. But you are missing a lot of them. Thus would that create the rotation problem we observe?

So would a proper quantum view of gravity give the same results as MOND? And thus obviate the need for dark matter?Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
sderamus said:
I compared it to some really nice shots of Andromeda and see to really get a good shot of it I need a total nine hour exposure.
Or a larger and better telescope, or a better camera (lower noise, better photon efficiency).
sderamus said:
If I just look at Andromeda through my telescope, I just see a fuzzy cloud in the sky with none of the grand structure one sees in long exposures.
True, but this has nothing to do with quantum mechanics.
sderamus said:
Even if I got so close to Andromeda as it filled my naked eye field of view, it would still appear as a fuzzy spot with little or no structure.
You would see a structure then.
sderamus said:
So if Gravity is also just the result of gravitons
Be careful here. At best (and even this is speculative), gravitons might be a useful concept to describe gravitational waves and perturbative effects. The classical gravitational attraction is better described by a field, in the same way you don't use photons to describe the static field around a nucleus (you can, but it is impractical).
sderamus said:
You just aren't interacting at all with the source.
You are. Always.
sderamus said:
At least some of the time. But you are also moving. You are rotating around the center of the Galaxy, which is your primary source of gravitons. But you are missing a lot of them. Thus would that create the rotation problem we observe?
This does not make sense.
sderamus said:
So would a proper quantum view of gravity give the same results as MOND?
No.

Related to Modified Newtonian Dynamics vs. Quantum Gravity

1. What is the difference between Modified Newtonian Dynamics and Quantum Gravity?

Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) is a theory that proposes a modification of Newton's laws of motion to explain the observed discrepancies in the rotation curves of galaxies without the need for dark matter. On the other hand, Quantum Gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile Einstein's theory of general relativity with quantum mechanics to provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental nature of gravity.

2. Which theory is currently more widely accepted in the scientific community?

Currently, Quantum Gravity is more widely accepted in the scientific community as it is supported by a vast amount of experimental evidence and is considered to be a more complete and fundamental theory compared to MOND.

3. Can MOND and Quantum Gravity be unified?

There have been attempts to unify MOND and Quantum Gravity, but so far, no successful theory has been developed. Both theories have their own limitations and challenges, making it difficult to merge them into a single framework.

4. How do these theories impact our understanding of the universe?

Both MOND and Quantum Gravity have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. MOND challenges our current understanding of gravity and the need for dark matter, while Quantum Gravity has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of nature, including gravity.

5. Are there any practical applications of these theories?

While MOND and Quantum Gravity are primarily theoretical concepts, they have potential practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology. For example, a better understanding of gravity could lead to more accurate predictions of the behavior of celestial bodies, and advancements in Quantum Gravity could have implications for technologies such as quantum computing.