Modeling a power as sum of combination

In summary, the equation 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i) can be modeled using combinations and represents the number of ways to choose a specific number of items from a selection of 3, with a limit of n items. This can be applied to various real-life situations, such as choosing toppings for a pizza. I hope this explanation helps you understand the equation better.
johnhaddad

Homework Statement

I am trying to come up with a logical explanation (using an example from real life modeled in Combination and/or Permutation) to show that 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i). In other words, I am trying to pose a combinatorial/selection/combination question that then can be modeled as both sides of the equation.

Homework Equations

Combinations and Permutations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My trial is that 3^n could be modeled as having 3 boxes and we are placing n items in it (eg. balls). So, if we pick n=5, it is as selecting 3 balls to put in box one, then returning them, then selecting 3 balls to put in box 2, then returning..etc while the order of selection is "don't care". However, I still can't show how that translates into the right side of the equation. Any help or pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org

I believe I have a logical explanation for the equation 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i). Let us consider a real-life example of a pizza restaurant that offers 3 different toppings: pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions. The restaurant offers a special deal where customers can choose any combination of toppings for their pizza, with a limit of n toppings.

Now, let's say a group of friends wants to order a pizza with exactly 5 toppings. We can model this situation using combinations, where we have 3 choices for each topping and we need to choose 5 toppings in total. This can be represented as 5C5 or (5 choose 5), which equals 1. This means there is only 1 way to choose 5 toppings from a selection of 3.

However, if we look at the right side of the equation, we can see that it is a summation of (n choose i)*(2^i), where n is the total number of toppings and i represents the number of toppings from a specific topping group. In our pizza example, n=5 and we can have i=0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

Now, let's break down the right side of the equation. When i=0, we have (5 choose 0)*(2^0) = 1*1 = 1, which represents the number of ways to choose 0 toppings from a selection of 3. This makes sense, as we can simply choose no toppings at all.

When i=1, we have (5 choose 1)*(2^1) = 5*2 = 10, which represents the number of ways to choose 1 topping from a selection of 3. This makes sense, as we can choose any one of the 3 toppings and then add an extra topping of our choice.

Similarly, when i=2, we have (5 choose 2)*(2^2) = 10*4 = 40, which represents the number of ways to choose 2 toppings from a selection of 3. This makes sense, as we can choose any two of the 3 toppings and then add an extra topping of our choice.

Continuing this pattern, we can see that the summation on the right side of the equation represents all the possible combinations

Related to Modeling a power as sum of combination

1. What is the purpose of modeling a power as a sum of combinations?

The purpose of modeling a power as a sum of combinations is to simplify complex mathematical expressions and make them easier to solve. By breaking down a power into smaller combinations, we can use mathematical properties and formulas to find the solution more efficiently.

2. What are the steps to model a power as a sum of combinations?

The steps to model a power as a sum of combinations are:

1. Identify the power and its base.
  2. Write the power as a product of its prime factors.
  3. Rearrange the factors into combinations.
  4. Write the power as a sum of these combinations.

3. Can all powers be modeled as a sum of combinations?

Yes, all powers can be modeled as a sum of combinations. This is because all numbers can be expressed as a product of prime factors, and by rearranging these factors, we can find combinations that make up the original power.

4. How can modeling a power as a sum of combinations be used in real-world applications?

Modeling a power as a sum of combinations can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in solving complex equations and making predictions based on mathematical models.

5. Are there any limitations to modeling a power as a sum of combinations?

Modeling a power as a sum of combinations may not always result in the most efficient solution. In some cases, other methods or techniques may be more suitable. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all mathematical expressions, such as those involving irrational numbers.