Abt seeing the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye in future

In summary, the Andromeda galaxy is approaching the Milky Way galaxy and has a much larger subtended angle than the moon or sun. It can currently be seen as a fuzzy object in the night sky, but not as large as the moon. The question is how many years in the future will the Andromeda galaxy be visible to the naked eye as big as the moon. This depends on the decrease in distance and the increase in angle subtended, but the exact calculation requires knowledge of how the brightness of the galaxy decreases with distance.
Algren
According to what I've read, the andromeda galaxy is approaching the milky way galaxy.
Also, I've just recently discovered (on the net) that andromeda has a much larger subtended angle than the moon or sun. Hence, as it approaches it's angle subtended will keep increasing.
I've also known that the andromeda can be seen as a fuzzy something in the night's sky at a remote place at sea level to the naked eye., but i don't think its as large as the moon.
So, my question is (could not put the full question in the heading):
How many years in the future will the present "naked eye" of a human be able to see a fuzzy silhouette of the andromeda galaxy as big as the moon? I can only see 2 factors to be considered, the increasing angle subtended of the andromeda galaxy and the decrease of the distance light has to travel, but i do not know the math. The state of Earth's atmosphere in the future cannot be determined, i guess, so you can use its present state.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've just read in Wiki that M31's virtual diameter is already 6 times as big as the moon's. It should be an easy trigonometric task to calculate it: 140,000 lyrs in diameter, 2.5 million lyrs away, at 114 km/s approaching Milky Way, collision in 4-10 billion years.

fresh_42 said:
I've just read in Wiki that M31's virtual diameter is already 6 times as big as the moon's. It should be an easy trigonometric task to calculate it: 140,000 lyrs in diameter, 2.5 million lyrs away, at 114 km/s approaching Milky Way, collision in 4-10 billion years.
You seemed to have mis understood my question. The collision part i understand, and also i understand the virtual diameter thing. What I'm asking about is how many more years down the line will we start seeing the andromeda bigger than the moon. All we see right now (with the naked eye) is some fuzziness much smaller than the moon.

Algren said:
All we see right now (with the naked eye) is some fuzziness much smaller than the moon.

Depends on where you are. In very dark places, you can see a greater extent of it. My memory from my younger days, a time when very dark skies were available to me, it looked like it might have been as long as the moon. (A naked-eye comparison is impossible)

So if you were on the back side of the moon, perhaps you could see much more of it naked eye.

Algren said:
You seemed to have mis understood my question. The collision part i understand, and also i understand the virtual diameter thing. What I'm asking about is how many more years down the line will we start seeing the andromeda bigger than the moon. All we see right now (with the naked eye) is some fuzziness much smaller than the moon.

Right now with the naked eye we can only see the central nucleus of Andromeda as it is the brightest part of the galaxy. The rest is just too dim. As it gets closer, the rest will begin to become visible. However, at the same time, the apparent size of the visible nucleus will increase. The brightness decreases sharply outside the nucleus area and then falls off more slowly. As it gets closer the nucleus will increase in apparent size and we will see more of the galaxy outside of the nucleus. Exactly when these two effects will result in an naked eye visible image of the galaxy depends on just how the brightness of the galaxy decreases with distance from the nucleus.

litup said:
So if you were on the back side of the moon, perhaps you could see much more of it naked eye.
Because there's no blanket of gas to conceal it, yes and perhaps. One should assume equatorial atmosphere over the pacific ocean?

Janus said:
Exactly when these two effects will result in an naked eye visible image of the galaxy depends on just how the brightness of the galaxy decreases with distance from the nucleus.
You have understood my question exactly, but is it too much to ask for the subsequent math and number? I do not know the math.

1. Will it be possible to see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye in the future?

Yes, it is very likely that the Andromeda Galaxy will be visible to the naked eye in the future. However, the exact timeline is uncertain and could range from thousands to millions of years.

2. Why is it not visible to the naked eye currently?

The Andromeda Galaxy is currently too dim to be seen with the naked eye due to its distance from Earth. It is approximately 2.5 million light years away, which means the light we see from it is extremely faint.

3. What changes will occur in the Andromeda Galaxy to make it visible to the naked eye?

In the future, the Andromeda Galaxy will collide with our own Milky Way Galaxy. This collision will cause a dramatic increase in brightness and size, making it visible to the naked eye.

4. How will this impact Earth and its inhabitants?

The collision of the Andromeda Galaxy with the Milky Way will not have a direct impact on Earth and its inhabitants. The galaxies are so vast and the distances between stars are so great that it is unlikely any individual star or planet will collide.

5. Can we see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye from anywhere on Earth?

Yes, the Andromeda Galaxy will eventually be visible to the naked eye from anywhere on Earth. However, the best viewing locations will be in areas with little light pollution and clear skies.