Flat arena for quantum gravity?

In summary, background independence is not something Einstein demanded or anticipated of his theory of general relativity. It took him 2 years to appreciate this aspect of the theory.
gerald V
TL;DR Summary
Will background independence hold down to the quantum scale? Is there research on alternatives?
In a textbook, which is not in Englisch language unfortunately, I found a passage saying that intrinsic curvature of spacetime is just a specific definition. The alternative definition is that spacetime is flat, whereas clocks and rods have variable lengths - which is just Feynman’s bug.

Currently one thinks that the above two definitions are equally good and that the flat spacetime is unobsorvable. This is supported from observation, which however has not yet reached the quantum scale. Regarding theory, quantum gravity has not been achieved a century after Planck and Einstein because of the lack of an arena. Disconcertingly, one obesssively removes any reference to an arena even where it would appear quite naturally. „Background independence“ is a strict dogma, which however has Einsteinian gravity (using Riemannian mathematics) as its only scientific justification.

To me it appears as highly likely that at the quantum level it will turn out that the said definitions are not equal. Rather, there actually is a prior intrinsically flat space, and variable clocks and rods live in this arena. This variability has a dynamic, which can be quantized above the flat background.My questions:

- Why does one so strongly believe that background independence will hold down to the quantum scale?

- Didn’t the genius Einstein make a couple of highly sophisticated mistakes (the introduction and withdrawal of the cosmological constant, as well as the assumed locality of quantum interactions as the most prominent), and isn’t background independence likely to be another such sophisticated mistake?

- Is there research and respective literature on the possibility of a flat arena for quantum gravity?

Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, background independence was not something Einstein demanded or anticipated of his theory of general relativity. It took him 2 years to appreciate this aspect of the theory. See the infamous "hole argument".

Afaik it's not clear whether background independence is GR's deep lesson for quantum gravity. But e.g. in string theory it's quite odd to quantize on a flat spacetime, only to find out dozens of pages with calculations later that due to the very existence of a spin-2 oscillation and its corresponding beta-function (giving the Einstein vacuum eqns) that this is consistent to start with in the first place. For me that's a reason to suspect that string theory should be formulated in a background independent way.

How? I don't know obviously.

Likes ohwilleke
haushofer said:
Afaik it's not clear whether background independence is GR's deep lesson for quantum gravity.
Really? Most relativists will tell you it actually is. In fact, the only people I have seen casting doubt on that are precisely string theorists, with very little convincing argumentation. Time to stop giving these people so much credit and start to challenge their BS. Decades have passed, none of the promises delivered.

Likes weirdoguy
haushofer said:
Really.
Thank you for your argumets... as usual in this topic. Sigh.

aleazk said:
Thank you for your argumets... as usual in this topic. Sigh.
I'm giving an argument why I suspect that string theory in its current background dependent formulation is lacking, an argument pro background independence, and you start a rant about string theory. So yeah, you got me a bit puzzled here.

And btw, I'm not a string theorist. But e.g. Fierz-Pauli theory shows how a bbackground dependent theory can become background independent by imposing the right principle.

In my experience some critics of ST treat background dependency as some sort of disease. But the Fierz-Pauli example shows them wrong. Also, a background dependent formulation allows you to do scattering calculations, define propagators, show that Minkowski spacetime is a classical vacuum solution, etc. Things which, e.g. in LQG, afaik are much more difficult to obtain than in ST. So then an honest question is: how much should one value such a background independent formulation?

Sorry for my bullshit, I won't bother you with it anymore.

Last edited:

1. What is a flat arena for quantum gravity?

A flat arena for quantum gravity is a theoretical concept in which the curvature of space-time is considered to be zero. This means that all objects in the universe would move in straight lines and at a constant speed, without being affected by gravity. It is a simplified version of general relativity that is used to study the behavior of particles at very small scales.

2. Why is a flat arena important for studying quantum gravity?

A flat arena is important for studying quantum gravity because it allows us to isolate and understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity without the complexities of curved space-time. It also provides a framework for testing and developing new theories of quantum gravity.

3. How is a flat arena different from the curved space-time of general relativity?

In general relativity, the presence of massive objects causes space-time to curve, which in turn affects the motion of objects and the propagation of light. In a flat arena, space-time is considered to be flat and objects move in straight lines, independent of any gravitational effects. This simplification allows for a more precise study of quantum gravity.

4. What are some potential implications of a flat arena for quantum gravity?

One potential implication of a flat arena for quantum gravity is that it could lead to a better understanding of the nature of space-time and the fundamental forces of the universe. It could also help reconcile the discrepancies between general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are two of the most successful theories in physics but are currently incompatible with each other.

5. How do scientists study a flat arena for quantum gravity?

Scientists study a flat arena for quantum gravity through a combination of theoretical and experimental approaches. This includes mathematical models, computer simulations, and experiments using particle accelerators and other high-energy physics tools. By analyzing the behavior of particles and the effects of gravity in a flat arena, scientists can gain insights into the fundamental principles of quantum gravity.